Jay Z and Will Smith Are Producing an Emmett Till Miniseries

Started by .betterwiseup, July 25, 2015, 03:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.betterwiseup

The show will run on HBO

Jay Z and Will Smith are reuniting as producers, and this time, their subject matter promises to be much heavier than their 2014 remake of Annie. The pair has announced they are working with Aaron Kaplan on a miniseries for HBO about Emmett Till, Deadline reports.

Emmett Till, a black 14-year-old, was brutally murdered in Mississippi in 1955 as retaliation for allegedly flirting with a white woman. The woman?s husband and his half-brother were acquitted of the crime, but later confessed their guilt?though double jeopardy meant they could not be tried again. Till?s gruesome death became a powerful symbol and rallying cry for the civil rights movement.

Several other Emmett Till projects are also currently in the works: one backed by Roger Ebert?s widow, Chaz, and one adapted from the play The Face of Emmett Till.

No writer is attached to the HBO project yet, but the series is expected to run about six hours.

http://time.com/3972215/emmett-till-miniseries/

.betterwiseup

If you're not familar with the Emmett Till murder watch the documentary.  :'(

Herb.

Herb.

So glad his memory lives on. So sad. He was just being a silly kid.
Could have happened to anyone.

Even in these days, my grandmother always warned me of how "different" the south is from where I grew up in the big city of New York.
But you just don't believe things could possibly be that bad.

No different for him, he was just a kid from Chicago who was too far separated from the racial regression of the south to even understand its seriousness.
Only to visit there, play a joke and lose his life. It's truly a very sad story. Even sadder that his uncle couldn't even save him.

And more upsetting when you saw those white fuckers pile up in the courtroom as if they didn't know what the verdict would be.
Jurors go in for 2 minutes, loudly laugh and giggle unapologetically, then return with their "verdict".
I was infuriated when I saw this. I wanted to jump through the screen and kill one of them. :ohwow: You could feel this overwhelming sense of powerlessness that made me so angry.

AIDS!

Could have been anyone of us
The things white people have done to us over the centuries....

Herb.

Quote from: Dorobucci on July 25, 2015, 05:00:34 PM
Could have been anyone of us
The things white people have done to us over the centuries....
:stressed:

throwintheTAL

Quote from: .betterwiseup on July 25, 2015, 03:15:23 PM

we watched this in school once. :'(

Sinpool

Are the adults who accused/found him guilty or were just even in that court room still alive?

Like I really just want to hear what white people who grew up in those times have to say for themselves

RekeRig

Quote from: Herb. on July 25, 2015, 03:16:12 PM
Quote from: .betterwiseup on July 25, 2015, 03:15:23 PM

:stressed:
omg

for his mother to have to see that. this the saddest thing ever

and she's able to describe it ...   ugh

RekeRig

no ones mother deserves that kind of pain. Jesus christ