Jennifer Lopez to Play Drug Lord Griselda Blanco in HBO TV Movie

Started by Lazarus, August 10, 2016, 08:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

Jennifer Lopez is headed for HBO.

The star of NBC's Shades of Blue is set to topline and executive produce an untitled TV movie revolving around late drug lord Griselda Blanco, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The film, which is in development, focuses on the rise and fall of Blanco, the notorious drug lord known as "The Cocaine Godmother" who revolutionized the U.S. drug trade during the 1970s and 1980s and became the most powerful female cartel member of all time.

Lopez will star and executive produce via her Nuyorican Productions banner alongside company topper Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas and the singer-actress's manager, Benny Medina, as well as LBI Entertainment's Julie and Rick Yorn. Alex Pettyfer will co-executive produce alongside Nuyorican's Priscilla Porianda and LBI's Patrick Walmsley; the actor is attached only as a co-executive producer and it's unclear if Pettyfer will have any onscreen role in the movie.

"I?ve been fascinated by the life of this corrupt and complicated woman for many years,? Lopez said Wednesday in a statement. ?The idea of teaming with HBO felt like the perfect fit for finally bringing Griselda?s story to life.?

For Lopez, the HBO movie comes as production continues on season two of NBC drama Shades of Blue, which she also exec produces. The singer-actress has been making a major TV push of late, with Nuyorican also behind Freeform's critical darling The Fosters.

For HBO, the movie marks the premium cable network's latest star-driven take following its Emmy-nominated Anita Hill entry Confirmation with Kerry Washington and Bryan Cranston's All the Way.

The HBO project also arrives as USA Network has found success with its female-driven drug kingpin drama Queen of the South, which was partially inspired by Blanco's story.

Blanco was killed in Colombia in September 2012. She was the subject of documentary feature Cocaine Cowboys and allegedly gunned down her first two husbands. She is said to have trafficked 300 kilos of cocaine per month during the height of her operation and became a multimillionaire several times over during her 40s and is said to have ordered dozens of murders in order to keep her place at the top of Miami's gangster heap. Blanco was arrested in 1985 and sentenced to almost two decades in a U.S. prison before being deported and, by reported accounts, going on to live a quiet life in Colombia's second-largest city, Medell?n, which has its own reputation as a favorite home-base for drug kingpins and cartels.

Lopez is repped by CAA, Medina and Hirsch Wallerstein.

Vonc2002

wow, Jlo has been ACTING this yr :ohwow:
Shades of Blue is one of the best shows on TV btw, renewed self
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

FlowerBomb

August 10, 2016, 08:33:02 PM #4 Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:33:36 PM by Capricorn King
Quote from: Vonc2002 on August 10, 2016, 08:32:22 PM
it comes on over here as well
I like it a lot

Vonc2002

Quote from: Capricorn King on August 10, 2016, 08:33:02 PM
Quote from: Vonc2002 on August 10, 2016, 08:32:22 PM
it comes on over here as well
I like it a lot
this international queen :ohwow:
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Real

I watched Griselda's story on Netflix last year. She was gangsta AF! Grimey ass bitch. I can't see J-Lo pulling that off.

Wonder who will play the young black boyfriend

Vonc2002

J LO has some amazing shows on TV. The fosters is one of the best shows on tv and its pretty damn edgy for a family show

Vonc2002

.betterwiseup

Quote from: Don Draper on August 10, 2016, 08:53:05 PM
I watched Griselda's story on Netflix last year. She was gangsta AF! Grimey ass bitch. I can't see J-Lo pulling that off.

!!!!!
This will be terrible.  :plzstop:

Lazarus

Quote from: .betterwiseup on August 10, 2016, 09:11:39 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on August 10, 2016, 08:53:05 PM

!!!!!
This will be terrible.  :plzstop:

:dead: :dead: :dead:

MelMel

KING BENTLEY.

:plzstop:

Iono ..... J Lo will have to reach DEEP for this

Is she the only Mexican tho. She play everybody :dead:

H.#.G.*.Z