Keith crouch discusses Brandy and the process of creating her Debut

Started by b7, November 21, 2019, 08:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b7

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/making-brand-self-titled-album-1994-interview-keith-crouch.html/amp

QuoteWhat was it like recording her voice?
It was amazing because I had never heard something that special coming from someone that young before. To this day, there's a lot of talented and successful singers out there, but I still feel like Brandy has something that no one has. It's just a soul that comes from Mississippi. It's like someone who grew up idolizing Whitney Houston, but then at the same time, without her even knowing it, she sung the blues. She could do all these runs and, of course, everybody was really into that, especially in the '90s. It wasn't about the runs that really got me, it was where she went with it in her soul that really made her stand out from the rest

b7

QuoteIt really didn't take her long to double her voice. That's not the easiest thing to do. Either somebody as a singer, they get it, and they ride that wave when it comes to hearing themselves, or sometimes they even need the first track and they don't hear themselves and they sing exactly what they did.

As a damn TEEN  :kii:  She was unreal

reekz

Her voice on this album was everything. I didn't k ow Robin Thicke did Love on My Side. Also I wonder why she never worked with Crouch again. 

duboisrene

D.I.E.G.O.

jtwoeleven

I believe it was Lalah Hathaway who said that Brandy had "hungry" sound on this album, and I agree. She sang like she had shit to prove!!

DraeDrizzl3

Quote from: 1RIG on November 21, 2019, 08:08:51 PM
https://www.okayplayer.com/music/making-brand-self-titled-album-1994-interview-keith-crouch.html/amp

It was amazing because I had never heard something that special coming from someone that young before. To this day, there's a lot of talented and successful singers out there, but I still feel like Brandy has something that no one has. It's just a soul that comes from Mississippi. It's like someone who grew up idolizing Whitney Houston, but then at the same time, without her even knowing it, she sung the blues. She could do all these runs and, of course, everybody was really into that, especially in the '90s. It wasn't about the runs that really got me, it was where she went with it in her soul that really made her stand out from the rest
:loose2when:

I have to play the debut. It's been a minute. Such a classic and she was singing her face off

:gorlonfire:

long-timeTheRoofFan

Nice! I want "Mississippi" to be one of the words that define the sound of the new album too.

Young

Quote from: 1RIG on November 21, 2019, 08:08:51 PM

:'(

Young

Quote from: 1RIG on November 21, 2019, 08:11:06 PM
QuoteIt really didn't take her long to double her voice. That's not the easiest thing to do. Either somebody as a singer, they get it, and they ride that wave when it comes to hearing themselves, or sometimes they even need the first track and they don't hear themselves and they sing exactly what they did.

As a damn TEEN  :kii:  She was unreal

This is why I stan

Bish

Now I have to listen to Baby after learning the end was all one take. That is one of her best vocal performances and she deserved that Grammy. 

Seven

Quote from: TellmeLies on November 21, 2019, 08:27:48 PM
Her voice on this album was everything. I didn't k ow Robin Thicke did Love on My Side. Also I wonder why she never worked with Crouch again.

She worked with Keith again in 2002 on Full Moon. He produced "Apart"

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw