Billboard.com article on Mon, Bran, and Fanny's latest radio achievements

Started by Checkmate Burruss, August 22, 2019, 05:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Checkmate Burruss

Quote'Grown But Not Retired': How Now-Classic R&B Divas Are Thriving at Radio and Beyond

8/22/2019 by Bianca Gracie

R&B is a young person's game -- at least judging by the Billboard Hot 100, where streaming-friendly artists like Lizzo and Khalid dominate. But look a little deeper, and you'll find that the hitmakers of yesteryear are, well, still making hits. In July, Monica's throbbing slow jam "Commitment" hit No. 1 on Billboard's radio-based Adult R&B Songs list -- her first chart-topper there since 2010. Fantasia, who this year celebrated the 15th anniversary of her American Idol win, hit No. 2 on the same chart in August with the '80s-inspired "Enough." Brandy is sitting just inside the tally's top 10 with "Love Again," a lush duet with Daniel Caesar. And all three have full-length projects expected this fall -- proof that R&B's new class of veteran divas still has plenty of opportunities.

Monica   
READ MORE
Monica's 'Commitment' to 'True R&B' Rewarded With Fourth No. 1 On Adult R&B Songs
"They're in the right demo of 'grown but not retired,' " says Dee Dee Faison, promotions director at WBLS (107.5 FM) New York. And that middle ground is not a bad place to be. As Heather Lowery, vp talent and touring at Live Nation Urban, puts it: "They've made timeless music that still appeals to their original fan base yet connects to younger fans who are able to appreciate the progression of R&B."

The fact that once-young fans from their heyday are now adults with purchasing power helps sustain their longevity. "[Their fans] are in the age range of 26 to about 50. We work hard, so we can afford the $200 seats for a girls' trip to see them live," says Faison. "Younger fans may not be able to afford the tickets, so they get the music through the radio or streaming. We're more prone to buy the record and support them on the road."

Fantasia photographed July 11, 2016 at Cienfuegos in New York.   
READ MORE
Fantasia Draws Up a New Sound With Her Upcoming Album 'Sketchbook': 'I Love All Genres of Music. Not just R&B'
Late-'90s/early-2000s nostalgia is also big in the urban music market right now. In 2016, Sean Combs' Bad Boy Family Reunion trek reunited acts like Lil Kim, 112 and Faith Evans, grossing $22.3 million, according to figures reported to Billboard Boxscore; this year, boy band B2K's Millennium Tour became the group's most successful yet, grossing $25.5 million with a stacked lineup that included fellow crooners like Mario and Bobby V. A co-headlining package featuring these women isn't a far-fetched idea: Monica joined Xscape's 2017-18 reunion tour, and this year, she and Brandy took part in Live Nation's Femme It Forward concert series alongside such peers as Ashanti and Mýa.

Still, the artists themselves note that not trying to compete at all is what keeps them so competitive. "Authenticity is key," Monica explains. "Being you allows people to trust and believe in your artistry, and that's why I never hesitate to be me." Says Fantasia: "When you hear [our voices], you know it's us. It's a sound that can't be duplicated. The humbleness about us, staying true to ourselves and not trying to change our style to fit in -- that's what makes us stick around."

This article originally appeared in the Aug. 24 issue of Billboard.
THEY DO ANYDAMNTHANG FUH BSOURCE CLOUT

Young

b7

And it's very true how their core fans will buy tickets and purchase music. definitely keeps them thriving a bit 

specifically all the shows they can book

Young

BranBran

Quote from: 1RIG on August 22, 2019, 05:48:33 PM
And it's very true how their core fans will buy tickets and purchase music. definitely keeps them thriving a bit

Yea, I travelled from Spain to Washington for her to cancel the day the show was supposed to be.

Navyman

Quote from: BranBran on August 22, 2019, 07:31:26 PM

Yea, I travelled from Spain to Washington for her to cancel the day the show was supposed to be.
:omgwatshappening:

Vonc2002

Quote from: BranBran on August 22, 2019, 07:31:26 PM

:guys:
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

b7