HARRIET - TRAILER (In Theaters 11/01)

Started by GLOCK, July 23, 2019, 11:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHOKE

Buy The Stars✨

I hate slave movies As everyone else but a movie about Harriet is long over due. 

M-Rocka

I can't wait to see this, you already know she'll be nominated for an Oscar and probably win because she plays a slave escaping to freedom.

jtwoeleven

Why do y'all hate slave movies? I think they serve an important purpose, but that depends a lot on who's making it, and how it's handled.

There's a lot of historical misinformation floating around, especially about American slavery. There are too many voices out there who try to minimize its impact, or flat out lie about historical events, like the civil war for example.

FlowerBomb

'ology

Finally !!! It's crazy the greatest person in the United States diaspora is just getting a movie chronicling her life. It looks amazing though I love seeing them with those guns shoot them yts down!
:scrumptious:
Blessed Be The Mufuckin Fruit!!!

jtwoeleven

Quote from: FlowerBomb on July 23, 2019, 12:56:47 PM
Quote from: jtwoeleven on July 23, 2019, 12:53:40 PM
Also...everyone doesn't seem so thrilled with her casting...she's a bit problematic apparently...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.essence.com/v/s/www.essence.com/amp/entertainment/cynthia-erivo-black-british-actress-harriet-tubman-movie/%3famp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%253D#ampf=
I don't see the issue with what she said?
Unless I've missed something

From the looks of it, Cynthia doesn't seem to view African Americans (native blacks) as a unique, specific group of black people. When some pushed back on her casting, she side stepped the issue and kinda veered off into African Americans being pushed into this "flat blackness". Yet she has no problem identifying herself specifically with her African or British identity.

GLOCK

FlowerBomb

Quote from: jtwoeleven on July 23, 2019, 01:02:35 PM
Quote from: FlowerBomb on July 23, 2019, 12:56:47 PM
Quote from: jtwoeleven on July 23, 2019, 12:53:40 PM
Also...everyone doesn't seem so thrilled with her casting...she's a bit problematic apparently...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.essence.com/v/s/www.essence.com/amp/entertainment/cynthia-erivo-black-british-actress-harriet-tubman-movie/%3famp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%253D#ampf=
I don't see the issue with what she said?
Unless I've missed something

From the looks of it, Cynthia doesn't seem to view African Americans (native blacks) as a unique, specific group of black people. When some pushed back on her casting, she side stepped the issue and kinda veered off into African Americans being pushed into this "flat blackness". Yet she has no problem identifying herself specifically with her African or British identity.
I think people are reading too much into it, I think she's saying no one would no she wasn't AA unless she opened her mouth and that this role wasn't handed to her and she had to work hard for it.
Besides if we're going to play that game we're gonna have to do a DNA test on every black actor before they play a damn biopic :plzstop:

Cowgirl

This looks good and they didn't cast an ugly Harriet!

FlowerBomb

Samuel started that mess, :dead:
Entitled self

Cowgirl

British actors need to focus on portraying roles of British people. Flat out.

FlowerBomb