just ordered my AncestryDNA kit!

Started by tigernathan, February 29, 2016, 04:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RekeRig

Quote from: Herbie on March 12, 2016, 05:53:44 PM
Quote from: IMAAN on March 12, 2016, 05:43:54 PM
One of her parents is Bantu because "Southeastern Bantu" is used to identify South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya, etc. not Ethiopia, Eritrea or Somalia.
AncestryDNA does not have a category that says "Ethiopia" or "East Africa". That's what I'm trying to get to you lil sis. :plzstop: So when you get your results, being that you have roots in East Africa, SE Bantu will definitely pop up. This does NOT mean you are Bantu.

ack!  wtf man

very interesting. ordering mine tonight

SouravMay

North East Africans are like Latinos, not a real race. They are a mix.

Well in a way they are, because their tea isn't as synthetically made up with slavery and conquistadors and mess. But for the test, they are just a mix.
B7

tigernathan

So I guess they didn't get samples for Ethiopian, Sudan and the other northern regions :uhh: Wtf. This is weird because the SE Bantus didn't even migrate to Ethiopia or Somalia.

Herb.

March 12, 2016, 06:21:39 PM #154 Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:22:15 PM by Herbie
Quote from: IMAAN on March 12, 2016, 06:15:03 PM
So I guess they didn't get samples for Ethiopian, Sudan and the other northern regions :uhh: Wtf. This is weird because the SE Bantus didn't even migrate to Ethiopia or Somalia.
Don't think too much about it, just take your SE Bantu amount for those areas. It definitely detects heritage from that area, it popped up for that Somalian.  :dead: She didn't come back with Ghana as her top result. :dead:

Remember, this is just the start, there's always GEDMatch, which breaks it down even more. And it's free of charge. Breathe lil sis.

Herb.

Quote from: RekeRocka on March 12, 2016, 05:59:09 PM
Quote from: Young on March 12, 2016, 02:56:53 PM
Quote from: Herbie on March 12, 2016, 02:16:40 PM
did u order yet malc :omgwatshappening:

ancestryDNA needs to cut me a damn check . :plzstop:

!!!!!

:stressed:

My man just sent his kit mess off; and it was because of me; which was because of YOU ❤️❤️❤️❤️
:gorlonfire:

who the fuck else!? lemme know
:letsmessfag: :receipts: :wub:

tigernathan

Quote from: Herbie on March 12, 2016, 06:21:39 PM
Quote from: IMAAN on March 12, 2016, 06:15:03 PM
Don't think too much about it, just take your SE Bantu amount for those areas. It definitely detects heritage from that area, it popped up for that Somalian.  :dead: She didn't come back with Ghana as her top result. :dead:

Remember, this is just the start, there's always GEDMatch, which breaks it down even more. And it's free of charge. Breathe lil sis.

But that Somali woman has 50% :plzstop: that is a lot for a Somali. So my guess is her dad or mom is either Kenyan or has Kenyan blood.

Herb.

March 12, 2016, 06:50:52 PM #157 Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:56:09 PM by Herbie
if the Somalian girl identifies as Somalian, and both her parents do the same I suppose (she didn't say that one of her parents are from another country or are of a different race...not that I can remember), then it makes sense that SE Bantu popped up in such a large amount.  She shouldn't be surprised if she knows how to interpret the results. I don't sense that she was. If anything she was surprised with the West Asia and North African results.

People within the SE Bantu region are admixed with Middle East, North Africa, etc. it's a gumbo of mess. Categories like GHana, Nigeria, etc. didn't return those mixes within the samples. Generally those areas returned mixes from neighboring west african countries.

So that shows you how much of a wild card SE Bantu is. Don't take its label literally.

The same with "Native American". It may say NA, but most of the samples that AncestryDNA and all other DNA companies have are from SOUTH American countries. Which is why I say these tests are most useful in conjunction with traditional genealogical research, if possible.

SouravMay

March 12, 2016, 07:32:47 PM #158 Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:41:28 PM by Rajesha
Hamites are a mixed race. Levantine and Bantu.
B7

Sinpool

I love seeing people get into this.

Makes me feel like I wasn't as nuts as I thought when I was obsessed with it.

tigernathan

Quote from: Rajesha on March 12, 2016, 07:32:47 PM

lay off the drugs, hun.

SouravMay

Quote from: IMAAN on March 12, 2016, 08:24:46 PM
Quote from: Rajesha on March 12, 2016, 07:32:47 PM

lay off the drugs, hun.

ur test will not say "Ethiopia" luv.
B7

tigernathan

I'm aware and wasn't expecting that :uhh:

but my GEDmatch test will  :supluv:

Young

This is beautiful

Get in formation ladies

tigernathan

Afro, sorr' bby. You're right.

the Somalian girl's GED match says 56% E African.