So I also did this DNA test and the results are kind of shocking to me...

Started by Purple Moon, October 28, 2015, 08:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Moon

Never did I ever think I'd be more native american than middle eastern...all this is puzzling and fascinating.
I really need to start asking some questions now. Wonder what else is buried in the family history that's being kept a secret from me.

Thank you afro for encouraging us to try this out.
Must be a purple moon, feel like one of those nights...

SUPREME

Purple Moon

Purple Moon

it makes sense though...the exotic features, egyptian-earth-brown skin etc.

SUPREME

I'm kidding. I think it's interesting though that there aren't many connected land masses, yet the percentages are really high

You should have family from all over, but I'm sure someone has said this to you before?

Purple Moon

Quote from: SUPREME on October 28, 2015, 09:00:10 AM
I'm kidding. I think it's interesting though that there aren't many connected land masses, yet the percentages are really high

You should have family from all over, but I'm sure someone has said this to you before?

No, aside from my immediate family i don't know anything about the family heritage. Aside from a rumor here and there I wasn't able to get much info out of anybody.

Purple Moon

Herb.

Congrats! :wub:

Which test did you take? This looks different from Ancestry and FamilyTree

And by your results I'm assuming you're hispanic, or of hispanic descent?

Purple Moon

Quote from: Herbie on October 28, 2015, 09:04:44 AM
Congrats! :wub:

Which test did you take? This looks different from Ancestry and FamilyTree

And by your results I'm assuming you're hispanic, or of hispanic descent?

23andme

i knew nothing about being hispanic tbh. but as I'm able to claim some native american, I'm happy with that.

Purple Moon

Herb.

This is amazing to see. Most people are surprised with their results (especially blacks when we discover all that slave master blood).

And you can cluster that East Asia (Siberia) as an additional part of your Native heritage percentage. :dead:
Natives traveled from the Bering Strait (located in Siberia) to the Americas to begin their tribes. So you're a at around 41%.
Do you know of any Native American ancestors in your family? Or any tribal affiliation within your family that would cause the NA to pop up?

I assumed you're hispanic because many of them, Puerto Ricans in particular, have very very high percentages of Native American in their blood, because many of them are descendants of Mesoamericans. (Which weren't actual American Indian tribes but they were among the first to settle here). But a lot of them deny the heritage because of its association with Mexico. :dead:

The maximum NA heritage a black person has is around 5%. Since we are largely descended from Africa, and most of our ancestors are black or white. And Indians in general, didn't mingle with blacks and were against the white man's mess. So this explains why many of us have no NA heritage. Out of 8 great grandparents, only one of mine is Indian. But it's close enough of heritage for it to pop in a test. (And it's crazy cuz I look just like her :dead:  )

Genes are amazing, so happy for you. Use this is as a BASE for your research, if you're interested. Take a couple more tests, just to get a more well rounded generalization. Then bring it to your family and ask some questions. Just gather your stuff first before you approach them, remember whatever you tell your family regarding your test will be taken as truth for them. So take that seriously. Research research research.  :flamebroiled: :flamebroiled:

Herb.

Quote from: BrandySavedMyLife on October 28, 2015, 09:10:43 AM
this should get me a scholarship right?
You'd have to be able to prove your ancestor was part of a tribe, or was a direct descendant of the tribe.

Finding out the tribe is key. Where is your family from? I could easily connect the dots for my family since North Carolina is where my mom's family is from, is where the Lumbee Indians settled and my great grandmother's name was Chief Leach. Leach being listed as an official Lumbee Indian name. It just makes sense and matches what my grandmother told me. I simply confirmed it for myself through DNA.

It's all about researching and knowing your history. A DNA test will mean nothing to most tribes, they want to know the name of your ancestors.

DNA results would be an add on if anything. But they want that paper trail first and foremost.  :receipts:

These tests are usually used to confirm what someone already knows about their family.
It seems like you're in the beginning phases, as you're surprised that you even Native heritage.

Furthermore, once you discover your tribe, they'd have to be able to offer you that incentive. Not all tribes are federally funded.

Bentley!

Wow Irf, seeing this made me curious too
I guess I never asked you what you identified with culturally?

Stewie