prisoner kills gay cellmate after asking to be moved away from him

Started by shante smith, December 05, 2021, 01:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAY7

Quote from: Lady of Lithuania on December 05, 2021, 10:37:13 PM
"get into it" was his way of saying someone's about to get hurt.

i doubt the gay guy was an aggressor in this situation, considering the hetero guy says he complained about him from the moment he laid eyes on him.
before the gay guy even opened his mouth, he wanted to get away from him.

this wasn't a "fight". it was a hate crime about to unfold.
this is true, however the prison didn't know it was gonna be this. Two grown able bodied adult criminals were in that cell. Anything could've happened

ophmani

Quote from: Lady of Lithuania on December 05, 2021, 09:05:49 PM
i think if an inmate is clearly homophobic and is requesting to be moved from a gay cellmate, the prison should take action.

vbvv v cvbbvcccvvvvvvvbvvvvvvvvv

ms. teacher, can i move seats?! ion like him!

:plzstop:
this type bitch have u wylin'
hit this shit in the islands

shante smith

Quote from: RAY7 on December 05, 2021, 11:07:08 PM

i doubt the gay guy was an aggressor in this situation, considering the hetero guy says he complained about him from the moment he laid eyes on him.

this is true, however the prison didn't know it was gonna be this. Two grown able bodied adult criminals were in that cell. Anything could've happened
labeling them both as criminals is assuming that they're both guilty of whatever they're being held for

Maybe it's fair to say that for the killer , given his behavior it's more likely he has a past of aggression and violence   but we don't know what the gay man was guilty of.

Totally unfair to brand him as a criminal who's capable of anything with absolutely no knowledge of who he was .

shante smith

Quote from: ophliyah on December 05, 2021, 11:20:59 PM
Quote from: Lady of Lithuania on December 05, 2021, 09:05:49 PM
i think if an inmate is clearly homophobic and is requesting to be moved from a gay cellmate, the prison should take action.

vbvv v cvbbvcccvvvvvvvbvvvvvvvvv

ms. teacher, can i move seats?! ion like him!

:plzstop:
that's a great comparison ! makes total sense

shante smith

December 06, 2021, 03:58:58 AM #34 Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 03:59:52 AM by Lady of Lithuania
If I were the gay guy in that cell and I knew this crazily anxious homophobic man was tryna get away from me ... I woulda been banging on doors and writing letters  tryna get him out and away from me too

Like how can I help him in this mission. Let's get you tf outta here before you lose it.

But It's very likely he didn't know the guy was tryna get away from him. I highly doubt the hetero was sitting having heart to heart convos with him about the mission.

Dr Naomi Campbell

December 06, 2021, 04:32:32 AM #35 Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 04:36:08 AM by Naomi’s cheekbones
It's both the prisoner and the prisons fault.
The prison should've done what they could to safeguard vulnerable prisoners, if there is an active threat against another prisoner based on gender, race, sexuality etc then they have a duty and responsibility to act upon it. It's law and policy.

I get that it's not high school, and these are adults but all prisons DO have safeguarding measures in place to protect more vulnerable prisoners who may be more and susceptible to other prisoners who are in for more serious crimes like rape and murder. ESPECIALLY when there is a threat of harm against another prisoner simply for being gay  :dead:
That's why there are separate wings for levels of crime and offenders, mental health prisoners are kept away from the general population, those who are vulnerable due to their sexuality and the way they present are also kept separate and etc etc

Cowgirl

shante smith

Quote from: Naomi's cheekbones on December 06, 2021, 04:32:32 AM
It's both the prisoner and the prisons fault.
The prison should've done what they could to safeguard vulnerable prisoners, if there is an active threat against another prisoner based on gender, race, sexuality etc then they have a duty and responsibility to act upon it. It's law and policy.

I get that it's not high school, and these are adults but all prisons DO have safeguarding measures in place to protect more vulnerable prisoners who may be more and susceptible to other prisoners who are in for more serious crimes like rape and murder. ESPECIALLY when there is a threat of harm against another prisoner simply for being gay  :dead:
That's why there are separate wings for levels of crime and offenders, mental health prisoners are kept away from the general population, those who are vulnerable due to their sexuality and the way they present are also kept separate and etc etc
!!!!

The fact that gay men are thrown in general population to begin with is a no no . Before we even get to any specific case by case details

There are some prisons in America that realize this and actually have areas of the prison specifically for gay men . It's very few but they exist . The others just need to catch up

And We have to be careful with saying things like "you did the crime , now you have no rights in prison! It's what you deserve! Just do your time and shut up" because thoughts like that are flirting with dehumanization. We still have people locked up for just selling an ounce of weed in areas where it's not yet legalized, etc. so we should at least find out what landed them there before feeling that stripping someone of their rights is justified .

Dr Naomi Campbell

QuoteThe defendants are Warden Catherine S. Bauman, Deputy Warden Robert Wickstrom, prison Administrator Dean Potilla and 18 other staff members.

Inmates and corrections officer knew not only that Burks was homosexual, but that Madden was "homophobic," states the lawsuit filed by the Geoffrey Fieger law firm on behalf of Burks' mother, Dequita Burks. She is the personal representative of Rodriguez Burks' estate.

The lawsuit alleges that both men asked to be separated, and that Madden repeatedly told a corrections officer that if he wasn't moved, "'I'm gonna hurt this guy.'"

"However, each of the Defendants named herein ignored the threats and simply left Madden and the decedent Rodriguez Burks, in the same cell knowing that harm would result" to Burks, the lawsuit states.

Burks was found dead in his cell on July 20, 2017, lying face down and suffering from a traumatic head injury, the lawsuit states. Burks' death came two days after Madden was placed in the cell with him.

The prison failed to have policies in place to identify and protect inmates, especially homosexuals and African Americans, from harm, the lawsuit alleges.

Burks had been sentenced to prison in December 2016 for fleeing and eluding police and receiving stolen property, and was classified as level 4 security, according to the lawsuit.

Madden, a security level 5 inmate, was transferred to Alger on July 18, 2017, from the Marquette Correctional Facility because of overcrowding, according to the lawsuit. Madden is serving a sentence for carjacking, assault with intent to murder and armed robbery.

Like c'mon
It's clear cut :dead:

Dr Naomi Campbell

He's in for armed robbery and attempted murder  :dead:
Did they think he was going to enage him in a vogue battle?

RAY7

Quote from: Naomi's cheekbones on December 06, 2021, 07:43:20 AM

so, because the dude that died is gay
That means he's weak and only can "Vogue" and not defend himself?

Dr Naomi Campbell

Quote from: RAY7 on December 06, 2021, 07:51:52 AM
Quote from: Naomi's cheekbones on December 06, 2021, 07:43:20 AM

so, because the dude that died is gay
That means he's weak and only can "Vogue" and not defend himself?
I was being sarcasitic
:rudone:

RAY7

"Madden, a security level 5 inmate, was transferred to Alger on July 18, 2017, from the Marquette Correctional Facility because of overcrowding"

I knew it. These prisons are terribly overcrowded they probably didn't have anywhere else to put them anyway, and this deranged ass dude would've probably killed whoever his next cellmate was too

Dr Naomi Campbell

He wasn't deranged, he wasn't suffering from mental health issue's
he was homophobic and violent, sdsad let's not give him that :dead:

shante smith

Quote from: Naomi's cheekbones on December 06, 2021, 07:41:10 AM
QuoteThe defendants are Warden Catherine S. Bauman, Deputy Warden Robert Wickstrom, prison Administrator Dean Potilla and 18 other staff members.

Inmates and corrections officer knew not only that Burks was homosexual, but that Madden was "homophobic," states the lawsuit filed by the Geoffrey Fieger law firm on behalf of Burks' mother, Dequita Burks. She is the personal representative of Rodriguez Burks' estate.

The lawsuit alleges that both men asked to be separated, and that Madden repeatedly told a corrections officer that if he wasn't moved, "'I'm gonna hurt this guy.'"

"However, each of the Defendants named herein ignored the threats and simply left Madden and the decedent Rodriguez Burks, in the same cell knowing that harm would result" to Burks, the lawsuit states.

Burks was found dead in his cell on July 20, 2017, lying face down and suffering from a traumatic head injury, the lawsuit states. Burks' death came two days after Madden was placed in the cell with him.

The prison failed to have policies in place to identify and protect inmates, especially homosexuals and African Americans, from harm, the lawsuit alleges.

Burks had been sentenced to prison in December 2016 for fleeing and eluding police and receiving stolen property, and was classified as level 4 security, according to the lawsuit.

Madden, a security level 5 inmate, was transferred to Alger on July 18, 2017, from the Marquette Correctional Facility because of overcrowding, according to the lawsuit. Madden is serving a sentence for carjacking, assault with intent to murder and armed robbery.

Like c'mon
It's clear cut :dead:
this makes sense.

The gay guy was asking for separation too. I believe it.

Quote from: Lady of Lithuania on December 06, 2021, 03:58:58 AM
If I were the gay guy in that cell and I knew this crazily anxious homophobic man was tryna get away from me ... I woulda been banging on doors and writing letters  tryna get him out and away from me too

Like how can I help him in this mission. Let's get you tf outta here before you lose it.