Whitney refused therapy after Jenifer Lewis suggested it

Started by yummy, November 04, 2017, 10:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yummy

In her memoir The Black Mother of Hollywood ? excerpted exclusively in the current issue of PEOPLE ? black-ish star Jenifer Lewis opens up about a candid moment she had with legendary singer Whitney Houston.

?Whitney and I took to each other like eggs and bacon,? Lewis writes of her The Preacher?s Wife costar.

?Lordy, we laughed, sang and acted a fool together! I loved Whitney, not only for her extraordinary talents but for her warmth and humor. [But] it became more and more clear that she carried heavy burdens,? Lewis continues of Houston, who was found submerged in the bathtub in her suite at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in 2012. (The cause of death was deemed accidental drowning, and an autopsy showed she had various drugs in her system.)

Lewis has battled her own demons ? a sex addiction and bipolar disorder ? and was quick to tout the benefits of seeing a therapist.

?I said to her, ?You know Whitney, I went to therapy to take care of my challenges, and baby ?? Before I could say another word she whipped her head around and said, ?Oh no Mama! My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will take care of me,? ? recalls Lewis. ?She said it with such fervor and determination that I never brought it up again.?

yummy

ya rock muh world.

Very typical attitude towards mental health in the Black community - it's not surprising.

GRAND

Lewis has battled her own demons ? a sex addiction

DKLSKDKLSLDKDSKLDS

WAIT queens

Sinpool

d

This explains alot tbh.

The black community needs to get it tf together and start taking mental health serious.
Although it is kinda odd that despite the ignorance to mental health suicide although not uncommon in the black community isn't as prevalent as it is in the white community.

yummy

Quote from: LORD GRAND SUPREME PRIME CELESTIAL MARSHALL on November 04, 2017, 10:38:02 PM
Lewis has battled her own demons ? a sex addiction

DKLSKDKLSLDKDSKLDS

WAIT queens

bbbbbdbsbbsvsvsvbs

I read that and was like  :omgwatshappening: :caramelapple:

Kaeli.

what's more surprising than Whitney refusing help is Jenifer and her sex addiction :guys:

this makes me look @ her character on Blackish differently fjlda;;;;;;;;dl

ya rock muh world.

November 04, 2017, 10:59:48 PM #8 Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:00:24 PM by still dun care
Quote from: Uzi on November 04, 2017, 10:38:58 PM
d

This explains alot tbh.

The black community needs to get it tf together and start taking mental health serious.
Although it is kinda odd that despite the ignorance to mental health suicide although not uncommon in the black community isn't as prevalent as it is in the white community.
That's actually a good point.

No shade and I hope this doesn't sound to grossly ignorant but I think it could be because a lot us are built to be Ford tough from the beginning from starting our lives in tougher circumstances - like many of us are literally born into hardship. Could give more time to develop a thicker skin before we even know what the concept of suicide is.

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Vonc2002

Quote from: still dun care on November 04, 2017, 10:59:48 PM
d

This explains alot tbh.

No shade and I hope this doesn't sound to grossly ignorant but I think it could be because a lot us are built to be Ford tough from the beginning from starting our lives in tougher circumstances - like many of us are literally born into hardship. Could give more time to develop a thicker skin before we even know what the concept of suicide is.
Very true.  I say this all the time.  unbeknownst to them, white privilege shields white people from alot of shit that other ethnicities face. That's why when alot of white people come upon hard times they check out or explode and kill everyone. 
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

BAPHOMET.

Rxxf

Quote from: still dun care on November 04, 2017, 10:37:57 PM
Very typical attitude towards mental health in the Black community - it's not surprising.

Especially the older generation.

I swear most of my great aunts have mental illness.
All the bacchanal that be takin' place.
:melmel:
BRANDY

Rxxf

d

This explains alot tbh.

That sounds valid as fuck!!!
BRANDY

Rxxf

Quote from: Vonc2002 on November 04, 2017, 11:25:06 PM
d

This explains alot tbh.

Very true.  I say this all the time.  unbeknownst to them, white privilege shields white people from alot of shit that other ethnicities face. That's why when alot of white people come upon hard times they check out or explode and kill everyone.
BRANDY