The 2016 MTV VMA Thread [Winners On First Page]

Started by charlie., August 28, 2016, 12:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garlic

Quote from: Chokeme on August 29, 2016, 03:14:42 AM
Billboard Ranked the performances from worst to best

Kinda edgy

#7 Future

While it was a solid delivery of the instant classic "Fuck Up Some Commas," his low energy stage presence and minimal choreography place it at the bottom of our list. We're not saying we didn't like it, but when every other 2016 VMAs performance was an A or A-, this B+ performance was out least favorite.

#6 The Chainsmokers & Halsey

While "Closer" is a killer combination of two rising talents, it didn't sound quite right at the VMAs. The Chainsmokers' vocal portion of the song was a little weak, and the level of showmanship could have used a little bit of a visual boost -- especially considering the staggering level of artistry Beyonce brought just before they took the stage.

#5 Britney Spears & G-Eazy

Yes, Britney was lip-syncing, but her VMAs performance of "Make Me" was as beguiling as the song itself. It opened with Britney's silhouette performing behind a glowing panel while massive, shadowy arms reach for her, trying to grab her without ever quite succeeding. After G-Eazy came out to deliver his verse, she returned the favor by singing the Bebe Rexha hook on his hit "Me, Myself & I" (while crawling under his legs) before returning back to "Make Me." A solid VMAs return for Britney, whose 2001 VMAs moment is arguably the show's most iconic performance of all time.

#4 Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj

Two years after taking the stage together for "Bang Bang" at the 2014 VMAs, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj were back together for another VMAs victory this year. Turning out their reggae-tinged "Side to Side" from Grande's Dangerous Woman album, they augmented the laid-back jam with some highly energy choreography. Ariana and her dancers pumped the exercise bikes (OK Go would be proud) at the start of the song, after which Ari hopped off to lift some weights and hit the pommel horse in a nod to the recent Olympics.

#3 Nick Jonas & Ty Dolla $ign

Even vegetarians had to be digging Nick Jonas' "Bacon" during the VMAs. The smooth crooner took the VMAs' cameras outside of Madison Square Garden and through a tour of midtown NYC diner Tick Tock. Jonas served his "Bacon" to a restaurant full of patrons, including Joe Jonas and DNCE. Outside the diner on 34th & 8th, Ty rapped his verse while lowriders bounced to infinity and beyond. Jonas gets bonus points for the inventiveness of his performance.

#2 Rihanna
Rihanna was given the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the VMAs by Drake. But instead of delivering one lengthy performance of career highlights, Rih split her VMAs performance into four parts, each one focusing on the different sonic palettes in her discography.

#1 Beyonce

The cinematography of Beyonce's performance was unlike anything you see at an awards show, too. Instead of sharp realism, the camera's focus was soft, gauzy and otherwordly, bringing to mind televised disco performances from the '70s or even the original Battlestar Galactica. After "Sorry" and "Don't Hurt Yourself," she closed with -- what else -- "Formation." While VMA medleys have run longer in the past, they never felt this fully realized. Simply put, Beyonce brought capital 'A' Art to the 2016 VMAs.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/vma/7487968/2016-vmas-performances-ranked

guess we know who's the true queen of the night

b7

This Key and Peele shit is really making me feel uncomfortable. I know they're black or whatever but it seems like they're poking fun at our culture or something. I'm not feeling this parody shit

Bey's performance was good but not what I expected. The Self titled medley >>>>

b7

Tracee Ellis ross should've hosted this one too tbh

b7

Rih's third stint on stage should've been the second one instead  :-/

Bringing the "Work" video to the stage was epic. Should've closed the show with THAT

MelMel

That third stint with Needed Me though and those vocals   :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :dead: :dead: :dead: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop:

LordB

I wonder what's next for bey. The tour ends in October. And the Grammys are still like 6 months away and we all know sis ain't doing any other promo/award shows/talk shows

I feel like these melody performances are like ha final nails in the coffin for her eras

:stressed:

b7

Wooo

Rihanna better sing on this love on the brain. you can tell she loves this fuckin song

b7

Quote from: Trey on August 28, 2016, 11:35:26 PM
Quote from: GRAND on August 28, 2016, 11:33:49 PM
DFSNFNNSMMNNFSNFSND

no really

its kinda fcked up they keep giving these to bey after honoring that other girl

:diddraispoot:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I've ever seen an icon recipient not win Video of the Year.....
Rih's award is about the totality of her career up to this point though. Not just 2016

b7

Quote from: GRAND on August 28, 2016, 11:53:29 PM
DSN<DFSMDS<DFMFS

'thank you drake for that amazing speech'

im sorry sdddddddddd, why isnt the love ever reciprocated
yeah I'm kinda cringing dfdddffff the awkward embrace/kiss and the fact that she isn't really acknowledging him. He barely even seems like the homie right now 

eek. But I'm glad she got to finish off her night like that. well deserved

b7

I love how neither of the top two dogs outshined the other. They slayed and owned the night in their own signature way

b7

Quote from: imani on August 29, 2016, 12:15:11 AM
Drake is so in love with Rih, guys :plzstop: I can tell. The way he dressed to the 9's for sis like it's the Oscars. :uhh: She should marry him tbh.
girls like her always like the bad boy

I don't see it, unfortunately. She should definitely marry someone that cares for her like that tho

b7

Quote from: CH∆RLIЄ. on August 29, 2016, 12:25:35 AM
dsddssd

Yeah Nicki was pissed about something.ddddd

she left right after her performance
https://twitter.com/youneededlexi/status/770103585141100545?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
n

Honestly couldn't tell the difference. her stage presence is pretty consistently mediocre at best

MelMel

Quote from: Baphomet. on August 28, 2016, 10:57:25 PM
Quote from: Chao on August 28, 2016, 10:56:50 PM
Quote from: Baphomet. on August 28, 2016, 10:55:46 PM
Brit barely did anything and she performed one of the two worst songs on Glory. Im not fucking clapping.
!!!!

she coulda got herself a lil medley

if am dancin
shoulda been in there

yea, and "Better"  :ohwow:
yes Better would  have been better