(Rumor) Samsung in talks to buy Tidal, Google & Spotify also looking to purch'!

Started by Boomz, February 26, 2016, 04:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomz

QuoteLooks like Tidal?s ship may be coming in.

Phone giant Samsung, which enjoys a long relationship with Jay Z?s music streaming service, has restarted talks to acquire the 16-month-old company, several sources told The Post.

Samsung, which is expected to have a big presence at this year?s Oscars, has long been rumored as an interested buyer ? and has held on-and-off talks with Tidal.

Google and Spotify have also been eyeing Tidal, sources said. Both believe Tidal, although struggling, can bolster their own digital music services.

Talks the companies are having with Tidal now appear to be aimed at smaller partnerships, sources said.

Spotify has discussed creating an initiative that could produce a Tidal ?powered by Spotify? partnership rather than an acquisition.

Tidal has succeeded in attracting upwards of 1 million subscribers but has faced several stumbles in its short life. The firm in December hired its third boss, naming former SoundCloud executive Jeff Toig as chief executive.

Also, Tidal accidentally released Rihanna?s album ?Anti? early while Kanye West?s latest album, ?The Life of Pablo,? suffered from huge piracy issues after it was released widely even to nonsubscribers of Tidal.

The piracy cost West at least $10 million in lost sales in the first days of its release, The Post reported.

The dysfunction, though common to many tech startups, has been eating into Tidal?s financing.

It is now valued at about $100 million, according to sources in the streaming space.

Tidal?s predecessor, Aspiro, was acquired for $56 million early last year.

Both Samsung and Tidal declined comment.

Additional reporting by James Covert

Jay bought it for 56 million, if he can sell it for almost double that, it's a win. He can get away from this without losing anything and say he gave it a try...  :feelinmyself:

RekeRig

BAPHOMET.

Hope to god he sells it.
Its actually an amazing service with good customer service. However its BADLY tainted.

Sell it and double Beyonc?'s coin Hov  :letsmessfag:

SUPREME

Given tidals reputation for fcking lying

I don't believe this

Especially since Google has a music service

∧ ∨ ∩ ∪

They should have a creative meeting and try to revamp the service. No reason why they shouldn't be able to do that. They should also attempt to find their market purpose. Jay has Made In America Festival. Why can't Tidal be the name of that? I mean it's so much they could do.

Boomz

Quote from: GRAND SUPREME DIETRICH III on February 26, 2016, 08:24:31 PM

I don't believe this

nnn
What's hard to believe?

Samsung has a long business relationship with Jay and probably want the service exclusive to their phones.

And Google just wants the subscribers Tidal DOES has. Same for Spotify. 1 million subscribers is nothing to sneeze at.

SUPREME

Quote from: Boomer on February 26, 2016, 08:47:49 PM

I don't believe this

nnn
What's hard to believe?

Samsung has a long business relationship with Jay and probably want the service exclusive to their phones.

And Google just wants the subscribers Tidal DOES has. Same for Spotify. 1 million subscribers is nothing to sneeze at.
Spotify has over 20 million

So I dunno

Dont see these big companies TUSSLING around for a million

+ I just dont trust tidal

:udontlookok:

Cowboy Nine

I don't believe this

adsdaskmds'ad

Yeah Grace leaked this I'm sure