The 98 Greatest Songs of 1998

Started by Lazarus, May 29, 2018, 02:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlowerBomb

Still deserves to be No.1 though :raycharles2urmess:

b7

I wouldn?t trip off of the top 5 when the entire list is in a strange order with MANY songs actually missing from this list

All different writers participated here, and, this list wasn?t done based on chart success. Seems to be more about defining songs of that year and such. 

I love their choice for #1. I?m a Li tho too so i smile whenever i read about her or Bran during this time
:stressed:
No sympathy needed when you?ve impacted and change the game forever

Young

Yeah AYTS is truly one of a kind

It?s my favorite mess from Queen actually

ssw4919

Quote from: Guilty on May 30, 2018, 03:19:46 AM
AOTY was sonically ahead of TBIM, but I see what you mean, this is based on chart success.

It is not.  A few songs they listed did not chart.  They mention chart success, but were just talking about overall musical appeal.

Aalumeci.

Quote from: TriBeCa on May 30, 2018, 03:17:01 AM
More pity and sympathy votes for Aaliyah. She doesn't deserve #1 when Brandy and Monica had the #1 song of the entire year, spending 13 weeks at #1 and going double platinum which was massive and rare at the time. They also had the #1 video of the year on MTV and BET's year end countdown.

CriBeCa, we?re on BSource...we know the stats fag. It?s 2018, anyone with a pity vote has long cast it. The fact is, TBIM did a lot of things AYTS didn?t, and AYTS is a lot of things TBIM isn?t. You gotta be dumb to deny AYTS, and more dumb to miss that this list isn?t based on 13 weeks at #1.

Lazarus

This list is isn't based off chart success. I believe Aaliyah's AYTS deserved to be No.1 rightfully so. Sonically, it was a ahead of its time. TBIM is deserved to be in the Top 5 which is it. It was the song of the year.

TriBeCa

May 30, 2018, 02:44:37 PM #51 Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 02:45:28 PM by TriBeCa
You guys can say what you want but The Boy Is Mine / NEVER SAY NEVER is what changed the sound of R&B and influenced even the major players at the time. Who went on to work with Timbaland? Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado. Who was inspired to work with Rodney? Whitney had her comeback hit with It's Not Right But Its Okay. Michael Jackson had his comeback hit with Rock My World. Destiny's Child had their breakout smash with Say My Name. Toni came back with a #1 hit He's Wasn't Man Enough. Britney, Janet, Ciara, etc etc etc. None of that would've happened if Brandy didn't hire Rodney.

FlowerBomb

Quote from: TriBeCa on May 30, 2018, 02:44:37 PM
You guys can say what you want but The Boy Is Mine / NEVER SAY NEVER is what changed the sound of R&B and influenced even the major players at the time. Who went on to work with Timbaland? Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado. Who was inspired to work with Rodney? Whitney had her comeback hit with It's Not Right But Its Okay. Michael Jackson had his comeback hit with Rock My World. Destiny's Child had their breakout smash with Say My Name. Toni came back with a #1 hit He's Wasn't Man Enough. Britney, Janet, Ciara, etc etc etc. None of that would've happened if Brandy didn't hire Rodney.
:dead:

🦚

Nelly and Justin both worked with Tim before her.

She def put Rodney on the mainstream market

Hear 'em swarmin', right? (Zz) 🐝 🐝  is known to bite (Zz, zz)
——————///——————-
https://justiceforbreonna.org/

RAY7

Quote from: TriBeCa on May 30, 2018, 02:44:37 PM
You guys can say what you want but The Boy Is Mine / NEVER SAY NEVER is what changed the sound of R&B and influenced even the major players at the time. Who went on to work with Timbaland? Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado.
Brandy, Beyonce, Jay, DC4, Nas, Ginuwine
Im with you on Bran>Aaliyah, but you're kinda doing the most right now :dead:

ssw4919

Are you suggesting Timbaland didn?t influence and change the sound of R&B in the mid-late nineties?

That?s a lie.

This list doesn?t change anyone?s success.  AYTS slayed And is still remade and sampled today.  TBIM was the #2 Billboard smash that year, and one of the biggest songs of the decade.  It?s just a list.  :usureuok:

BAPHOMET.

I just played AYTS and got chills

Kaeli.

You can hear TBIM/NSN impact on R&B and Pop from like 1998-2000 but I don?t see what that has to do with AYTS being ahead of its time too

& why is chart success being discussed on a list on taste

Kaeli.

And Timbaland didn?t produce TBIM, unless I?m missing something...:diddraispoot:

🦚

Quote from: Baph 305. on May 30, 2018, 03:09:21 PM
I just played AYTS and got chills

It was my fav song and video of 98

The top 2 here is spot on with my top 2 that year.
Hear 'em swarmin', right? (Zz) 🐝 🐝  is known to bite (Zz, zz)
——————///——————-
https://justiceforbreonna.org/