Afro bby help me

Started by Young, October 21, 2015, 10:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Young

do you comb out the natural patterns of your hair? Or do you kinda just use a product and let it curl up?

U need to do a styling vid for me cuz I want mine to kinda spiral like that :stressed:

Young

Your mess grew so long so fast so I know you're doing something right. :wellheythere:

And what products do you use for like leave in, daily styling etc

Herb.

October 21, 2015, 11:11:35 PM #2 Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:14:10 PM by Herbie
Hey bae :stressed:

I just do a wash and go.
Finger detangle and finger comb my hair in the shower, then once I'm out apply a leave in conditioner and a little bit of oil to seal the moisture in.

Then I take just a LITTLE bit of gel (quarter size amount) and rake it through.

I've noticed that the less I do to my hair, the more it "likes" me. :dead:
I've been using way less conditioner, etc.

My hair looks a bit thick and coarse when it's all together
but if you look closely, my hair strands are all very fine, a combination of waves and curls.

so it's only so much my hair can take before it starts looking weighed down and matted. which ain't fucking cute.

But it all depends on your curl pattern. Whether it's combed or not, your curl pattern is your curl pattern.
I don't own any grooming utensils, everything is done by hand.
my mother's side of the family all have hair like mine. I'm just learning how to take better care of it.

Do you know your hair type?

Young

Lemme post a pic and maybe u can help me out...

Should I wet it ain't oil it a bit first then show u?

:stressed:

Young

October 21, 2015, 11:15:37 PM #4 Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:16:21 PM by Young
No I'm not 100 % sure of my hair type but I know i only have one type and not a mixture. But like you said there are times where it can look dry, matted and coarse and normally it's not like that especially if I don't over wash/condition it

Young

I recently had to cut some of my dead ends and so I've just been washing, parting, moisturizing, twisting and setting it to just leave the moisture in. And I also wear a drag now at night. And it seems like it's been growing back pretty fast.

Just trying to learn the healthiest techniques and products

Cowgirl

I'm not clapping for this natural mess.

Young

Herb.

October 21, 2015, 11:22:53 PM #8 Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:26:10 PM by Herbie
:wub:

In order to see your natural curl pattern, make sure your hair hasn't been heat treated for at least a month or so.
U know how I feel about flat irons and mess. they're the devil .

A lot of people get "tricked" once they put down the heat and the perms.
they see a "curl pattern" and automatically assume its their natural mess. curls! waves!
permed/heat treated or damaged hair has a limp, lifeless look to it.

This girl is one of them. She thinks she has curls but that "pattern" is simply her hair getting out of a damaged state. And she had the nerve to add a disclaimer in the description for other people about "embracing their curl patterns" when hers hasn't even surfaced yet.

"Don't try this home if ur hair isn't curly! Not for everyone!"

Like sis, those aren't even curls. 3C Curls spiral. like a corkscrew. they look bouncy and lively. not dangle like a damn string. :dead: :plzstop:

Young

Quote from: Herbie on October 21, 2015, 11:22:53 PM
:wub:

In order to see your natural curl pattern, make sure your hair hasn't been heat treated for at least a month or so.
U know how I feel about flat irons and mess. they're the devil .

A lot of people get "tricked" once they put down the heat and the perms.
they see a "curl pattern" and automatically assume its their natural mess. curls! waves!
permed/heat treated or damaged hair has a limp, lifeless look to it.

This girl is one of them. She thinks she has curls but that "pattern" is simply her hair getting out of a damaged state. And she had the nerve to add a disclaimer in the description for other people about "embracing their curl patterns" when hers hasn't even surfaced yet.

"Don't try this home if ur hair isn't curly! Not for everyone!"

Like sis, those aren't even curls. 3C Curls spiral. like a corkscrew. they look bouncy and lively. not dangle. :dead:

Sddddddddddd

Ooop.

Well I did flat iron my hair once in September. I don't do it often but sometimes when I want my mess to LAY, I'll do it.
Normally I just blow dry it, oil, syrum and wrap ha and it gets pretty straight on its own over night.

Let's see here...I'll snap a few pics and show u how I normally set it over night and lemme know if it's a good technique

Herb.

October 21, 2015, 11:29:04 PM #10 Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:29:11 PM by Herbie
Quote from: Young on October 21, 2015, 11:17:58 PM
I recently had to cut some of my dead ends and so I've just been washing, parting, moisturizing, twisting and setting it to just leave the moisture in. And I also wear a drag now at night. And it seems like it's been growing back pretty fast.

Good :stressed: Keep that fucking heat away from ur head.
Hair isn't meant to be baked :udontlookok:

How long have u been doing that?

Herb.

these are the products I use.
I follow what's called the "Curly Girl Method" now. Just started and I've noticed a huge difference. which is amazing because its quite simple. Don't know why I didn't do this before. I think a lot of times we like to think we know what's best for our hair. oh! special! not like everyone else! my own routine! :cheerup: when there are simple steps that work for pretty much anyone with that hair type:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/no-poo/the-curly-girl-method-for-coily-hair/

But I don't follow it exactly the way its presented. Here's my way of doing it.

I start with Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus conditioner
gently glide it thru my hair. this gets my hair ready for detangling (never detangle dry hair. or hair that's not conditioned. it breaks ur hair off)

then, I take my fingers, using them like a comb and gently glide it through my hair to get rid of any tangles.
from root to tip. (and you'll see me saying "root to tip" A LOT. because everything should be done that way.)

then once I'm out the shower, I put in my leave DevaCurl B'Leave In .. leave in conditioner
My hair is quite fine and not coarse so it cannot handle thick butters or cremes too well. using a light, water based leave in conditioner is the best way to go for me.
Again, ROOT TO TIP, take a nice amount and I rake through my hair to ensure that it's distributed evenly.

now, I take a few pinches of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and apply it throughout my hair, raking it through.
this is called SEALING the hair. using oil AFTER your leave in conditioner seals in that fabulous moisture.
curls need all the moisture they can get.

And I only use one styler now. Which is gel. But I use VERY LITTLE.

I take a VERY SMALL AMOUNT of gel
again VERY SMALL AMOUNT. quarter size. and I have a LOT of hair but again, VERY SMALL AMOUNT
(my hair is easily weighed down, and gel will also HARDEN your hair if you apply too much. walking around looking like curled stones are on top of ur head. :dead: also known as "crunchy curls" ...which again, ain't fucking cute)

and I gently rake the small amount of gel into my head.
Sometimes I Honestly don't think I need the gel once I'm done sealing, but I just feel weird not applying at least ONE styling product. :dead:

Young

Okay so all these pics besides the bottom 2 I just took:

The first pic is what my hair strands like.
Then I wet my hair and add in the leave in lotion from Shea.

Then I separate my hair into 4 parts and make sure I lather my hair a bit in the two oils and detangler.

I don't like doing this process everyday so what I do is I twist it and wrap it at that pulled state. Like the photo below. Then I put a Durag on let it set overnight.

Then in the morning I comb it out (see bottom left) and then put up my man bun mess and punch. (Bottom right)

Young

Quote from: Herbie on October 21, 2015, 11:29:04 PM
Quote from: Young on October 21, 2015, 11:17:58 PM

Good :stressed: Keep that fucking heat away from ur head.
Hair isn't meant to be baked :udontlookok:

How long have u been doing that?

Sddmdndndndndndff

When I do it, I put it in very very low heat, and don't leave it on for too long.

I only started this year since it got long enough and only do it about once every other month.

Herb.

October 22, 2015, 12:40:25 AM #14 Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:40:48 AM by Herbie
u r so beautiful sis :stressed:

u pull off that bun so effortlessly  :kii: :kii: :plzstop:
:justabit:

ok back to ur hair mess....typing now
ssssss