Okay Ms. Angelou, this was od for no reason

Started by Cowgirl, January 11, 2023, 09:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aalonso.

Quote from: Marilyn on January 12, 2023, 02:56:22 PMI disagree. In general I wouldn't call a senior citizen from around the way by their first name, much less someone as revered her. Even with older co-workers it's Ms. Glenda and Ms. Beverly. It ain't natural for me to just say their first name.

thats true

Cowgirl

Quote from: Marilyn on January 12, 2023, 02:56:22 PMI disagree. In general I wouldn't call a senior citizen from around the way by their first name, much less someone as revered her. Even with older co-workers it's Ms. Glenda and Ms. Beverly. It ain't natural for me to just say their first name.
Yes but she wasn't approaching her on a personal level/normal setting. Although it's her real name, it's also a stage name once she became famous. How would an average person know how you'd like to be addressed if you're booked as "Maya Angelou?"

united nations

January 12, 2023, 07:09:16 PM #17 Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 07:10:36 PM by Child of Israel
i agree with GODilyn

i def wouldn't have called her maya.

but that's not to say that the whole idea of disrespect being tied to saying someone's first name isn't archaic and something that needs to be reviewed and reworked. intent should always be considered before you pop off at someone lssfsfsf clearly they're not trying to disrespect you and may not be aware of these unwritten rules that have been enforced for a few generations.

i have a feeling that the newer generations of older people will be letting it go a bit.

but my grandmother def woulda pulled me back down in my seat by the ear if she were sitting next to me in that audience and i said "Hey Maya !!! Gotta question for ya lol"
Grandma, grandpa, and their grandmas ❤️

Cowgirl

January 12, 2023, 07:16:01 PM #18 Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 07:16:59 PM by Big Barbie
I'm your mother. Your father. Your teacher. Your mechanic.

Maya gor, just say "it's Ms. Angelou" and keep it pushing. She wanted to sit there and compose a poem on the spot just to read that girl.

Vonc2002

I agree that I would usually address an older person as Mr or Ms right away but the thing is not everyone does and your name IS Maya. You want people to just automatically adhere to that old antiquated, southern shit well just brand yourself as Ms angelou and that way there's no confusion about how u wanna be addressed.  It's old bitches at my job and I wish I would refer to those hoes as ms anything.  Gloria if u don't go sit yo ass down somewhere
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Nine

That was unnecessary.

girl, damn she gets it ok.

stupid old bitch.

Ma Lo

Jon

The cadence and way she spoke always annoyed me  :-(

Gilgamesh.

Quote from: L0NZ. on January 12, 2023, 12:51:03 PM
Quote from: Palladium on January 12, 2023, 08:42:56 AMsssdddd

Tell ha Queen!

I didn't see the harm. She could have kept it cute but she obviously wanted to use the moment as a teachable one

Nah she got too feisty. All that "a young woman like YEW, has no LICENSE" girl shut up
Aafghhjhhhh

DopeSoul.

ReVon

THE GIRL COULD HAVE AT LEAST SAID, "MS. MAYA". I DON'T SEE THE PROBLEM WITH WHAT WAS SAID BY THE ELDER.
AND I THINK MAYA ANGELOU WENT IN ON HER EASY. THE GIRL ACTUALLY LEARNED SOMETHING.

united nations

Quote from: Say-Something-ReVon on January 13, 2023, 02:52:54 AMTHE GIRL COULD HAVE AT LEAST SAID, "MS. MAYA". I DON'T SEE THE PROBLEM WITH WHAT WAS SAID BY THE ELDER.
AND I THINK MAYA ANGELOU WENT IN ON HER EASY. THE GIRL ACTUALLY LEARNED SOMETHING.
snsndnds

i think she  went easy on her too and it was def a teachable moment

yeah she described herself as her mother, auntie, etc. which could be seen as extra
but its actually true

i always say that u can see ur family in black women that u don't even know.

Grandma, grandpa, and their grandmas ❤️

JCJ 🪐

Not y'all dragging Maya Angelou. Dnfnfnfn this place is hell
From 2024's Album of the Year, "Deeper Well"