Official Superbowl Thread -Gaga, Beyonce.Bruno PERFORMANCE 1st page

Started by GLOCK, February 07, 2016, 06:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAPHOMET.

NYTIMES - Coldplay Buoyed by Beyonce

QuoteEverything that could be said about the choice of Coldplay to headline the halftime show at Super Bowl 50 was said by the band members themselves Sunday evening ? not with their mouths, but with their outfits.

The members of Coldplay? They wore gray, slate blue, musky brown, dusty black. Visually, it made them the literal void at the center of a riot of exuberance. And such was the case musically, as well; Coldplay was the center of the show but functioned more as a stagehand than an actual performer, making sure things were properly aligned so that the night?s true event could go off without a hitch.

That, of course, was Beyonc?, who returned to the halftime show three years after headlining it to provide a much-needed assist to Chris Martin?s band. On Saturday, she released a new song and video, ?Formation,? which took up most of her part of Sunday?s performance.

That?s notable for a few reasons: Only Beyonc? could use the Super Bowl, perhaps the largest stage in the country, to showcase new material. She also announced a new world tour right on the heels of the performance. In so doing, she was arguing, in essence, that the halftime show was there to serve her, not the other way around.

And maybe only Beyonc? is capable of walking the cultural tightrope of delivering a song with such potent declarations of black pride on a stage that prefers studied neutrality or, at the loudest, pure jingoism. She wore an outfit ? black leather draped in gold ? that recalled Michael Jackson militaria. She did a few Vine-friendly dances ? the milly rock, a sort of halfhearted whip. She sang, ?I like my baby hair with baby hair and Afro/I like my Negro nose with Jackson 5 nostrils.?

Together, Beyonc? and Mr. Mars brought screaming jolts of soul and funk and jubilation onto a stage that until that point had lacked all of those things.

Eventually he shifted into ?Up & Up,? a dopey song about reconciliation and uplift, and was joined by Beyonc? and Mr. Mars. They seemed to be stabilizing him. It wasn?t the first time. Earlier, during a transition, all three of them were singing a bit of ?Uptown Funk? together. Beyonc? laid her left hand on Mr. Martin?s right shoulder as she and Mr. Mars outsang him ? an act of love, of pity, of grace.

The Guardian - Beyonc? easily steals the show at Superbowl

QuoteUntil Beyonc??s arrival, the Super Bowl half-time performance had been perfectly enjoyable but lacking the electric thrill ? not to mention opportunity for gifs - she provided. Inspired by the Glastonbury festival, it saw Coldplay perform three of their biggest hits ? Viva La Vida, Paradise and recent single Adventure of a Lifetime ? on a flower-shaped stage, their instruments garlanded with flowers and the band?s name written in Hindi on the drum kit. They were accompanied by the LA Youth Orchestra, conducted by Gustavo Dudamel, and spent most of the first part of the show surrounded by selfie-snapping teenagers. It was fun but somehow lightweight, while their nods to Glastonbury ? for instance, dancers dressed as giant flowers twirling around the field ? had some of the festival?s hippy spirit but none of its demented euphoria.

Perhaps recognising that even 12 minutes of this would have risked losing the audience, Coldplay?s warm and fuzzy stadium rock was abruptly pushed aside by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars performing Uptown Funk ? definitely a party anthem, but one so overplayed that its impact was blunted. It took Beyonc??s performance of Formation ? on paper a risk, since it?s so recent, but in practice enthralling ? to inject some drama. As my colleague Lanre Bakare pointed out on our live blog, the lyrics ?My daddy Alabama, momma Louisiana/You mix that negro with that Creole make a Texas bamma/I like my baby hair, with baby hair and afros/I like my negro nose with Jackson Five nostrils? must be some of the most political ever to be performed at a half-time show.

:stressed:

throwintheTAL

MAY

RekeRig

That "Home of the" was gorgeous omg sing gaga. most of us knew she'd keep it classy :dead: she's been tame forever now

Who was it that said she'd be dumb enough to make a mockery of the song? n

BAPHOMET.

My God... Sir John....

He's kinda her main makeup artist now. Hymn video, Formation video, Superbowl.

All excellent. Want him in my mouth tbh

:youready:

Herb.

Quote from: Baphomet. on February 08, 2016, 12:00:21 AM

My God... Sir John....

i want a breathmint in ur mouth

RekeRig

BAPHOMET.

Quote from: Herbie on February 08, 2016, 12:01:14 AM

My God... Sir John....

i want a breath mint in ur mouth

I want my foot in your ass

RekeRig

Quote from: Vonc2002 on February 07, 2016, 08:44:30 PM
Bey n fckn BRUNO! Im sorry but they showed comatose the fck UP! Why would u let them be a part of ur shit. The show didnt START until Bruno, and him and Bey together was like MAGIC, SHIT!
thag dance off was so good

Herb.

Quote from: Baphomet. on February 08, 2016, 12:03:23 AM
Quote from: Herbie on February 08, 2016, 12:01:14 AM

My God... Sir John....

i want a breath mint in ur mouth

I want my foot in your ass
faggot ill have u killed. :usureuok:

CHOKE

Yeah I hon feel a lil bad for Cold Play they gave opening act teas.

zeytoven

ok so Gaga had most headlines and trends. All I need to know!