Previous topic - Next topic

RAY7

Quote from: Rig's on September 14, 2016, 02:41:12 PM
Loved his vocals on Tell me

That was the standout for me, cuz ch
You like Need U?
That has dope harmonies & vocals

RAY7

September 14, 2016, 05:54:53 PM #31 Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:55:28 PM by AYR
Rolling Stone gave 4/5 stars!

"I fucked up. I'm man enough to admit it." So begins Hard II Love, the eighth album by Usher. The R&B superstar has minted platinum by laying out his sins in the past – his 2004 album Confessions was one of the record business's last releases to pass the 10-million-shifted mark. More recently, though, his output has been defined by a willingness to seek out musical inspiration from cutting-edge artists and more obscure sonic impulses: 2012's critic-beloved "Climax" placed his falsetto against a skeletal drum machine; 2014's "Good Kisser" allowed him to get frisky over a barely there funk tableau. That adventurousness defines Hard II Love, which manages to stretch the boundaries of R&B while winding toward the brooding atmospherics that have enveloped much of pop over the past 12 months.
According to a Q&A Usher did before the album arrived on Tidal Monday night, Hard II Love is made for "men who don't think love is cool to do." It's a dense, lengthy album with dense layers and unexpected twists, with lyrics that are so plainspoken that at times they seem tossed-off (surely someone on his team could have intervened before he rhymed "phone calls" with "phones off" on the whirling "Make U a Believer"). The album's persistent darkness, in keeping with current radio trends, overtakes even uptempo tracks like the Pharrell-produced tease "FWM." But Usher – like any soul star worth his collection of Al Green albums – also knows that low-lit rooms are where a lot of the best action happens. "Let Me" spins off a stretched-out sample from Ready for the World's 1985 slow jam "Love You Down," and updates the idea of the uxorious tribute with spinning drum fills and Usher taking pride in his mate's ability to command equal pay (!). "Tell Me" is the album's sprawling, sensual centerpiece, an eight-minute-plus odyssey where Usher splits the difference between the sparseness of "Climax" and the slow-jam splendor of Confessions?-era offerings like "Burn," with his falsetto guiding the romp.
RELATED

Watch Usher's Gritty Cover of the Chainsmokers' 'Don't Let Me Down'
Singer, backing band deliver raw take on slick pop hit, sneak in famous Outkast horn loop
Hard II Love also has a decidedly Atlanta-centric bent; the spaced-out come-on "No Limit" features a fanciful verse from Young Thug, while the cavernous love song "Bump," which was produced by The-Dream and Tricky Stewart, balances itself on a sample of crunk grandmaster Lil Jon barking out his signature "what." The enigmatic MC Future, meanwhile, duets with Usher on "Rivals," a muscular, downtempo track in which Usher tries to iron out differences with a resistant woman.
The album's two closing tracks represent an epilogue of sorts – their cinematic production values and triumph-tinged lyrics show that there are other things in life besides the battle of the sexes, and that even insurmountable tangles with the self can be won. "Stronger," in which Usher deals with the grief that hit him after the 2012 death of his stepson Kile Glover, uses cloud-borne piano riffs and a gospel choir to brightly underline its message of resilience. The R?ben Blades–assisted "Champions," which doubles as the theme to the Roberto Duran biopic Hands of Stone, feels like a 21st-century update of Babyface's "Change the World"; Usher and Blades trade off victory-minded platitudes in English and Spanish over gently strummed guitars, and the song's message – that America and other countries can thrive simultaneously, even building off each others' success – comes off more political in 2016 than it probably could have been foreseen, particularly for a closing-credits offering.
Usher says that it took about three years to release Hard II Love, and in that time the sound of pop music has changed dramatically. He’s paid just enough attention to pop’s new ideas to come out with an album that looks forward while remaining true to what's made him one of R&B's most reliable stars.

:blessed:

Young

RAY7

?Hard II Love? Is Usher?s Best Album Since Confessions! (REVIEW)

QuoteUsher?s ?Hard II Love? is his best album since Confessions. Now, let?s get one thing straight? that doesn?t mean it has a similar sound. Artistry is about growth. Usher?s never gonna make another ?Confessions.? Trey Songz will never make another ?Ready.? Lauryn Hill will never make another ?The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.? We have to accept the fact that projects like the one?s I just mentioned are pieces of art that will go down in music history. This is the first album that Ursh has put out in a while that I can jam the entire way through. If you have Tidal, you can check it out now. It?ll be available on iTunes this Friday, September 16, 2016! -Amir Diamond (@TheAmirDiamond)

Lazarus

RAY7

Usher Returns To His R&B Roots On The Impressive ?Hard II Love?

QuoteMy cheeks are illuminated with a rosy glow. A deep sigh brushes past my teeth and my chest compresses. That?s how Usher?s new album makes me feel.

From the moment I heard ?No Limit? at the 2016 BET Awards, where he first performed the Young Thug-assisted anthem, I knew Usher had returned to his R&B roots. Produced by B.A.M and Rock City, ?No Limit? is exactly what we?ve been craving from the ATL superstar.

Usher strays from the electronic dance music that plagued the last few years of his career on the long-awaited Hard II Love. It?s like he sat in the booth and said, ?Gather ?round children of the game, here?s how you make good music.? And with their noses pointed to the sky, sitting Indian style, they listened intently. He is to this R&B generation what Kobe Bryant represents to the NBA (sans retirement). After all, this is the man who blessed us with Confessions, My Way and 8701.

Hard II Love marks the other side of a difficult transition for Usher. His prior three releases, Here I Stand, Raymond v Raymond, and Looking 4 Myself, were recorded after his failed marriage to Tameka Raymond. These albums lacked the cohesiveness of Confessions and ballads like ?U Got It Bad? on 8701. He seemed stuck in the mud, stifled somewhere between heartbreak and recovery.

Radio-friendly singles ?New Flame? and ?Climax? proved, if nothing else, the ?Nice & Slow? crooner could stay afloat the wave and release a timely sounding hit. But that formula doesn?t always equal success, as fans expect their favorite artists to evolve with and/or create the trends.

But Usher is in a new place, remarried to Grace Miguel, and at the blissful height of the honeymoon phase. He?s found his sweet spot on this project, which infuses a harmonious blend of new school vibes, sexy ballads and his signature falsetto.

During a live-listening session in L.A., Usher revealed he ?went through an entire transformation as a man? while recording Hard II Love. The three-year long process was a labor of love.

He taps producers The-Dream, Metro Boomin, Brandon ?B.A.M.? Hodge, and songwriter Bibi Bourelly to lace Hard II Love with headboard banging beats and lyrics that will serenade your soul.

The opening track ?Need U,? grabs your attention from the beginning. ?I f*cked up,? he sings. ?Don?t give em my love, you ain?t even like that/ What type of point you tryna? prove/ You hate to admit it, but you still take me back/ All that shit you was talkin? it don?t hold no wait.?

Hard II Love weaves intricate ?90s samples into songs like ?Bump,? which boldly uses the Uncle Luke?s ?I Wanna Rock? famous intro. INOJ?s ?Let Me Love You Down? provides a smooth melody on ?Let Me.?

?Tell Me? is the standout among the 15 tracks. ?This song is gonna get a lot of people pregnant,? Usher proclaimed. ?Tell Me? feels like sex in the jungle, under the night sky encapsulated in a jar with fire flies. His voice soars on the Geniuz League production.

?Stronger? chronicles Usher?s pain after the loss of his stepson Kile Glover. ?Been through hell, now I?m helpful/Pouring cups of whiskey to get through it/Oh sweet child of mine, gone way too soon
Lost myself and lost my faith too,? he sings on the uplifting track.

Hard II Love ends on a triumphant note with ?Champions,? featured in the ?Hands Of Stone? film starring Usher.

RAY7

The way these GLOWING reviews are going against the haters in here has me coughing
:blessed:

Young