Not all Africans were slaves. Sorry to disappoint ya!

Started by Herb., April 15, 2016, 11:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herb.

Quote from: Rajesha on April 16, 2016, 05:59:18 AM
I can really understand Afro because as African Americans they are just so detached from their history, so I can understand that he would go looking for it and embrace it so strongly, however, I don't see why it is soooo very important for him to claim Lemba, Melungeon, Native etc ever so prominently, when those cultures didn't really impact him growing up. I feel like it is cute to know where your grand-grandparents hail from but at the end of the day that should not define you.

Keep doing your research, Herb and do what makes you happy, but whatever you find I don't think it changes who you are, it is just a cute fun fact IMO, to quench your curiosity. Not a new identity to take on.
I'm honestly just very excited right now finding everything out. Give me a couple months or so.  :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: It's such a rich and beautiful history in my own family. Why wouldn't I want to claim that. This is the reason why people do ancestry tests, it's more than a "fun fact". It's finding out what blood runs through your veins. It creates a great sense of pride and self awareness. And even provides clarity and direction.

Everyone shakes and shivers when they open their results. These aren't just "fun facts" to many of us. Especially African Americans. My grandmother's family slays, I'm sorry.  :plzstop: :plzstop: And she's the woman who raised me so I feel comfortable saying it, who's booking?! :cheerup:

Herb.

April 16, 2016, 06:15:00 AM #46 Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:15:48 AM by Herbie
However I do see what you mean. But there is a such thing as reclaiming identity. And if it's your truth, you reserve the right to do so or not.

SouravMay

I appreciate that. And you should be allowed to celebrate your findings. But personally I think it takes much more than blood to truly be apart of a culture or ethnic group. Yes, I am 50% Palestinian, and also am I of 50% Igbo descent, but do I really know the true experience and struggle that comes with being Palestinian or Igbo Nigerian, have I internalized life as a Palestinian, being perceived as such... It would be convenient to steadily claim it for exotifying purposes, but really I am kid from Munich Germany with parts of that culture influencing me. Even me, who I have frequently visited my parental home nations and also speak the languages to a degree and have direct relatives from there whom I communicate with on a weekly basis, feel like I'd have to do so much more research to warrant for me to shout it from the rooftop... Also to know if that is an identity I'd truly like to take on.

But agains you said you are just so excited and thrilled for now, so enjoy that, I just believe switching/taking on national/ethnic identity is not that easily and conveniently done and also not that relevant for who you are as a person anyway, unless people perceive you that way or you truly grew up within that culture, it is indeed just a pleasant fun fact to have and also a trigger to start doing more research and becoming a more knowledgable and well-versed person.
B7

Herb.

April 16, 2016, 06:36:52 AM #48 Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:44:59 AM by Herbie
That's a strong opinion to state that anyone would claim heritage to simply "exotify" themselves. Personally I'm more interested and heavily invested in the history and strength behind the stories.

I'd already figured that I was Creole/Melungeon descent.

People have thought that I looked Haitian. Or Caribbean, etc. Melungeons origins are in Saint Domingue which is now Haiti/Dominican Republic. Two people who swore I was Haitian are right on this board. So my Caribbean roots are very much readable. :cheerup:

Check this thread I made in December, before I confirmed it this weekend, it includes the clues I collected.
When I saw "Haiti" in the Free People of Color's history, alarm bells rang off because I kept hearing it.
http://brandy.4fans.net/index.php?topic=8946.msg247372;topicseen#msg247372

Taron:
Quoteyour features remind me of this Hatian girl from NYC that I went to school with. She had the prettiest chocolatey skin with this LONG beautiful wavy hair and her brother was so sexy

Monk:
QuoteI rlly thought Afro was Haitian
idk why

had some Haitian coworkers in NYC
and they all have this similar look

u look distinctly Haitian

But like you said, doing research is important before you claim it.
I made that thread in DECEMBER. At that point it was collecting clues and a lot of speculation. And am now claiming it because I know its true and what people are seeing is real and accurate. Through DNA and documentation.

So I really didn't need a label to be "exotifying". If you have "exotifying" roots sometimes people will notice it without you saying a word. In fact its the opposite, its comments like the ones above, people telling me I look something that I know NOTHING of, that sent me looking for answers to begin with.

So yeah.

SouravMay

I really do not want to be combative, but there are some things I do want to point out to you.

First of all YOUR genetical make-up in its totality perfectly fits the bill of the ethnic group "African American", it is a very typical result for "African American", your personal DNA is not that of "Melungeon" people, nor is your experience growing up that.

So it would be really weird if someone could actually see Melungeon in you when you don't have the proper admixture of racial ingredients. Anybody that thinks I look Nigerian, I don't take him seriously, because I simply do not. My genetic admixture is absolutely atypical for a "Nigerian". Every ethnic look essentially is made up of a certain melange of ingredients. And you yourself do not have the proper proportions of ingredients to be Melungeon. From what I read, Melungeons could actually pass as white or native, which you could not. 

And looking Haitian does NOT equal looking Melungeon. The typical Haitian look is 85-95% black, Haiti is known to be the only true black nation of the Caribbean, because they killed off almost all the whities over there. So when somebody says you look Haitian, they probably think you look very very Subsaharan African and not "tri-racial", what Melungeons essentially are, who I am sure form a little minority in Haiti, and people do not think of when thinking of Haitians.

So you might have Melungeon in your family but neither genetically nor culturally, do you fit the bill. Matter of fact you perfectly make up the unique and intricate admixture of "African American", splashes of white, native, Creole/Melungeon, and a whole bunch of West African. And that is also your culture, African American. Now if you really want to travel to these places where Melungeons today reside, talk to them, learn the habits, culture, proverbs, cuisine, and then figure out if this is really who you are, I believe, THEN you can talk about claiming stuff.

For right now it should be a little sidenote, not a the main headline. If we are being pedantic and consqeuent.   
B7

Herb.

April 16, 2016, 07:04:52 AM #50 Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:10:14 AM by Herbie
Many people don't know what a Melungeon is. And think Creoles are white.

So I wouldn't expect them to say, "are you Melungeon?"
And Melungeons come in all shades and colors.

The bottom line is that the heritage I am claiming has roots that are distinguishable to people in my appearance.
People can see my roots that I have confirmed. Bottom line. I just know how to properly label it. Haitian is a nationality. Melungeon refers to the Caribbean ancestors who traveled to the states and set up shop in Virginia and North Carolina.

That is the CORRECT way to claim it. But people can simply see where my roots lie.

Didn't need the label to "exotify" my roots. The man in my avatar looks Caribbean as well. He's a Dumas. :wellheythere:

Young

Lemme read what's going on here...these paragraphs

n

Young

SddDdddddddd

This thread has me in tears

Why do we do this mess

SouravMay

Afro sis when somebody says you look "Haitian", it means you look BLACK, like really black, extraordinarily black, because Haitians have more African usually than African Americans in their DNA. It DOES not insinuate you look tri-racial to them...

Melungeons are not blacks from the Caribbean, Melungeons are defined by their racial ambiguity with a more or less even distribution of Native, African and European ancestry.

And why would they see Melungeon in you, when really you do not have the proper genetic make up, that just makes no sense.

:plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop:
B7

AIDS!

Bhhh I met a Haitian once
I assumed she was Nigerian till she opened her mouth :dead:

SouravMay

B7

Young

This whole convo is mess IMO

Sddddddddd

Because this really shouldn't matter and it's truly all subjective tbh

But I see both sides and I kinda agree with both.

When I see Afro of course I know he's black. He has strong features and dark skin.
But his hair texture does allude to the thought that he has ancestry that may be of another race down the line.

However I also agree with Malcolm. When I think of Haitian I think of someone who looks like Ibis or Busta Rhymes. Very Dark and African looking but a splash of some native or ancestry that peaks through subtly.

But tbh I actually consider them more "Black looking" than the average African American where their phenotype is more of a melting pot of a plethora of races splashed in.
They can have a wider range of looks vice Haitians IMO.
When I think Haitian I think of more of an exclusive look (dark skin with a PEEK of native mixed in somewhere deep in their DNA)

So I say all that to say that I agree with both. Sddddd

I see the Haitian thing people could allude to that Af' was talking About.
But I agree with Malc that when people think Haitians it's a look thats more African or "Black" than Melungeon or Creole. Melungeon and creole give me more of a bi racial tea

Herb.

April 16, 2016, 07:38:58 AM #58 Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:40:06 AM by Herbie
Quote from: Rajesha on April 16, 2016, 07:13:29 AM
Afro sis when somebody says you look "Haitian", it means you look BLACK, like really black, extraordinarily black, because Haitians have more African usually than African Americans in their DNA. It DOES not insinuate you look tri-racial to them...

Melungeons are not blacks from the Caribbean, Melungeons are defined by their racial ambiguity with a more or less even distribution of Native, African and European ancestry.

And why would they see Melungeon in you, when really you do not have the proper genetic make up, that just makes no sense.

:plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop:
I never said they said I look tri-racial. :uhh: I specifically said they said Haitian. :dead:  :uhh:

I simply said the roots of the Dumas family originates in Saint Domingue. And people can see my Carribbean ancestral heritage.

Thomas Alexander Dumas looked Black/Haitian to me sssssss this is the family I descend from that came from Saint Domingue.

But I think I get what you mean. I just did a google search of Black Melungeons and only like two popped up :diddraispoot:

Young

Omffff at you having the same hair as the guy you just posted

I'm really gonna dig the fuck into my mess because u kn wh