Aaliyah Talking about Her Rapist

Started by ssw4919, January 13, 2019, 03:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4 fucking k

Quote from: L0NZ. on January 13, 2019, 09:14:31 PM
He introduced her. He didn?t make her. That?s enough credit.

Fair enough.

Aalonso.

And of course you see him mentioned in articles about her because all posthumous articles read as biographies in which it?s obviously necessary to include how she was introduced. If she were alive and making news, you wouldn?t have that.

Scott.

Scott.

Quote from: Zanny on January 13, 2019, 09:16:56 PM
Quote from: 4 fucking k on January 13, 2019, 09:05:25 PM
Guys...

Her best selling album is her first album.
Is it?

Didn?t her other two albums sell more? I thought it was her least selling one although it went platinum

BAPHOMET.

4 fucking k

Quote from: Zanny on January 13, 2019, 09:16:56 PM
Quote from: 4 fucking k on January 13, 2019, 09:05:25 PM
Guys...

Her best selling album is her first album.
Is it?

n

Yes. And the singles were very successful. Only ?Try Again? outcharted.

4 fucking k

And her version of At Your Best is ICONIC

Sampled many times

Don?t sleep on Bert, fags. Just cause it?s cool to not like him now.

Vonc2002

People definitely dont associate Aaliyah and R.Kelly.... maybe if you were an adult from that period but definitely not.  Aaliyah's most iconic music is from her middle 2 albums.  The one song i will say people really remember from the debut is At Your best
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

ssw4919

Just FYI, she wasn?t signed due to Rapist.  And the only reason he did the whole album is because Barry was once again being cheap.

He did her first album, universally considered her worst, and then brought her to the brink of failure during that project.  She had to start over on OIAM, and she flourished without him.

Like her dad said, she was destined for greatness long before she met him. 

QuoteAnd Aaliyah eventually became a part of that roster. On a podcast with Billboard, you said that her uncle Barry Hankerson, who was managing R. Kelly, brought her to Jive?
He had brought Aaliyah to Jive and I think he started bring her to Jive when she was probably around 11 or 12? She was young when she put out the first album, but she was like 11 or 12 when he first started shopping her to Jive. The guy who owned Jive at the time, Clive Calder, he?s also an A&R person by trade. He was basically head of the A&R department. Barry kept shopping her to him and he saw something, but he said, ?She?s not ready, she?s still young, she needs to be developed more.? Barry would go back and develop her more. Aaliyah was in a performing arts high school in Detroit, like the Fame kind of school, but for Detroit. She was always a creative girl, that was her path, singing and dancing. Barry kept bringing her back. I think when she was 14 was when Clive said, ?Okay, we?re ready to take a shot at her.? And they signed her and started to put together her work on that first album...

I?m assuming it was always the plan to have R. Kelly do the producing and songwriting or were there any discussions to bring in other producers or songwriters along the way?
Not that I remember, Robert was going to do the whole record. Clive was a publishing guru, so he and Barry weren?t trying to cut a lot of people in on the album to share the publishing. They said we?re going to do this with one guy and the publishing will be easy to deal with because it?s one person.

https://www.vibe.com/2016/08/age-aint-nothing-but-a-number-aaliyah-week

Vonc2002

Quote from: 4 fucking k on January 13, 2019, 09:24:54 PM
don't think people think R. KELLY  when they hear At your best either.  I definitely don't, even if he did produce it.
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

4 fucking k

4 fucking k

She was signed to Jive because of R. Kelly, dumb dyke. Speak on what you know. It wasn?t about being ?cheap? :dead: He got paid and still does :dead:

Vonc2002

If people truly associated Aaliyah and R Kelly she would've never been able to move beyond that scandal.  The fact that she literally never mentioned it or him is also why we completely forgot about them and it

4 fucking k

Quote from: Vonc2002 on January 13, 2019, 09:29:00 PM
Quote from: 4 fucking k on January 13, 2019, 09:24:54 PM
don't think people think R. KELLY  when they hear At your best either.  I definitely don't, even if he did produce it.

n

To you.

Music critics say otherwise.