What determines if you like a song or not?

Started by Kurama, May 25, 2016, 04:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott.

Quote from: Kurama on May 25, 2016, 04:08:32 PM
I typically go up for how the song ends and how it begins. The atmosphere it creates. The things I can feel/imagine while listening. I think that comes from the melody and flow more than anything.

Vocals and lyrics usually come last.

MelMel

So it's a combination of beat/production,  lyrics,  and if the song creates a feeling in me. Whether it's a slut to feeling or emotional feeling....

Vonc2002

Quote from: haitian creole. on May 25, 2016, 04:28:08 PM
Quote from: Vonc2002 on May 25, 2016, 04:26:29 PM
Im thinking and it really is everything for me. I have heard songs where I like the beat but the voice is terrible, liked the voice but the lyrics are dumb, or I simply cant get beyond the music. Ive written songs off for all of them. This is kinda my problem with Brandy's Afrodisiac. Of course Brandy SINGS, but between those corny ass lyrics and that production, I just think it's a terrible song. Im very voice heavy tho so when she performed it live I actually was able to get in a lil more
Rihanna falls under the heavy vocal dept? Love sis to death but watch your mouth when it comes to ANYTHING involving GODfro.
well I like Rihanna's voice and its all about my preference so, yea. Afrodisiac is a TERRIBLE song but u dont have to share that opinion lolz
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

FINE.

The voice can't be too bad no shade.

For example:

BANKS

Cute production but I can't take her warbled vocal for a whole song

Vonc2002

Quote from: FINE. on May 25, 2016, 04:31:47 PM

For example:

BANKS

I really liked her music from what I heard. Funny enough I just went looking for her album the other day. I never got "warbled voice" but I have not fully got into all her work tho
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Kurama

Quote from: MΛΥDΛΥ on May 25, 2016, 04:25:31 PM
For me it's a combination of beat and vocals.

I'm an atmosphere gorl as well. I love music that really captures a mood and makes me feel it, even if I can't understand a word they are singing.

For example...

I love this song, but I have no idea what they are saying.
However, I can still feel the song and interpret it the way I want.

I love music that stimulates me, no matter how basic or complex it may be.

>>><<<

This is why I use so many of ur selections

Kurama

For example:

BANKS

I really wanted her to do something. That album was ter' tho.

Kurama

For you lyrical or mood folks, do you listen to music because it helps you feel something that you haven't expressed or become aware of?

charlie.

May 25, 2016, 04:38:39 PM #24 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:39:03 PM by 𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕣𝕝𝕚𝕖.
I think for me it's the melody of the vocals and the beat.

And then the lyrics....
OVERALL, the beginning (of the beat/vocals) has to catch me and then the vocal arrangement and melody should keep me interested.

If not, I'll turn it off and try to relisten later (if it's someone worth retrying. ddd or unless I'm listening to an album)

FINE.

Quote from: Kurama on May 25, 2016, 04:37:32 PM

For example:

BANKS

I really wanted her to do something. That album was ter' tho.
!!!!!

MAY

His music is the epitome of "atmosphere". He has quickly become of of my faves.

I posted about him before, but you fags paid it. :dead:

FINE.

Quote from: Kurama on May 25, 2016, 04:38:23 PM
For you lyrical or mood folks, do you listen to music because it helps you feel something that you haven't expressed or become aware of?
that and nostalgia

yummy

It depends on the genre.

If it's something outside of R&B/pop, I can ignore something like shrill vocals or sparse production.

Buy The Stars✨

the beat first.. before i can even get into the lyrics i need to be invited in by some nice instruments or a beat.. then ill listen to the words too