Nelly Sells 50 Percent of His Music Catalog for $50 Million

Started by Lazarus, July 05, 2023, 04:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formation

Quote from: The definition on July 06, 2023, 04:27:36 AMA number of artists are selling their catalogs, like justin Bieber sold his for $200 million, MJ's estate wants to sell half of MJ's catalog for $900 million.... Seems like the forecast for these catalogs is that they won't earn so much in the future, but then again why are these companies investing in these catalogs if their future returns look bleak, that's the question
i wouldn't say future returns look "bleak" cuz it that were the case no one would touch the catalogs at all

The artist is most likely just able to find a company that wouldn't mind having their catalog in their back pocket

Nelly has songs that I'd say have a lot of potential to be licensed for ads/marketing etc and other creative ways I'm sure a company could find use for it

Ultimately I'd say it's about selling the catalog while you can still make a very cute coin - selling at 50 million in 2023 instead of waiting until 2040 when its still sellable - but the value may have dropped to 35 million

I'm super confident there's a lot of strategy behind these decisions - on both sides
Grandma, grandpa, and their grandmas ❤️

FAMÈ

Quote from: ivorian oph on July 05, 2023, 05:14:55 PM
Quote from: Nine on July 05, 2023, 04:47:28 PM
Quote from: ivorian oph on July 05, 2023, 04:15:59 PMonly if he sold the throw away mess

dilemma, hot in here, grillz, flap your wings, ride wit me, and country grammar better be PERCHED in his possession mess
Quotewhich is forking over the dough to lock up some of his best-known songs ... such as, "Ride Wit Me," "Dilemma" and of course, "Hot in Herre." Obviously they're getting more than just that ... but those tracks are, by and large, the ones Nelly's perhaps best-known for.

Doesn't look like it

this DUMB mf.

i don't understand why these artists aren't studying the model of companies that do this and implementing that model for their own music to generate that residual income for THEMSELVES

these companies ain't paying 50 mill for the mess if they aren't confident that they're going to get a NICE return on their investment. idk maybe i'm missing sumn
n

formation

There could be a multitude of reasons for him selling honestly

One very possible reason being he needed the more immediate cash

U never know. Yeah these celebs have made good money but with that money and status comes a certain lifestyle they have now become accustomed to

One that may be a bit more difficult to maintain once their star starts to dim a bit

Especially hip hop artists where it's all about the diamond chains and fast cars.

I just went to his Insta and he's def still rockin those diamond chains and smilin to show off his diamond grills  . Vvvvv so he's still tryna live that life and/or push that image.

Selling may have been the smartest thing for him to do at this time . I'm sure he had good reason

And I def hope he puts the money to good use . Save and / or wisely invest it. Not spending 20 million of it on some rare exotic car . Bvvvvvv

That's whats most important at this point IMO. I'm sure he'll do the right thing

formation

i just did a little research and it appears my guess about him needing the immediate cash could be very likely

he was hit with a lien from the IRS in 2016 for a couple million

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2016/09/12/irs-slaps-nelly-with-2-4m-tax-lien/?sh=62f637467851

he also purchased a mansion and paid 2.5 million for it in 2002, but it only sold for 600K in 2021
a huge loss for him.

https://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/nelly-run-down-missouri-mansion-sells/ 

it looks like he hasn't been making the best decisions or had a lot of good financial guidance in the past . i really hope he is super careful with this 50 million. if this is a lifeline he's cashing in on it may be one of the last available to him.

at least he did right by making sure he owned his music.

ophababes.

Quote from: ᴴᴼᵀᴾᴵᴺᴷ on July 06, 2023, 08:15:51 AM
Quote from: ivorian oph on July 05, 2023, 05:14:55 PM
Quote from: Nine on July 05, 2023, 04:47:28 PM
Quote from: ivorian oph on July 05, 2023, 04:15:59 PMonly if he sold the throw away mess

dilemma, hot in here, grillz, flap your wings, ride wit me, and country grammar better be PERCHED in his possession mess
Quotewhich is forking over the dough to lock up some of his best-known songs ... such as, "Ride Wit Me," "Dilemma" and of course, "Hot in Herre." Obviously they're getting more than just that ... but those tracks are, by and large, the ones Nelly's perhaps best-known for.

Doesn't look like it

this DUMB mf.

i don't understand why these artists aren't studying the model of companies that do this and implementing that model for their own music to generate that residual income for THEMSELVES

these companies ain't paying 50 mill for the mess if they aren't confident that they're going to get a NICE return on their investment. idk maybe i'm missing sumn
n

fuck off

:disgusted: