Ancestry ppl, is it possible to identify as Native A. & African A.

Started by KING BENTLEY., August 20, 2017, 12:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KING BENTLEY.

I'm so lost on this ethnicity/race/nationality stuff

But anyways I'm asking coz my cousin, she came to my aunts funrel last week saying she's native-American and African-American.

And ppl were asking me, I was basically like :dead: yawl know Quita crazy so if she wanna be Pocohontas today and Harriet tomorrow just let ha lol

But then I was like wait ... that's nationalities anyways, so can you even check both boxes?

I'm so lost, this place is really the only outlet I have for questions like these ... eek 😬

H.#.G.*.Z

FlowerBomb

KING BENTLEY.

August 21, 2017, 09:56:01 AM #6 Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:58:53 AM by ORORO MUNROE-UDAKU
*edit

Happy Monday!
:jetbeauty:

H.#.G.*.Z

RAY7

Hey bro, you forgot to put this back when you updated to Happy Monday
Yea I kinda googled about the race boxes you can check (AA is considered both as well lolz)

But My initial question was to "identify" as both tho.

See .... my cousin Quita only started this recently.

And I mean I think I know what happened. Sis got on one of the ancestry sites. Saw some traces of Indian roots and ran with it

But, my question was, can a person TRULY identify as both. Quita can't really connect with the Indian struggle, and even my friends that are Indian and grew up in the culture are kinda offended.

See ... look. I feel like Indian is seen as exotic to some. So it's ok, in their mind, for them fetishize and pretend to connect with that culture.

We have white ancestors too, but you don't see me repping the Confederate flag.

I know... it's a pretty complicated issue. And it totally goes over some ppl heads, but cultural appropriation is real.

I appreciate the feedback. I decided I'm gonna talk to Quita privately and tell her how foolish she's being.

FlowerBomb

Quote from: AYR on August 21, 2017, 10:02:14 AM
Hey bro, you forgot to put this back when you updated to Happy Monday
Yea I kinda googled about the race boxes you can check (AA is considered both as well lolz)

But My initial question was to "identify" as both tho.

See .... my cousin Quita only started this recently.

And I mean I think I know what happened. Sis got on one of the ancestry sites. Saw some traces of Indian roots and ran with it

But, my question was, can a person TRULY identify as both. Quita can't really connect with the Indian struggle, and even my friends that are Indian and grew up in the culture are kinda offended.

See ... look. I feel like Indian is seen as exotic to some. So it's ok, in their mind, for them fetishize and pretend to connect with that culture.

We have white ancestors too, but you don't see me repping the Confederate flag.

I know... it's a pretty complicated issue. And it totally goes over some ppl heads, but cultural appropriation is real.

I appreciate the feedback. I decided I'm gonna talk to Quita privately and tell her how foolish she's being.
hshssjsbshjssjsjsj

KING BENTLEY.

August 21, 2017, 10:18:08 AM #10 Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:19:38 AM by ORORO MUNROE-UDAKU
Quote from: black, native + proud on August 21, 2017, 10:01:14 AM
The forms are based on ancestral origins, there's no additional questions regarding struggle, etc.

It's about whether or not the person chooses to identify with their heritage or not.
I'm not trying to be difficult

but do people always identify with their ancestral origins?

I mean, for example, ppl have lots of stuff show up from Africa? but I don't see them as happy to rep that.

I'm saying I feel like this is a unique thing with "Indian" heritage. It's exotic, and it's easy for ppl to rep it, but .... identifying with something is different than identifying AS something.

IMHO, I mean, you know me, I just have to be honest about my opinions twinzy :dead:

H.#.G.*.Z

GRAND

August 21, 2017, 10:18:25 AM #11 Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:18:33 AM by LORD GRAND SUPREME PRIME CELESTIAL MARSHALL
Quote from: ORORO MUNROE-UDAKU on August 20, 2017, 12:34:22 PM

:dead: yawl know Quita crazy so if she wanna be Pocohontas today and Harriet tomorrow just let ha lol

I'm shaking

CHOKE

Am proud of my African Mess and only rep that tbh

I get asked all the time what I'm mixed with but am black and I think people respect that

It's like they see this red skin gorl and she's proud of ha mess maybe I can be too

I feel a sense of honor to help people out like that, makes me happy

KING BENTLEY.

Quote from: Southside Qnz on August 21, 2017, 11:10:53 AM
Don't know if you're being serious or not :plzstop:

But Native history is one that is endangered.

Personally I am proud to be both African American and Native to this land and feel the need to rep it and let people know that Natives and their descendants are not extinct. We're still here.

But, what you won't find me doing is playing dress up with a headdress or jumping into a costume.

I'm finding ways to support my Native cousins but still realizing that although I have the  heritage, doesn't give me the right to morph into some character. People who do that clearly aren't really Native American because if they were, they'd have more respect for their ancestors and history.
s

and the next week you came back sporting a matching Malian sn and sig.

are you ... like .... dumb?

H.#.G.*.Z

KING BENTLEY.

H.#.G.*.Z