How do you identify yourself?

Started by hewritez, October 12, 2016, 10:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rxxf

BRANDY

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

hewritez

Quote from: mixed wit african on October 12, 2016, 10:48:05 PM
Quote from: hewritez on October 12, 2016, 10:31:30 PM
If you were to identify yourself using a generic category like race, religion, ethnicity, etc.
What would come to mind most quickly?

In other words, what do you feel the strongest affiliation to?
Most people lean towards race/ethnicity.
Some, religion.
I know alot of gay guys who are all about the queer lifestyle and everything is gay this, gay that.

I don't really know where I belong.
I don't feel very "Indian"
I also don't feel very "gay".
I'm not overly concerned with gay issues.
I think I'm more concerned with race issues if anything.
Sometimes I feel more "black" than anything. i know that's weird considering I'm not black.
but my parents are from east Africa and speak Swahili and feel more of a connection to Kenya and Tanzania than India. I don't know.

I would like to identify as an American but, given the social/political climate of our country, I really don't feel like I can.

Does anyone else get confused?
Just read the entire thing.

This is America, and although labels can be very....non-spiritual, it's important to know that your label in this country generally is based off of what people see with their eyes. Not so much what you feel in your soul.

I think it's totally fine to have your own personal definitions of who you are. If you feel "Black" that's totally cool but just realize if you walked into a room full of Blacks and claimed you were AA, you'd get the side eye. That's just the reality.

There's this non-Black woman at my job who said she loves eating "ghetto chinese food" and loves listening to rap. She claimed she was listening to Master P on her way in to work. Me and the other Black gorls were kii'ing at her cuz she clearly is not Black but is trying so hard to be. :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop:

And it came off as offensive , even. When she used the word "ghetto". I know she meant no harm but it just shows how clueless she is when it comes to our culture.  It's "Chinese food from the hood". Everyone knows the best chinese food is in the hood. we don't call it "ghetto chinese food". sdsddssssdsdsdsdsds dumb bitch.

But I totally get what you're saying, absolutely get it. I know that your connection to Blackness is WAY deeper than "ghetto chinese food". You have connections to Africa, etc. which is amazing. I'd just say have your own personal mess but be aware of social labeling.

No I get what you're saying.
It's like these white girls I knew in school who dated black guys and listened to hip-hop music and felt that they were "black" inside.

But you can never be "black" if you're not black, because being black in America, and sometimes abroad, is a specific political experience that no one else can have.

I can relate to black people on so many things, even on the subject of discrimination, but even I have my limitations. At the end of the day I'm not black, and my parents weren't black in spite of their African heritage. And i would never claim to be in public  :dead: But I do, at times, especially when I'm in a room comprised of only blacks and whites (which was my experience growing up in Illinois), feel more connected to black people than anyone else.

Often times more than Indians  :dead:

Rxxf

I'm responding to the FIRST thing that comes to mind
I can only add on things after the fact
If that makes sense
BRANDY

Eternal Bell

October 12, 2016, 10:57:39 PM #20 Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:57:58 PM by Tinker Hell
triricial cisgender half-playtrans blue wit splash of green eyed young man

im means..if we talmbout jus offa tha top of our heads..

Lane Bryant Jumpsuit

Quote from: hewritez on October 12, 2016, 10:42:29 PM
To me, being gay isn't really a part of who I am.

I think for a lot of white people who don't really have a defining culture, being gay becomes their culture. They flock to it. It's like they've been waiting their whole lives to finally belong to a subculture and now they do. Yippee!

:dead:

I guess I can identify with being a minority.
But even that seems too vague to connect with.
I've been reading "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and it's making me think about all these things.

It's difficult, as the child of immigrants, to really know where you belong.

Whites dont  really have a culture their claim is usually a lack of culture

Lack of rythym
Lack of real identity
Lack of ass
Lack of strength

They do have a theme of oppression tho
And gay only became a big issue to them because whites that were gay began experiencing minority related issues of discrimination and isolation and separation and the law supported it so gay for them became more of a way to say he im white and im being disriminated against something is not right in the world

And some blacks with their dumb desperate asses have fallen for the hype that a white struggle

But nehoo

I identify and a black american male who is bisexual

I wish i was samoan tho

Lewie D Im Caramel Bitches Ion Wanna hear Im Actin
Different

Kurama

Eternal Bell

u are so ignorant

u can b cisgender & trans-curious

Vonc2002

Quote from: R on October 12, 2016, 10:57:33 PM
I'm responding to the FIRST thing that comes to mind
I can only add on things after the fact
If that makes sense
Now just a reminder, who's asian? And are u 50% or like 25% Asian. We've never had this discussion. U can take this time to expound :dead:
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Lane Bryant Jumpsuit

Quote from: Vonc2002 on October 12, 2016, 10:54:17 PM
This is what i was thinking too. Like I guess some people really do wear their sexuality on their sleeves but  who u fck shouldnt be how u identify yourself imo.

On the flip side, i know some people where probably forced to feel ashamed of themselves and now they like to scream it from the rafters. I guess i can see the argument both ways when i think about it

Your sayin alot carl

Lewie D Im Caramel Bitches Ion Wanna hear Im Actin
Different

Eternal Bell

Quote from: TheNextLew on October 12, 2016, 10:57:59 PM

I think for a lot of white people who don't really have a defining culture, being gay becomes their culture. They flock to it. It's like they've been waiting their whole lives to finally belong to a subculture and now they do. Yippee!

:dead:

I guess I can identify with being a minority.
But even that seems too vague to connect with.
I've been reading "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and it's making me think about all these things.

It's difficult, as the child of immigrants, to really know where you belong.

Whites dont  really have a culture their claim is usually a lack of culture

Lack of rythym
Lack of real identity
Lack of ass
Lack of strength

They do have a theme of oppression tho
And gay only became a big issue to them because whites that were gay began experiencing minority related issues of discrimination and isolation and separation and the law supported it so gay for them became more of a way to say he im white and im being disriminated against something is not right in the world

And some blacks with their dumb desperate asses have fallen for the hype that a white struggle

But nehoo

I identify and a black american male who is bisexual

I wish i was samoan tho
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffwe

KING BENTLEY.

This lady on the airplane recently told me I looked Dominican

And the checkout lady at Target said it

Oh and the blind guy on the park bench

I'm Dominican.

H.#.G.*.Z