Lee Daniels developing Fox girl-group drama, 'Star'.

Started by Sovereign., August 10, 2015, 03:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sovereign.

I hope this is cute.

QuoteFox is singing to the tune of Lee Daniels.

Following the success of the breakout hit ?Empire,? the mega-producer is developing another music-themed show, Variety has learned. This time, the drama will revolve around a girl band. The series, hailing from 20th Century Fox TV, is tentatively titled ?Star.?

Fox bought the project, which is in early development, with a put pilot commitment ? no surprise given Daniels? success in the genre at the network.

Daniels will serve as writer and exec producer on the Atlanta-set ?Star,? alongside Tom Donaughy. Casting will begin shortly. The lead characters will be the three women in the musical group.

On Thursday, Fox bosses Dana Walden and Gary Newman offered up details on the upcoming show, which explores the cutthroat music scene and asks the question, what do you do to rise to the top? Explaining that Daniels ?talks a lot about everything from ?Dreamgirls? to modern-day girl groups that are manufactured, they are put together, they don?t have an organic reason to be together,? Walden said. ?That setup lends to a great soap operatic storytelling machine.?

As for crossover episodes between ?Star? and ?Empire,? there is a strong possibility, though no plans are set. ?It is modern-day music music in Atlanta and ?Empire? is modern-day music business in New York,? Walden said. ?It?s not inconceivable that the two shows can cross.?

On ?Empire,? which returns for Season 2 on Sept. 23, Daniels exec produces with Danny Strong, Brian Grazer, Francie Calfo and showrunner Ilene Chaiken.

They do not need to do any cross over episodes in my opinion.  that will kill it before it takes off

BigDawg

That sounds kinda dope...I have a feeling it will give a Destiny's Child Tea.

Gilgamesh.

King

sounds foolish

i would prefer a reality tv show like making the band

BRockaBaby

i actually like this. as long as there's no links to empire. Bran needs to be one of the girl's moms who tries to make her go solo and is underhandedly and slowly tearing the group apart to make her daughter a solo act.

very lynn whitfield about it. :-)

Hugo

Quote from: King on August 10, 2015, 03:56:33 PM
sounds foolish

i would prefer a reality tv show like making the band

so fuckin epic  :stressed:

MAY

August 10, 2015, 04:03:24 PM #7 Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:03:32 PM by MΛΥDΛΥ
This sounds like it could be good

Bish

Musical groups aren't around like they used to be so this concept seems dated.

King

i need a black supernatural thriller on my fucking tv screen...sick of these stale ideas

Plank