Guys do you think "Black" is an appropriate genre term?

Started by SouravMay, October 08, 2016, 08:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouravMay

I'm having this massive debate with a German resale company that carries R&B and hip hop music in a section called "Black Music"...

In that aisle you will find anything from Jason DeR?lo, to Jennifer Lopez, Kendrick Lamar and Grace Jones.

Am I being petty in asking them to change the label or is it inappropriate?

B7

FlowerBomb

Right then there should be a 'white music' section as well
Germany is late for that, that would never fly in any other country

SouravMay

The debate on the company's FB Page is HEATED. People really hold on to that title. We have successful compilation CD's too, called "Black Hits" or "Best of Black" ...

Some blacks bring the argument that it gives acknowledgment since it is indeed black music. But then why don't they put Rock, Jazz and Reggae in that mess too?
B7

Kaeli.

Very lazy

German is the only country that still does it right?

FlowerBomb

Quote from: black. on October 08, 2016, 08:35:01 AM
Quote from: COCO on October 08, 2016, 08:33:04 AM
Right then there should be a 'white music' section as well
Germany is late for that, that would never fly in any other country
Isn't Germany racist as hell towards anyone non-white anyway? :plzstop: :plzstop:

I've seen some documentaries that had me appalled. They are very unapologetic about it.
!!!!
And it's weird because it's one of those countries African immigrants tend go to the most
Before my father settled in Britian in the 90s he lived in Germany for a decade and said never again :uhh:

SouravMay

Quote from: Kaeli. on October 08, 2016, 08:36:14 AM
Very lazy

German is the only country that still does it right?

Yeah it's a specific German term. Our R&B/Hip-Hop chart was called "Black Charts" until 2 years ago... now it's called "Urban Charts"

People say Black Music encompasses styles and genres that 'R&B and hip hop' couldn't express. And "Urban" just never really caught on.

I kinda still want them to change it tho.
B7

FlowerBomb

Quote from: black. on October 08, 2016, 08:39:04 AM
"hey, why is Kelly Clarkson right next to Taylor? they're two totally different genres!!! :fuming: "

nbbr
D
D
D
D
D
D

SouravMay

They are telling me I'm too sensitive and there are bigger issues in the world...
B7

FlowerBomb

Quote from: Magnolia Maymuru on October 08, 2016, 08:41:29 AM
They are telling me I'm too sensitive and there are bigger issues in the world...
djjd
Typical non black response to racial issues

SouravMay

One whitie said I wasn't proud to be black as the music in the section is good music and I should be honored. I mean low key he has a point but all the high brow "objectively" more high quality music is not listed under Black, just the contemporary clubbing music and street rap.
B7

RAY7

Quote from: Magnolia Maymuru on October 08, 2016, 08:41:29 AM
and they are right
but it is an inappropriate term, you just love mess though so

SouravMay

Germany is not that racist, but they are not that sensitive towards blacks either.
B7

SouravMay

Quote from: black. on October 08, 2016, 08:49:58 AM
Quote from: Magnolia Maymuru on October 08, 2016, 08:43:55 AM
One whitie said I wasn't proud to be black as the music in the section is good music and I should be honored. I mean low key he has a point but all the high brow "objectively" more high quality music is not listed under Black, just the contemporary clubbing music and street rap.
There's no sense in arguing with the store people anyway.
If you want real attention to your concern write a letter to corporate.
Your issue is way above their pay grade and responsibilities.

Which is probably a big reason they're telling you to shut up.
It's on the company's official FB Page, where somebody told me that. The company's social media even chimed in. Dozens of ppl are heatedly debating now.

The store guy was actually understanding and said he would consider it.
B7