Monica’s Best Songs (Oprah Magazine Article + List)

Started by reekz, August 28, 2020, 07:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reekz

QuoteMonica found the spotlight young, releasing her debut album Miss Thang at just 15 years old and suddenly becoming the face of a coming R&B revolution. Hits like "Don't Take It Personal (Just One of Dem Days)" and "Before You Walk Out of My Life" made her a household name, and 25 years later she remains an important figure. Her triple platinum debut Miss Thang ruled the charts in the mid-'90s, and she ascended to an even higher plane of fame when she and Brandy teamed up for "The Boy is Mine."

Unlike many of her peers who leaned towards a more easily digestible pop sound, the Atlanta native was always comfortable in the world of hip-hop, working with a variety of rappers and building rhythms around her melodies that felt more inspired by contemporary rap than anything else ("Like This and Like That," "Ain't Nobody"). That's continued as her career has progressed, though she's also grown into a compelling vocalist capable of holding her own on collaborations with Mary J. Blige, Tyrese, Keyshia Cole, and, of course, Brandy.

Over the last few decades, Monica has built a robust discography featuring tender love songs ("For You I Will"), steely-eyed breakup tracks ("It All Belongs to Me"), and feel-good jams, too ("Everytime Tha Beat Drop").

It's been five years since Monica's last album, Code Red, and though rumors of a project called Chapter 38 emerged last year, nothing ever came to fruition. Even so, her catalogue remains worth a deep dive, at once nostalgic and comforting while also showcasing some forward-thinking ideas that were ahead of the R&B curve.

Before of her hotly anticipated Verzuz battle with friend and collaborator Brandy on August 31, here are the 12 best Monica songs to listen to, including some of her most popular hits.

https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainment/g33810799/best-monica-songs/

Ulysses

Why Monica look like she is constipated in this photo? Oprah chose a side.

b7

Moon

reekz

Annie

So brandy got 20 good songs 
and Monica has a list of 12 including TBIM and It all belongs to me 
messy!

/.\

REALucid

Used to write our names in car fog

reekz

Quote from: Annie on August 28, 2020, 10:04:38 AM
So brandy got 20 good songs
and Monica has a list of 12 including TBIM and It all belongs to me
messy!

Yeah, no So Gone or anything from Still Standing. Trash list.

Justaway_

This pic HJBFNSDKJFSDNFKJSDFNSKJFBDSFKS

Ugly ass bitch with no hits :jackiessales: :jackiessales: 

REALucid

Used to write our names in car fog

reekz

His list for Bran sucked too. He needs to be fired.