Do you think people with mental illnesses ever recover?

Started by zeytoven, April 20, 2016, 11:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAPHOMET.

Jon

King82

Absolutely. I think people who don't experience or aren't familiar mental illness are quick to give a "no" because they have a misunderstood view on what mental illness is.   

Some conditions are more severe than others. But a mild condition can be overcome. Generalized Anxiety, Manic Depression these are considered mental illnesses and can be cured with a healthy lifestyle and cognitive therapy.

BAPHOMET.

King82

RatherBe

I think as long as you don't let the mental illness over take you and let it live your life for you... You can push through.

Azerbaijan

Yes and no.

Less severe mental illnesses like, say, anxiety can be alleviated through plain old EXPOSURE to what it is one is afraid of, & the symptoms of depression can be alleviated through physical exercise, meditation, various natural tools (CBT, for example).

So yes, there is the opportunity to recover.

More severe mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, psychosis... I don't think it is possible to be totally cured of these genuine brain abnormalities. These are primarily treated with medication, whereas not everyone with anxiety or depression need to utilize medication.

The scariest part of it all is analyzing the system we're currently in, where the mentally ill do not have effective care & access to sustainable treatment. Meanwhile, doctors are prescribing opioid medications to pain & post-surgery patients which are easily addictive, which is causing this current addiction crisis.

If these opiate medications are changing the wiring of the brain, & addiction is a disease (physical and/or mental illness), isn't this all just exacerbating the core issue at hand?

Anyway, I'm starting to meander, but it's worth thinking about. The effects of drugs themselves on mental illness are quite interesting, considering each drug affects each one of us differently.

In fact, if you have the genetic component for something like schizophrenia, the use of marijuana can actually exacerbate its dormancy.  :plzstop:

It's a lot to think about. Makes me want to pick up a crack pipe just thinking about it.  :plzstop:

King steevy

are u talking about U?
because i think you doing kinda okay. are u still on meds?

zeytoven

Quote from: King steevy on April 21, 2016, 02:35:12 AM
are u talking about U?
because i think you doing kinda okay. are u still on meds?

Yeah my doctor switched me to Risperdal now

Myron

Quote from: zeytoven on April 21, 2016, 01:34:45 AM
Quote from: Young on April 21, 2016, 12:56:35 AM
Anything is possible through God

!!!! Which is why I'm starting to attend church again. I can not give up hope

!! Amen
I need to start going back

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Zankou.

Zankou.

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

BrokenHeartsHeal

Ya'll serious about this god stuff?

and bsource aint the best place for you to be with a mental illness. thats like azealia on twitter.