Tina Turner Sells Music Rights To BMG In Blockbuster Deal

Started by Freemala Harris, October 05, 2021, 08:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freemala Harris

BMG has acquired what it calls "an extensive portfolio of rights" related to the music and image of Tina Turner.

The deal sees BMG acquire the artist's share of her recordings, plus her music publishing writer's share and neighboring rights, plus her name, image, and likeness.

Warner Music remains the record company for Turner's catalog.

Interestingly, BMG has made the Tina Turner deal solo; the acquisition does not involve the joint fund that BMG launched with investment giant KKR earlier this year.

BMG isn't putting a price on the deal, but has confirmed it's the biggest single-artist rights acquisition that the Bertelsmann-owned company has made since it formed in 2008.

That means the Tina Turner deal has closed for a bigger price-tag than that which saw BMG acquire Mick Fleetwood's career-spanning recorded music income stream in January.

Indeed, it seems a safe bet to MBW – considering the amount of fanfare swirling around the Tina Turner deal at BMG – that this latest acquisition is in the $50 million-and-above category.

The transaction covers Tina Turner´s solo works comprising ten studio albums, two live albums, two soundtracks, and five compilations, which together have sold over 100 million records.

Tina Turner said: "Like any artist, the protection of my life's work, my musical inheritance, is something personal. I am confident that with BMG and Warner Music my work is in professional and reliable hands."

BMG CEO Hartwig Masuch said: "Tina Turner's musical journey has inspired hundreds of millions of people around the world and continues to reach new audiences.

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/bmg-buys-bundle-of-tina-turner-rights-in-musics-latest-big-money-deal/

demitri.petty

united nations

QuoteBMG isn't putting a price on the deal, but has confirmed it's the biggest single-artist rights acquisition that the Bertelsmann-owned company has made since it formed in 2008.

the price musta been got damn right
Grandma, grandpa, and their grandmas ❤️

rosone1

Quote from: demitri.petty on October 05, 2021, 08:18:34 PM
Is she dying?
She is in poor health and 81

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Jon

bby ddy

God bless her. She's in her 80's and has experienced many health challenges.

Amazing

At 81 she is doing the right thing putting her financial affairs in order.

She is probably going to set up a trust with all the money so her wealth can be enjoyed by her family for generations to come.

Gilgamesh.

I really hate when Black musicans do this but get money IG..

Cowgirl

I feel like a lot of artists have been doing this because they'll make more money this way than any other way in these days of music.

Annie

Yes there have been very big sales these last couple of years. It's good to think about your legacy and think about what an estate should look like. This way family and friends won't have to handle all of the business when the artist passes away. Also the streams are paying a lot less than the radio plays, so if you also stop touring it makes sense to sell and get that money. 

/.\