Michael Jai White Shades Angela Bassett, Terrence Howard, etc

Started by Vonc2002, April 14, 2016, 10:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vonc2002

Michael Jai White is clearly a vet in Hollywood. With film and television hits like Blac Dynamite and For Better or Worse under his belt, he's earned his bones, but the actor made one thing clear during a recent interview: he does not want an Oscar.

Speaking with Bossip, he explained his stance by saying Black actors or actresses who have been either nominated or won an Oscar have not had a successful acting career since.

"Is there an Oscar nominee or Oscar winner who's Black whose career has ever been enhanced by the win of a nomination," he started. "Somebody please tell me, because I can't think of one person."

This is when the actor started naming names ? from Angela Bassett to Terrence Howard ? and things got a little shady.

"I'll tell you what, the majority who's gotten an Oscar, it's signified the end of their career," he said. "Angela Bassett got nominated for What's Love Got to Do With It. What has she done bigger than that since then? Cuba Gooding Jr., Oscar winner. What has he done since then? Lou Gossett Jr., what? Jennifer Hudson, what? Terrence Howard, what was the next movie that it launched him into? For the love of God, please do not nominate me for an Oscar!"

http://www.bet.com/news/celebrities/2016/04/13/michael-jai-white-hollywood-shade.html
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Opposites Attract.

He told not one lie but that says more about the system then the actual winning of the award. Hollywood is racist as fuck.

It's unconditional, these days you know....

Genesis

He has a point but he shouldnt have disrepected their careers like that. He's not an A list actor his damn self

Opposites Attract.

I'll add sexist as well because there are a lot of Female winners whom are white that has one and aren't really doing much either.

Zankou.

Quote from: Genesis on April 14, 2016, 10:47:01 AM
He has a point but he shouldnt have disrepected their careers like that. He's not an A list actor his damn self

Vonc2002

Ummmm EVERY person he named has a better career than he's EVER had. Terrence Howard is on one of the top shows on tv
Angela was just emmy nominated for her work on AHS, plus she's had plenty of roles since WLGTDWI
Cuba is DEFINITELY about to be nominated for his work on this OJ show that was a fckn HIT!
He's on a fckn tyler perry show on OWN. Hes fckn out of it

Cowboy Nine

Quote from: Thi?rry. on April 14, 2016, 10:44:46 AM
He told not one lie but that says more about the system then the actual winning of the award. Hollywood is racist as fuck.

Vonc2002

Like he is some sought-after actor with tons of opportunities on the table, plea. U have NOTHING to hold on to

Scott.

No matter where his career stands right now, he didn't lie

Vonc2002

cant think of anyone........woo! Gimme a second
Boy
Queen Latifah, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Don Cheadle, Chiwetel, Lupita, Gabby, etc.
All Oscar winners and nominees and flourishing fckn careers, foh

Opposites Attract.

Quote from: Scott. on April 14, 2016, 10:53:52 AM

Not really understanding the disagreement here. He didn't shade them, he simply told the God honest truth.

Cowboy Nine

n

I wouldn't say Chiwetel and Lupita have flourishing careers

Vonc2002

But he did lie.  Are they not having successful careers because every movie after that one recognized wasn't nominated.  I can name COUNTLESS black actors who have been nominated for an oscar and are doing well and CERTAINLY much better than him

Scott.

Quote from: Vonc2002 on April 14, 2016, 10:56:21 AM
But he did lie.  Are they not having successful careers because every movie after that one recognized wasn't nominated.  I can name COUNTLESS black actors who have been nominated for an oscar and are doing well and CERTAINLY much better than him

Nah he really didn't