Has R&B become reductive?

Started by GYNandTONIC, December 13, 2015, 08:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GYNandTONIC

I was really thinking about the R&B issue. Has the genre's subject matter at this point become reductive?

Are we tired of popping bottles and smoking? Are we tired of hearing men sing about sex instead of love? Are we tired of women singing about no good men? Have we sung the same song for to damn long?

I do! I think the blue eyed soul artist and the alternative r&b black artist have one thing in common. Stronger, deeper, more poetic lyrics.

There was a time when consumers were sick of the traditional R&B approach and started to get into Beyonce/Kandi/Ashanti style of writing. It was simple, ghetto, and catchy. Throw in a strong dose of hip hop and you have what we see today. Are people ready for a shift back to a Lauryn/Stevie/babyface style of writing.

AIDS!

R&B is mainly about love, and singing about love will never go out of style.
I think the presentation, promotion and support for R&B needs to change.
I don't see why heavy hitters like Dr Dre, Diddy, Jay Z ect can't form some kind of platform for Urban artists, where they have control over their own material and management. Or gather urban radio station support or TV channels like BET, VH1 to join

GYNandTONIC

December 13, 2015, 09:44:45 AM #4 Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:45:14 AM by GYNandTONIC
Quote from: Boys Don't Cry on December 13, 2015, 09:15:13 AM
I don't see why heavy hitters like Dr Dre, Diddy, Jay Z ect can't form some kind of platform for Urban artists, where they have control over their own material and management. Or gather urban radio station support or TV channels like BET, VH1 to join

But how many R&B singers are actually singing about love? Chris, Trey, August, Usher, and ect. seem to have a stronger focus on sex or loving a chick because of how good she is at sex. I cant really remember the last time a guy has been lyrically vunerable. Usher "Confessions" I feel may have been the last.

RAY7

Quote from: GYNandTONIC on December 13, 2015, 08:51:57 AMI think the blue eyed soul artist and the alternative r&b black artist have one thing in common. Stronger, deeper, more poetic lyrics.

BULL FUCKIN SHIT
How is Justin Timberlake singing about wearing a fucking suit & tie
SOOO "deep & poetic"? Robin Thicke (who is dope) singing "Blurred Lines" is about "love and not sex"? :uhh:
Nothing is wrong with the art of R&B, it's the business that's not supporting them whether they sing about love, hate, sex or whatever else

RAY7

Quote from: GYNandTONIC on December 13, 2015, 09:44:45 AM
Quote from: Boys Don't Cry on December 13, 2015, 09:15:13 AM

But how many R&B singers are actually singing about love? Chris, Trey, August, Usher, and ect. seem to have a stronger focus on sex or loving a chick because of how good she is at sex. I cant really remember the last time a guy has been lyrically vunerable. Usher "Confessions" I feel may have been the last.
they all have plenty of love songs, but they keep them on their albums, because radio won't play them
Then you have Tank, Joe, Tyrese, Musiq, Anthony Hamilton, Jaheim, Avant etc that song a LOT of love songs and they get sent to Urban AC.
The only Black singer with a lil success who puts out love songs is John Legend, and even with him Sam Smith gets waaay more opportunities

GYNandTONIC

Quote from: inluvwitbran on December 13, 2015, 09:48:46 AM
Quote from: GYNandTONIC on December 13, 2015, 08:51:57 AMI think the blue eyed soul artist and the alternative r&b black artist have one thing in common. Stronger, deeper, more poetic lyrics.

BULL FUCKIN SHIT
SOOO "deep & poetic"? Robin Thicke (who is dope) singing "Blurred Lines" is about "love and not sex"? :uhh:
Nothing is wrong with the art of R&B, it's the business that's not supporting them whether they sing about love, hate, sex or whatever else

Well I do think suit & tie for a club/dance cut is still pretty different. The black male singers still are talking about sneakers and denim.

As for Blurred Lines, its about sex but its worded differently. Its not as blatant/graphic.

Bentley!

BULL FUCKIN SHIT
He's right stRay
just think about it

how many times is sTank gonna sing about the same shit the EXACT same way before it becomes ineffective :uhh:

the blue-eyed soul singers are going harder. you can't be mad and be a hater boy :kii:

whatever

It's not fair how flops can book award show performances but r&b can't

I think they need to do what billboard did in the 90s have r&b artists do snippets of their song back to back on award shows lmfao so sad

No iTunes banner no clear channel deals no award shows no idol, the voice etc performances no nothing

R&b females are only good for one single and it takes three to four tries for one to stick most of the time

They do need better music but it's politics if program directors want a specific sound then they have to cater to that

yummy

BULL FUCKIN SHIT

fff

they're always rushing to make these white artists seem superior to black artists and then have the nerve to wonder why black artists are "struggling".

fags, you're apart of the problem  :uhh:

yummy

Quote from: GYNandTONIC on December 13, 2015, 10:05:42 AM

BULL FUCKIN SHIT

Well I do think suit & tie for a club/dance cut is still pretty different. The black male singers still are talking about sneakers and denim.

As for Blurred Lines, its about sex but its worded differently. Its not as blatant/graphic.

"suit! armani! class!"

fff you guys are hilarious

Bentley!

stRay is just mad that sTank and Usher are flopping tho :dead:

and those are the two prime examples of a black artist becoming reductive :kii: :kii:

AIDS!

BAPHOMET.

Quote from: GYNandTONIC on December 13, 2015, 08:51:57 AM

There was a time when consumers were sick of the traditional R&B approach and started to get into Beyonce/Ashanti style of writing. It was simple, ghetto, and catchy. Throw in a strong dose of hip hop and you have what we see today. Are people ready for a shift back to a Lauryn/Stevie/babyface style of writing.

Tears.