So, I have my mom's AncestryDNA results

Started by Glenda, April 08, 2016, 09:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenda

Quote from: NATHAN. on April 08, 2016, 09:18:36 PM
Wow

!!!!!! I've kinda been in shock all day about the Europe part. She has green eyes, so we weren't surprised, but still.

That's a big chunk of.... dna.  :dead: :dead: :dead:

FINE.

Quote from: Glenda on April 08, 2016, 09:19:55 PM
Wow

!!!!!! I've kinda been in shock all day about the Europe part. She has green eyes, so we weren't surprised, but still.

r u happy

tigernathan

Quote from: NATHAN. on April 08, 2016, 09:30:04 PM
Wow

r u happy

NCVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVv

Glenda

Wow

r u happy

idk how to feel tbh

:holdupguys:

:melmel:

Glenda

Quote from: IMAAN on April 08, 2016, 09:34:29 PM
Wow

r u happy

NCVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVv

n

Young

tigernathan

So basically your great-great grandma or grandpa was a white man

Glenda

Quote from: IMAAN on April 08, 2016, 09:53:01 PM
So basically your great-great grandma or grandpa was a white man

Probably.

Glenda

Quote from: Young on April 08, 2016, 09:50:00 PM
oh wow..your MOM is kinda MIXED

n

I mean we're all mixed to some degree but yeah.

Herb.

April 08, 2016, 11:15:02 PM #11 Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:16:04 PM by Herbie
yasss for the GHana and SE GODtu. :stressed: tell her I said welcome to the club :wellheythere:

38% European is a lot, do you know who the white ancestor is?

It could either mean that
1) she has a really close white ancestor (close enough to know their names, etc) or
2) she just has a lot of white ancestors far far back that just combined to make that percentage.

Being that it's Great Britain as the top result, I'm assuming its the 2nd. They dominated the slave trade so Great Britain is a very popular top European result for African Americans.
And her eyes could be a recessive gene that popped up.

Glenda

April 08, 2016, 11:20:15 PM #12 Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:20:49 PM by Glenda
Quote from: Herbie on April 08, 2016, 11:15:02 PM
yasss for the GHana and SE GODtu. :stressed: tell her I said welcome to the club :wellheythere:

1) she has a really close white ancestor (close enough to know their names, etc) or
2) she just has a lot of white ancestors far far back that just combined to make that percentage.

Being that it's Great Britain as the top result, I'm assuming its the 2nd. They dominated the slave trade so Great Britain is a very popular top European result for African Americans.

Yaaaaasss Ghana and SE Bantu!!

We have no idea who the white ancestor is, but I agree with you that I think it's the 2nd. There's a lot of admixture within pretty much the entirety of my mom's side of the family. For example, my aunt (her sister) is extremely light and my younger brother is my mom's same complexion and he has blue-grayish eyes.

Herb.

Quote from: Glenda on April 08, 2016, 11:20:15 PM

We have no idea who the white ancestor is, but I agree with you that I think it's the 2nd. There's a lot of admixture within pretty much the entirety of my mom's side of the family. For example, my aunt (her sister) is extremely light and my younger brother is my mom's same complexion and he has blue-grayish eyes.
Well it's good you know the roots of it all now!
I mean as you already know it's not exactly something to hoop and hooray about when it comes to our European "heritage", but at least you have answers and explanation.

It's all about phenotypes and genotypes . You carry around a lot of the same DNA as mom but that doesn't mean you inherit all of her physical characteristics on the surface. It's the same reason many siblings who share the same parents can look completely different from one another.

DNA is a kii cackle. lol Did you get your test done?

Glenda

Quote from: Herbie on April 08, 2016, 11:25:07 PM
Quote from: Glenda on April 08, 2016, 11:20:15 PM

Well it's good you know the roots of it all now!
I mean as you already know it's not exactly something to hoop and hooray about when it comes to our European "heritage", but at least you have answers and explanation.

It's all about phenotypes and genotypes . You carry around a lot of the same DNA as mom but that doesn't mean you inherit all of her physical characteristics on the surface. It's the same reason many siblings who share the same parents can look completely different from one another.

DNA is a kii cackle. lol Did you get your test done?

DNA truly is a cackle.

I did get mine done! I'm waiting on my results now. I just went into the "Lab Processing" part on the 5th.

I wish my dad were alive to do his.

:stressed: