Larry Gold (Philly Arranger) discusses the Philly Sound (Brandy, Monica & Timber

Started by long-timeTheRoofFan, December 04, 2018, 09:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

long-timeTheRoofFan

Check out this video of Legendary Philly Arranger "Larry Gold" discussing making music in Philly and the Philadelphia / Philly Sound.

He talks about Jill Scott, Brandy & Monica, Justin Timberlake and more!

Young

Chile this is a damn hour :uhh:

When does he discuss his Queens Brandy and Monica

long-timeTheRoofFan

I'm still watching so I'll let you know.. but it's all pretty interesting so far

Young

long-timeTheRoofFan

About 34 minutes in he starts to talk about creating his own recording studio where Rodney Jerkins was a main stay producer.

long-timeTheRoofFan

He talks about the boy is mine at the 37 min mark ... the instrumental for the song was produced in his studio.. Vocals done elsewhere.

He talks about how "the boy is mine" melody is like a "Theme Song" like "the Godfather Theme" and has epic strings mixed down into the track that can barely be heard but are very epic..

Get ready for this song to blow you away at the upcoming Symphony Orchestra!!

:plzstop:

He knew Rodney Jerkins from the time Rodney was 13 and helped to shape his sound and ear.

Young

Quote from: long-timeBfan on December 04, 2018, 09:31:57 AM
He talks about the boy is mine at the 37 min mark ... the instrumental for the song was produced in his studio.. Vocals done elsewhere.

He talks about how "the boy is mine" melody is like a "Theme Song" like "the Godfather Theme" and has epic strings mixed down into the track that can barely be heard but are very epic..

Get ready for this song to blow you away at the upcoming Symphony Orchestra!!

:plzstop:

He knew Rodney Jerkins from the time Rodney was 13 and helped to shape his sound and ear.

Wowwwwwwwww

And yeah it always gave me a ?As the World Turns? or Bold and The beautiful? Soap mess

long-timeTheRoofFan

In his studio - he set up lots of little studio rooms that young producers took over..
He had a room for Rodney Jerkins, The Roots, Timbaland, Pharrell Williams and the Neptunes, etc

Timbaland did Justin Timberlake first few records at his studio - including sessions when Cameron Diaz was there because she was dating Timberlake at the time.

long-timeTheRoofFan

This Larry Gold guy did strings on so many of my favourite songs and his strings are actually some of the best parts of the songs.. I didn't realize I loved this man until today.

:wub:

long-timeTheRoofFan

Haha, there's a funny Kanye story around the 48 min mark

He created "Flashing Lights" in 1 day for Kanye, he did 808's & Heartbeat

He even helped Kanye propose to Kim K with a 60 piece Orchestra playing her favourite song.