Y'all bitches ain't ready for Nicki Lewinsky!

Started by Kalifornia., April 29, 2019, 06:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAY7

Quote from: L0NZ. on April 29, 2019, 06:55:49 PM
Quote from: 89 on April 29, 2019, 06:49:19 PM
Well, when Nicki came out the BET Awards brought back the best Female rap category
and shortly after you had Iggy, Azealia, Diamond from Crime Mob etc
the reality show Sisterhood of Hip-Hop was created with Brianna Perry, SIYA etc
a lot of doors were re-opened
and honestly, still no one has made a BIG breakthrough except Cardi and Iggy
but female rap has slowly grown since Nicki sparked it

I see, but all these girls were flops so if we're counting them as walking thru the door Nicki opened we have to count the flops that were already sitting in the room, the ones Afro mentioned.
nah because these were NEW girls that only got a chance to release and flop because labels finally saw female rappers as marketable
and the general public began to pay attention
The older girls Afro mentioned weren't even flopping
Kim, Fox, Eve etc had not released albums in years at that point

Aalonso.

Quote from: Bloodhounds tryna hunt down the brown FOX. on April 29, 2019, 06:51:50 PM
Quote from: L0NZ. on April 29, 2019, 06:45:14 PM
Quote from: Bloodhounds tryna hunt down the brown FOX. on April 29, 2019, 06:40:44 PM
Girl. Female rap was pronounced DEAD until Nicki came along.

Let's roll the damn tapes:

- Shim was somewhere singing about AOL emails drenched in autotune

- FOX was in a nail shop cursing out Mei Ling and stealing weave

- Trina was somewhere saying I'm da baddest bitch for the millionth time

- Lauryn was filing her nails as her fans begged for another alber

- Missy was somewhere over it and eating puss

Did I miss anything?

And Nicki was a girl who rapped ushered in by the hottest clique at the time. That's not resurrecting female rap. If Wu Tang came back doing 90s style music you wouldn't say they resurrected 90s music unless everyone started doing it too. Otherwise they're just a group who happens to be doing 90s style music, just like Nicki was just a girl who raps :uhh:

Like I SAID, "female rap" ain't start poppin until Nickis career died
I get where you're going and it makes sense, but it can be argued that Nicki's immense success made female rap something that was seen as marketable again.

Let's not act like sometimes it takes that ONE person or act to prove that something is actually bankable so labels/companies can begin pushing out more of it.

No one was expecting a female rapper to ever KILL it again. She kinda came out of nowhere.

I know this isn't a title or credit that you would be excited to give Nicki, but it's a very logical conclusion.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-nicki-minaj-revives-female-voice-in-rap-2010aug18-story.html

Nicki shitted. I just don't get why everyone acts like there was this LENGTHY period where there weren't any female rappers releasing. Being past their prime and flopping is one thing, but to act like there was some wasteland of female rappers is rubbish. I don't think she resurrected anything. She was talented and happened to be the next, new big thing.

Cowgirl

Quote from: Bloodhounds tryna hunt down the brown FOX. on April 29, 2019, 06:58:13 PM
And let's also not act like there's never a "room for only one" mess among different fields...especially in music and ESPECIALLY when it comes to women.

We saw it with Naomi and Tyra. 
Beyonce and Rihanna

Beyonce really showed people how marketable a Black woman can be in entertainment when she's groomed "right" and super talented

It may be YEARS and YEARS before we legit see another Beyonce (because she's just that fucking awesome), but that doesn't mean that she didn't really put it out in the universe that Black girls can REALLY rock the pop scene  as well.

There were years before we found someone who had it what it took to really rival Nicki. Cardi came at a time when Nicki's buzz was slowing down, and is immensely charismatic and lovable...and genuine. It was just great timing for her to really pop off.

People were ready for a new rap queen.

And let's not act like people's hatred for Nicki didn't contribute a bit to Cardi's success. You had people PUSHING for her just because they cannot STAND Nicki and wanted to see her dethroned and dragged. Which is kinda understandable when you take Nicki's personality into consideration.

But let's not act brand new. Give the Queen of Southside her fucking flowers.
And that's that.

Cowgirl

Quote from: L0NZ. on April 29, 2019, 07:01:04 PM
Quote from: Bloodhounds tryna hunt down the brown FOX. on April 29, 2019, 06:51:50 PM
Quote from: Bloodhounds tryna hunt down the brown FOX. on April 29, 2019, 06:40:44 PM

Did I miss anything?

And Nicki was a girl who rapped ushered in by the hottest clique at the time. That's not resurrecting female rap. If Wu Tang came back doing 90s style music you wouldn't say they resurrected 90s music unless everyone started doing it too. Otherwise they're just a group who happens to be doing 90s style music, just like Nicki was just a girl who raps :uhh:

I get where you're going and it makes sense, but it can be argued that Nicki's immense success made female rap something that was seen as marketable again.

Let's not act like sometimes it takes that ONE person or act to prove that something is actually bankable so labels/companies can begin pushing out more of it.

No one was expecting a female rapper to ever KILL it again. She kinda came out of nowhere.

I know this isn't a title or credit that you would be excited to give Nicki, but it's a very logical conclusion.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-nicki-minaj-revives-female-voice-in-rap-2010aug18-story.html

Nicki shitted. I just don't get why everyone acts like there was this LENGTHY period where there weren't any female rappers releasing. Being past their prime and flopping is one thing, but to act like there was some wasteland of female rappers is rubbish. I don't think she resurrected anything. She was talented and happened to be the next, new big thing.
They were around but no one was being taken seriously.

yummy

Quote from: L0NZ. on April 29, 2019, 06:38:15 PM
but anyway

keep a couple pink toes in my sandddoess
got some bangoeessss all over my ankkkkoooesss

BIT

Aalonso.

Quote from: 89 on April 29, 2019, 07:00:41 PM
Well, when Nicki came out the BET Awards brought back the best Female rap category

I see, but all these girls were flops so if we're counting them as walking thru the door Nicki opened we have to count the flops that were already sitting in the room, the ones Afro mentioned.
nah because these were NEW girls that only got a chance to release and flop because labels finally saw female rappers as marketable

I still don't think it's sound to say it was dead tho, nobody up and declared female rappers worthless. Labels were still signing their token girl rapper of the clique in those years (Shawnna and the like) so obviously they weren't counted out as not marketable. Also Kim and Missy had just released in 2005 and a 3/4 year break is usual for artists of that time so again, when Nicki came in 2008 females hadn't been counted out at all. Nicki was just the new one who BLEW. It was her time. That's it. If anything, she monopolized it.

Aalonso.

Quote from: Bloodhounds tryna hunt down the brown FOX. on April 29, 2019, 07:03:54 PM
Quote from: L0NZ. on April 29, 2019, 07:01:04 PM

Did I miss anything?

Of course there were female rappers releasing.

Just like there are Korean twinks out here releasing music in the states. But no one has come yet to really prove they can be a force to be reckoned with on this scene.

And once we see a Hay Woo who really SLAYS it in America, it makes it possible for it to happen again.

You can release all you want, but without a damn MACHINE to back you, it's pointless if you're tryna make it mainstream. And that MACHINE doesn't turn on until it's confirmed that you're worth the investment.

All good points Afro and Ray but I'm standing in my mess. And I actually think there is some Asian boy band who slayed last year but I think everyone's over it already.

ophababes.

RAY7

Quote from: L0NZ. on April 29, 2019, 07:08:16 PM

I still don't think it's sound to say it was dead tho, nobody up and declared female rappers worthless. Labels were still signing their token girl rapper of the clique in those years (Shawnna and the like) so obviously they weren't counted out as not marketable. Also Kim and Missy had just released in 2005 and a 3/4 year break is usual for artists of that time so again, when Nicki came in 2008 females hadn't been counted out at all. Nicki was just the new one who BLEW. It was her time. That's it. If anything, she monopolized it.
lol Shawnna had BEEN around do you have a different example

Aalonso.

Quote from: 89 on April 29, 2019, 07:17:12 PM
Quote from: L0NZ. on April 29, 2019, 07:08:16 PM

lol Shawnna had BEEN around do you have a different example

I mean TPain had just signed her in 2009 Nicki wasn't NICKI at that point. Rent went to jail in 07. I mean there was nothing to revive. She just POPPED. Period.

If you had Amerie, Nivea and the girls out flopping and not being "taken seriously" and then Beyoncé comes and blows up....... did she resurrect the sector or was she just THAT bitch who was better than with the better machine?

Aalonso.

Lil Mama was 2008. I mean we love to kiki @ her but I'm making a point. 

Aalonso.

Cowgirl