I get so PISSED reading about the shit they did to us

Started by MAY, October 15, 2015, 04:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAY

Quote from: navyn on October 15, 2015, 08:40:22 PM
tell me about it. But I've come across some really great white ppl as of late, so I'm trying to be more open n not give a mean tea because the black lives matter movement really opened my eyes. I had to delete my Facebook because so many of my so-called white friends really showed they ass n I was like  :omgwatshappening: waiiiiit I thought. But anyway, its sad their also not going into detail about slavery in social studies classes. Hell, u really can't get good course on it until college

!!!!

I'll be the first to say that not all White people are like that. Some are very aware and open minded about what's really going on, and others aren't. I've been fortunate to not have any negative experiences with them regarding race that I know of, but I know that could change at any time.

I've taken it upon myself to start digging & learning about our history. A lot of stuff that's been said & posted on this board has peaked my interest. There's so much more to our history than just slavery. Black Wall St is an example of that. You don't hear about that kind of prosperity of Blacks in school.

Basically all we hear about are slavery & the Civil Rights movement.

We deserve more.

Herb.

I didn't want to create a new topic on this so I guess its appropriate to share in here.

This morning was a mixture of so many emotions for me. I was researching the Lumbee Indian tribe and found out that that they were very well known for sheltering runaway slaves. Which explains how the Natives came in contact with my African ancestors. And also explains why my great grandmother was a black woman with strong Native heritage.

I broke down crying , and I couldn't stop for some reason. I think it's one thing to read about slavery, know that it existed, etc. But to connect the dots and really know that it was surely your ancestors running across the country looking for somewhere to call home......running away from the brutal and cruel punishment they were subject to......it made me so angry. But to know your Native heritage doesn't come from Indians who ENSLAVED Africans (because many of them did)....but from those who HELPED your ancestors, and eventually conceived children with them......it touched me so deeply.

That's the reason why my great grandmother's family was able to stay in North Carolina and avoid removal by the white man (when they forced many Natives to relocate to the Midwest and other areas). It's because they were DARK SKINNED Indians, so they were assumed to simply be black. And it makes sense because my grandmother said the people from my great grandmother's family were all dark skinned.

I literally cried and cried this morning. This has to be the most beautiful discovery of my life. But sadly, also one of the most upsetting. But I now can definitely say I am PROUD to be of Lumbee descent. And this, for me, circles back to the importance of actually researching things, not just claiming it to claim it.

Herb.

And so many of us are quick to claim Cherokee mess when they were RIGHT BESIDE of the White man like fucking tap dancing Indian coons.....enslaving our African ancestors as well. They didn't quite see it for us. So it's crazy we want to be them so fucking bad.

Herb.

Quote from: ANIMMAI on October 15, 2015, 09:22:56 PM
aww af' ❤
hey boo ssss

i'm sorry but the more educated i get on this kind of mess the more i become "angry" at these white people :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop:
s
d
s'ds
ds

ds

i was so fucking mad this morning...so many tears from frustration
just having a picture like that painted in ur head, of what my ancestors really went through.
i picture pure CHAOS and madness......literally having to run for ur fucking life

ugh lemme stop because imma bout to get emotional again

yummy

vbbb your emotions are totally justified tho.

It is mind boggling when you realize how ingrained white supremacy is in our collective psyche. Everything from our ideas of success to our beauty standards to our education has been crafted by the racist foundations this country was built on.

How could you not get angry thinking about thus?

Herb.

I think we all laugh and joke about slavery sometimes here and there.....nothing serious but little giggles....because we feel so far removed from it. America the free! Woo hoo! :cheerup: :cheerup: But I will NEVER in my life make another slave joke again. What I saw in my head this morning and even now is not the least bit funny.

Herb.

Quote from: ANIMMAI on October 15, 2015, 09:31:45 PM
vbbb your emotions are totally justified tho.

It is mind boggling when you realize how ingrained white supremacy is in our collective psyche. Everything from our ideas of success to our beauty standards to our education has been crafted by the racist foundations this country was built on.

How could you not get angry thinking about thus?
I should stay out of this thread because I'm getting teary eyed again

ss :plzstop:

but yes.

And it's funny you mention ideas of success, I'm reading this book called "Thrive" (Huffington) which actually challenges those ideas. Granted, the book is written by a white womuh but we'll see.

Herb.

Quote from: navyn on October 15, 2015, 08:40:22 PM
tell me about it. But I've come across some really great white ppl as of late, so I'm trying to be more open n not give a mean tea because the black lives matter movement really opened my eyes. I had to delete my Facebook because so many of my so-called white friends really showed they ass n I was like  :omgwatshappening: waiiiiit I thought. But anyway, its sad their also not going into detail about slavery in social studies classes. Hell, u really can't get good course on it until college

deez

Quote from: Herbie on October 15, 2015, 09:20:52 PM
I didn't want to create a new topic on this so I guess its appropriate to share in here.

This morning was a mixture of so many emotions for me. I was researching the Lumbee Indian tribe and found out that that they were very well known for sheltering runaway slaves. Which explains how the Natives came in contact with my African ancestors. And also explains why my great grandmother was a black woman with strong Native heritage.

I broke down crying , and I couldn't stop for some reason. I think it's one thing to read about slavery, know that it existed, etc. But to connect the dots and really know that it was surely your ancestors running across the country looking for somewhere to call home......running away from the brutal and cruel punishment they were subject to......it made me so angry. But to know your Native heritage doesn't come from Indians who ENSLAVED Africans (because many of them did)....but from those who HELPED your ancestors, and eventually conceived children with them......it touched me so deeply.

That's the reason why my great grandmother's family was able to stay in North Carolina and avoid removal by the white man (when they forced many Natives to relocate to the Midwest and other areas). It's because they were DARK SKINNED Indians, so they were assumed to simply be black. And it makes sense because my grandmother said the people from my great grandmother's family were all dark skinned.

I literally cried and cried this morning. This has to be the most beautiful discovery of my life. But sadly, also one of the most upsetting. But I now can definitely say I am PROUD to be of Lumbee descent. And this, for me, circles back to the importance of actually researching things, not just claiming it to claim it.
Af, I'm so sorry for ever questioning your seriousness about this subject. sincerely babe.

Herb.

Quote from: stillyaleader on October 15, 2015, 10:42:16 PM

Af, I'm so sorry for ever questioning your seriousness about this subject. sincerely babe.
Thank you :wub:

I understand, though. So many of us African Americans play around with stuff like this. So it's expected that anytime someone brings up heritage, especially Native, we kind of shut down. Like, "Oh Lord here we go. Lemme guess, Cherokee?  :plea::plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :uhh:

But for me, it's different. I actually look a lot like my great grandmother Chief (way more than I do my light and bright grandmother :plzstop: ), since my mother took a LOT after her. And have always heard stories about her, since I was raised by my grandmother. I have her pictures, I grew up with her artwork surrounding the house....her beautiful molded mini statues, with her name carved on the bottom of each one....I just never got to meet her since she died 4 years before I was born.

I'm almost wrapped up with the research on this side of my family. I start on my father's side next. Which will prove to a be a bit more difficult since my last name was spelled so many different ways on documentation (lack of education and family knowledge in those days = people simply spelling things the way they're pronounced).

:melmel:

Love you, and thank you for your heartfelt apology. :blush: :blush:

deez

Quote from: Herbie on October 15, 2015, 11:10:04 PM

I understand, though. So many of us African Americans play around with stuff like this. So it's expected that anytime someone brings up heritage, especially Native, we kind of shut down. Like, "Oh Lord here we go. Lemme guess, Cherokee?  :plea::plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :uhh:

But for me, it's different. I actually look a lot like my great grandmother Chief (way more than I do my light and bright grandmother :plzstop: ), since my mother took a LOT after her. And have always heard stories about her, since I was raised by my grandmother. I have her pictures, I grew up with her artwork surrounding the house....her beautiful molded mini statues, with her name carved on the bottom of each one....I just never got to meet her since she died 4 years before I was born.

I'm almost wrapped up with the research on this side of my family. I start on my father's side next. Which will prove to a be a bit more difficult since my last name was spelled so many different ways on documentation (lack of education and family knowledge in those days = people simply spelling things the way they're pronounced).

For sure, love.

I understand your urge to find out the TRUTH. :dead: and I encourage you to keep digging, sis. Nothing at all wrong with expanding your knowledge on something so close to you. You've kind of inspired me to re-up on my own knowledge about black history.

& vvv;v;v;v
I thought I was the only one who questioned if I was actually part Cherokee like my mama swore up and down we were :dead:

Herb.

Quote from: stillyaleader on October 15, 2015, 11:19:30 PM
Quote from: Herbie on October 15, 2015, 11:10:04 PM

For sure, love.

I understand your urge to find out the TRUTH. :dead: and I encourage you to keep digging, sis. Nothing at all wrong with expanding your knowledge on something so close to you. You've kind of inspired me to re-up on my own knowledge about black history.

& vvv;v;v;v
I thought I was the only one who questioned if I was actually part Cherokee like my mama swore up and down we were :dead:
!!!!!

Find out your truth. We aren't the only ones who have these beliefs about Indian ancestry, white people do it just as much. If not more :uhh: Which is fucking weird to me, like your people were the oppressors and now you long to be the oppressed? White privilege isn't enough? u also wanna be the victim as well?   :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: r u fucking kidding me :plzstop: :plzstop: :usureuok:

From my great grandmother's name "Chief" alone I knew there had to be something there. it wasn't a trend to claim native mess back in the late 1800's.  :plzstop: But as an adult I wanted to do my OWN research and collect facts. It felt good when I called my grandmother today.... for the first time since I started this journey, I was able to educate her on something she DIDN'T know. :plzstop: :plzstop: :justabit:

And I have to say since I've started this, my self pride has skyrocketed. it's something about knowing exactly who you are...and where your ancestors come from....from Africa, to America. I can't say all this stuff will  matter to everyone, but it certainly did to me. today's finding was a cherry on top. so fulfilling, beyond words. so PROUD.

Look up your tea. Don't be shy about using the tools that are there to answer any questions you have.

BAPHOMET.