How did you grow up.. Poor, middle class, wealthy or rich? And did it affect

Started by GLOCK, July 01, 2016, 02:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouravMay

I never really sit back and think about it, but we literally came from nothing.
Omg. I only realize in retrospect, I was always so oblivious and naive and still full of myself. The confidence my parents instilled in me>>>>>> any coin.

But am ghetto at heart, all my neighbors live off social money and are really hood.
:stressed:
B7

LOONA.

Quote from: Zinc on July 01, 2016, 04:40:18 PM
Did any of y'all participate in Upward Bound program or have that program in y'all state ??

What is that? First time ever hearing of it.

Lazarus

Quote from: Drais. on July 01, 2016, 05:26:54 PM
Did any of y'all participate in Upward Bound program or have that program in y'all state ??

A program that was designed for high school students in the 9th grade.

Upward Bound provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves: high school students from low-income families; and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.

Upward Bound is a nationwide, federally funded educational program, authorized by the Higher Education Act of 1965, for high school students. The Upward Bound Program at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County was initiated in 1989. The Program?s design promotes the development and enhancement of students? basic skills, academic and cultural enrichment, and the motivation necessary to matriculate at and graduate from college. To insure students? complete development, participation in  program activities is mandatory.

Upward Bound serves students who have demonstrated academic potential and who meet the income and first generation to obtain a four year college degree criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education. The Program provides students and their parents with an opportunity to invest in students? futures and thus realize their potential and goals.

This is the gist of it. In the summer you lived on campus of the university you were assigned to for like 8 weeks but I believe you could go home in the weekends. Great experience. Freedom from parents. Woo!

LOONA.

What is private a school like?

I attended public schools and I loved it. I was exposed to so many different types of people.

And when I started taking AP classes that's when the mess really got good. It was always the same 10-15 in each class.  :plzstop:

LOONA.

Quote from: Zinc on July 01, 2016, 05:38:00 PM

Upward Bound provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves: high school students from low-income families; and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.

Upward Bound is a nationwide, federally funded educational program, authorized by the Higher Education Act of 1965, for high school students. The Upward Bound Program at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County was initiated in 1989. The Program?s design promotes the development and enhancement of students? basic skills, academic and cultural enrichment, and the motivation necessary to matriculate at and graduate from college. To insure students? complete development, participation in  program activities is mandatory.

Upward Bound serves students who have demonstrated academic potential and who meet the income and first generation to obtain a four year college degree criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education. The Program provides students and their parents with an opportunity to invest in students? futures and thus realize their potential and goals.

This is the gist of it. In the summer you lived on campus of the university you were assigned to for like 8 weeks but I believe you could go home in the weekends. Great experience. Freedom from parents. Woo!

Omg not living on campus during high school. This sounds like a slay. We did have a program at high school that let us take general college courses in advance but it wasn't no mess like this. 

:gorlonfire:

SouravMay

Quote from: Drais. on July 01, 2016, 05:38:25 PM

I attended public schools and I loved it. I was exposed to so many different types of people.

And when I started taking AP classes that's when the mess really got good. It was always the same 10-15 in each class.  :plzstop:

Private schools have such a bad rep where I am from, it means you are not smart enough to get by and need your parents to pay you through, it is funny how the impressions seems to be different stateside.
B7

Lazarus

Quote from: Drais. on July 01, 2016, 05:38:25 PM

Nah it wasn't a private school. It was a program designed to prepare high school students for college and let them experience living on campus while doing academic activities.

LOONA.

I used to think private schools were the tea for the elite but when I found out my friend Dominic  attended from high school up i had to side eye a bit.

This boy has a criminal record. 

:omgwatshappening:

Lazarus

Quote from: Drais. on July 01, 2016, 05:40:02 PM
Quote from: Zinc on July 01, 2016, 05:38:00 PM

Omg not living on campus during high school. This sounds like a slay. We did have a program at high school that let us take general college courses in advance but it wasn't no mess like this. 

:gorlonfire:

Yeah it was a slay unfortunately my dumbass didn't participate and was too lazy to attend the meetings every Saturday which was require to live on campus during the summer so I missed out. My friend told me about her experience about how they took trips, got gift cards to retails stores like Old Navy, etc, living on campus. Ugh I missed out big time. And it was all 9th graders from different schools if you met the requirements tho.

yummy

I grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood in the Bronx (thanks to gentrification, it's damn near the suburbs now). Both of my parents are immigrants who came to the states looking for a better opportunity. I saw my mother work a part-time job, earn a college degree and raise a family, so that definitely fuels me to push myself as far as I can. Growing up I saw money/wealth as the end goal, we're all pretty much programmed to believe that the "american dream" is to end up rich and/or working a "good job" in corporate america (which is what I'm doing now :bvy: ).

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I want for a career or what my ultimate goal is and it's frustrating.

yummy

Quote from: my dvy macon georgia ... on July 01, 2016, 03:48:49 PM
Quote from: Scott. on July 01, 2016, 03:40:24 PM
I always wondered how things would've been if I went to private school, verses the public schools I went to. And plus I come from a small town, where ALL of us in the city went to the same elementary, middle and high schools. Each and EVERY ONE of us.

And I come from a family of educators (on my mom's side). Most of my aunts and cousins are all teachers.
I think it depends on where you grew up at. I was raised in NYC, I first went to public school in 7th grade and it was a HUGE difference. I had to adjust to diversity, people (even teachers) cursing, and openly saying that they don't care if we learned or not cuz they're getting paid regardless. :uhh: :uhh:

It was crazy.

It made sense that my grandmother sheltered us from that environment as long as she could. But when my big sis went to college, she couldn't afford to support her and keep us in private school at the same time.

So she put us in the best public schools in NYC. Literally, I went to the best public schools FAR away from my neighborhood. I used to wonder why she went out of her way to put us in schools so far from where we lived, the travel was horrendous.  :plzstop:

And it STILL was a mess in comparison.  :plzstop: :plzstop:

But that's NYC. I think if you live in a different city/state ,it could be different. For instance, there are many public schools in Long Island that are just as good as the private schools. Not every child needs to head to a private mess.

vvvkldkfllddmdmf

I used to hear that so much from teachers in middle school and high school

"I get paid either way  :letsmessfag: y'all wanna end up in summer school or getting left back, than oh well lmao!"

but it's understandable to lash out when you're trying to teach a classroom with over twenty students and half of them wanna talk and interrupt the learning environment. I have the utmost respect for teachers who work in shitty public schools because that requires a world of dedication and patience.

Rxxf

Quote from: ANIMMAI on July 01, 2016, 05:51:41 PM
I grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood in the Bronx (thanks to gentrification, it's damn near the suburbs now). Both of my parents are immigrants who came to the states looking for a better opportunity. I saw my mother work a part-time job, earn a college degree and raise a family, so that definitely fuels me to push myself as far as I can. Growing up I saw money/wealth as the end goal, we're all pretty much programmed to believe that the "american dream" is to end up rich and/or working a "good job" in corporate america (which is what I'm doing now :bvy: ).

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I want for a career or what my ultimate goal is and it's frustrating.

If you need any advice, suggestions, let me know.

And being "rich" is not the end goal, by the way.
BRANDY

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

yummy

Quote from: my dvy macon georgia ... on July 01, 2016, 06:02:56 PM
Quote from: ANIMMAI on July 01, 2016, 05:51:41 PM

i knew u were from the Bronx

i dunno, it was just a certain STINCH from ur posts :ohwow:

:cheerup: :whatgunofficer:

Rxxf

BRANDY