How UPN Ushered in a Golden Decade of Black TV — and Then Was Merged Out of Exis

Started by Lazarus, February 16, 2022, 12:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dangerous

Wanna put my middle finger up to them but they legit gave us some GEMS.

I was just watchin the Parkers this morning while I was eating breakfast

But That whole  influx woulda been pointless almost if Netflix didn't make moves to capture it all .

Those UPN teas are literally the only thing keeping my Netflix account active - considering they decided to pull POSE. Itd be in their best interest to keep those shows on deck

Kalifornia.

The Parkers will forever be >>>>>>>>>

That's my Saturday morning mess.

Half & Half too. UPN gave us some iconic shows.

Young

Gilgamesh.

When I used to visit the States as a kid I would live for these shows. Y'all don't know how good you had it.

Demetri Thorpe🤴🏾

The Hollywood reporter better celebrate black history month! This was an amazing read. I appreciate this story piece, and will definitely be spreading this around. We were in a black renaissance during the 90s, not just with those shows. But with our movies, our music, and our fashion. Very special time for the culture! 

On paper, the merger makes sense to me. I ultimately knew it wouldn't last for long though, and the white shows would eventually dominate the network. VH1 swooped in at the right time with its black reality shows. 

So many people got to eat good off the solid foundation of Brandy/Moesha success.
French Exit ♻️

It's not a broken heart if I don't break it
"Goodbye" doesn't hurt if I don't say it
And I really hope you'll understand it
Only way to go is a French exit

People Tune In To see Stars.I'm a Star.I steal the Show- Demetrius

Vonc2002

UPN was iconic.  I've been watching the parkers in netflix for the past few days and  this was really a TIME in television 
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Rxxf

Quote from: Demetri Merrick Rocka 🤴🏾 on February 16, 2022, 03:11:51 PM
The Hollywood reporter better celebrate black history month! This was an amazing read. I appreciate this story piece, and will definitely be spreading this around. We were in a black renaissance during the 90s, not just with those shows. But with our movies, our music, and our fashion. Very special time for the culture!

On paper, the merger makes sense to me. I ultimately knew it wouldn't last for long though, and the white shows would eventually dominate the network. VH1 swooped in at the right time with its black reality shows.

So many people got to eat good off the solid foundation of Brandy/Moesha success.
BRANDY

Rxxf

Quote from: Gilgamesh. on February 16, 2022, 01:32:15 PM
When I use to visit the States as kid I would live for these shows. Y'all don't know how good you had it.

Wow. That's real.
Thank you for this perspective.
BRANDY

Rxxf

BRANDY

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Gilgamesh.

Quote from: Vonc2002 on February 16, 2022, 03:25:03 PM
Yall didnt have black sitcoms in the uk?

We had one, "Desmond's" and that was the early 90s. Typically we get one iconic Black series every 3-5 years in the UK.

Why do you think Idris and Daniel (and now Cynthia) have all jumped ship?  :dead:

Cowgirl