Africans sold other Africans into slavery.

Started by Herb., November 11, 2015, 12:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herb.

This is something that is rarely talked about or touched on....The slave trade was a big business for many African kingdoms. They fought wars with one another with the goal of overpowering and forcing other Africans to submit and be sold off to Europeans.... Many times in exchange for goods, weaponry, etc.

It wasn't quite as simple as Europeans coming over to Africa and kidnapping the gorls.

How do you feel about this? I have so many mixed thoughts that I have yet to fully draw my own opinion on it.

Cowgirl

And I'm sure there was plenty of manipulation going on via Europeans..

Herb.

November 11, 2015, 12:39:10 AM #3 Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:40:55 AM by Herbie
Quote from: buffet album in stores dec. 11 on November 11, 2015, 12:35:19 AM
This isn't true.
My sister first brought this to my attention during a debate we were having
She was very passionate about it, and genuinely angry that it went down.
And honestly I found it very hard to believe.

But Henry Louis Gates Jr...professor of African American studies at Harvard, just mentioned it in a documentary I am watching tonight.

Skip to 43:00

GYNandTONIC

November 11, 2015, 12:42:47 AM #4 Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:43:21 AM by GYNandTONIC
From my understanding the slaves that were sold were captives/criminals. It would be like us selling the criminals on death row to another country in exchange for something of value.

They had no clue as to what type of situation they were selling these captives into. And shortly after they actually started to kidnapp and steal actual tribes men. Not 100% sure but this is my understanding

iman

d

I knew you were you going to mention Henry. He's a self-hater, luv. He has some kind of weird vendetta against Africa and I honestly think that's why Henry is obsessed with finding out more from his ancestry. He hates the fact that he's black and has no shame admitting it.

Kurama

Wasn't a significant aspect of slavery. Also important to note that chieftains, tribal leaders, kings whatever you wanna call it primarily sold people who were already "slaves" in Africa.

Also its a parallel of Black people who throw others Black people under the bus now. Especially for the respect/acceptance of white people.

Herb.

Quote from: buffet album in stores dec. 11 on November 11, 2015, 12:42:52 AM
d

I knew you were you going to mention Henry. He's a self-hater, luv. He has some kind of weird vendetta against Africa and I honestly think that's why Henry is obsessed with finding out more from his ancestry. He hates the fact that he's black and has no shame admitting it.
Where is all of this misinformation coming from?

It has to have some sort of logical basis........some morsel of truth that has been exaggerated...I'm seeing so many conflicting articles as I search through Google now.

"They did!  :indiaarie: "

"No they didn't  :usureuok:"

"Yes they did  :nowgorl: "

I knew part of me was a little hesitant to really believe it when I first heard it. I guess I assumed hearing it from a professor's mouth gave the claim some substantiation. Does Harvard just hire anyone? :usureuok:

iman

Quote from: GYNandTONIC on November 11, 2015, 12:42:47 AM
From my understanding the slaves that were sold were captives/criminals. It would be like us selling the criminals on death row to another country in exchange for something of value.

They had no clue as to what type of situation they were selling these captives into. And shortly after they actually started to kidnapp and steal actual tribes men. Not 100% sure but this is my understanding

War captives*

Slavery was practiced around the world tho. Europe, Asia, Africa and even America.

Herb.

Quote from: Kurama on November 11, 2015, 12:47:51 AM
Wasn't a significant aspect of slavery. Also important to note that chieftains, tribal leaders, kings whatever you wanna call it primarily sold people who were already "slaves" in Africa.

Also its a parallel of Black people who throw others Black people under the bus now. Especially for the respect/acceptance of white people.
OK so it did happen, it just wasn't widespread.
This makes sense. I know a professor of a prestigious university would not risk ruining his reputation by literally making up lies. :plzstop: THis makes sense, I knew it had to come from somewhere. It sounded like a truth that could easily be exaggerated.

Henry never claimed that it was the ONLY aspect of the slave trade, to be fair.

iman

Henry puts the blame of the Atlantic slave trade on Africa :kii: selling war captives across different African countries and overseas isn't the same.

Herb.

November 11, 2015, 01:00:25 AM #11 Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:01:08 AM by Herbie
Quote from: buffet album in stores dec. 11 on November 11, 2015, 12:56:43 AM
Henry puts the blame of the Atlantic slave trade on Africa :kii: selling war captives across different African countries and overseas isn't the same.
It's interesting that you brought up the self hate mess...
there was one scene in another documentary I was watching where he revealed Tina Turner's DNA results.....to show she was 35% European. She was like oh wow ok.  :)

And he was like "I'm 50%  :supluv: "

she just looked at him like  :)

Then I think he caught himself and added "To my horror! lol! Disgusted tbh"

Like OK, you got more slave rape than she does! Whoopty fucking do.  :uhh:
break out the bubbly! :cheerup:
That kinda turned me off.

Sinpool

November 11, 2015, 01:18:04 AM #12 Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:19:26 AM by Lion Babe
The way this is framed is such a lie and that's why people get away with this argument.

Slavery before the slave trade was different. Most slaves were war captives and alot of them had the chance to eventually buy their way out of slavery. The slaves that were sold were either captives or stolen from other villages. It had nothing to do with HOW you looked.

Race as we know it didn't exist back then. The Africans didn't know wtf a black race was and neither did the Europeans, but now since race does exist as a social construct it's easy to say "Africans sold their family and friends" because we look at the race as a sort of kinship, but those people had no affiliation with the people they sold. It was bad, but it looks worse now because we view it as Blacks selling their family when in reality it was just people selling random people.

Kurama

Quote from: Herbie on November 11, 2015, 12:53:11 AM

This makes sense. I know a professor of a prestigious university would not risk ruining his reputation by literally making up lies. :plzstop: THis makes sense, I knew it had to come from somewhere. It sounded like a truth that could easily be exaggerated.

I was just discussing it with you

:shannonsmissing: :calmdownsis:

Herb.

Quote from: Kurama on November 11, 2015, 01:18:20 AM
Quote from: Herbie on November 11, 2015, 12:53:11 AM

I was just discussing it with you

:shannonsmissing: :calmdownsis:
I was agreeing with you lol

:uhh:

You made sense of the conflicting stories.