All the Tracks on Mariah Carey's 'Music Box,' Ranked

Started by Lazarus, August 31, 2018, 09:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

By the summer of 1993, the public had come to know Mariah Carey as the most successful new diva in the pop world. The brown-eyed, curly-haired singer?s glass-shattering voice and talent for writing hit songs was quickly setting the standard for ?90s pop superstardom.

With two multi-Platinum albums already behind her, fans and music critics eagerly awaited the arrival of Carey?s third studio album, Music Box. While Carey?s previous studio effort, 1991's Emotions, leaned on R&B, soul and gospel influences for inspiration, Music Box took a slightly different approach, focusing its attention toward more pop, radio-friendly confections. Lyrically, many of the songs depict Mariah as a hopeless romantic, while others (e.g. ?Hero?) preach self-sufficiency.

Despite receiving some harsh reviews from music critics, who claimed that Music Box lacked emotion and substantial writing, the 10-track LP became Carey's first to be certified Diamond by the RIAA, selling over 10 million copies in the U.S. alone, and spawned two No. 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, ?Dreamlover? and ?Hero.? The diva?s fifth studio project, Daydream, would mostly follow in the Music Box mold, to even greater success and favorable reviews praising Carey?s songwriting skill. Mimi would eventually return to her R&B roots with 1997?s Butterfly, but the blockbuster success of Music Box and Daydream ultimately helped the Long Island native become the top-selling artist of the ?90s.

To celebrate Music Box?s 25th anniversary this Friday (Aug. 31), we ranked all the tracks on the now-iconic LP.

Their ranking
Link

Happy Anniversary  :stressed:

Kaeli.

d @ Music Box being so high & Never forget you being so low :udontlookok:

But AYNAF is the rightful winner

BAPHOMET.

Nine

This album has some 90s cheese, but Music Box, Dreamlover, All I've Ever Wanted and Everything Fades Away >>>>>

:gorlonfire:

FAMÈ

This album is TRASH. Hardly any good songs or memorable hits.

FAMÈ

BAPHOMET.

BAPHOMET.

FAMÈ

Dnndndnd

I?m exaggerating but it?s just weak to me

FAMÈ

I hated her first three albums tbh. Outside the singles.

Kaeli.

I actually love his album when I?m in a Ballady mood

Rainbow is def her worst 90?s album

FRANCE

All I've Ever Wanted, Everything Fades Away and Just To Hold U Once Again >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This list is trash. Created by some casual Mariah listener I'm sure. Bet if this was Butterfly, they'd put Outside & Whenever U Call in the bottom 3 too.

Maybe its cause they werent singles or overplayed, but these are the kind of songs I go up for with Mariah anyways. This is def in my Top 3 of her best albums. Butterfly #1, Daydream #2.

Ulysses

Ummmm ?All I Ever Wanted? and ?without You? are the best songs on the album

Nine

Quote from: Kaeli. on August 31, 2018, 09:38:47 PM
I actually love his album when I?m in a Ballady mood

Rainbow is def her worst 90?s album
n