Alessia Cara on Backlash : 'I'm Aware That My Music Wasn't Released Yesterday'

Started by Lazarus, January 29, 2018, 03:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

Alessia Cara on Backlash Over Best New Artist Grammy Win: 'I'm Aware That My Music Wasn't Released Yesterday'
Alessia Cara won best new artist Sunday night at the 60th annual Grammy Awards, but her win was met with a lot of criticism, with viewers tweeting their disapproval of Cara?s win because she wasn?t a ?new artist.?

The ?Stay? singer took to Instagram to fire back at those who said she didn?t deserve the win, writing, ?To address the apparent backlash regarding winning something I had no control over: I didn?t log onto grammy.com and submit myself. that?s not how it works. I didn?t ask to be submitted either because there are other artists that deserve the acknowledgment.?

Cara added that she won something she had been wanting since she was a little kid and didn?t want to apologize for it.

?I?m aware that my music wasn?t released yesterday, I?m aware that, yes, my music has become fairly popular in the last year,? Cara adds. "But I?m trying very hard to use the platform I?ve been given talk about these things and bring light to issues that aren?t fair, all while trying to make the most of the weird, amazing success I?ve been lucky enough to have.?

[instagram]
[/instagram]

to address the apparent backlash regarding winning something I had no control over: I didn?t log onto grammy.com and submit myself. that?s not how it works. I didn?t ask to be submitted either because there are other artists that deserve the acknowledgment. but I was nominated and won and I am not going to be upset about something I?ve wanted since I was kid, not to mention have worked really hard for. I meant everything I said about everyone deserving the same shot. there is a big issue in the industry that perpetuates the idea that an artist?s talent and hard work should take a back seat to popularity and numbers. and I?m aware that my music wasn?t released yesterday, I?m aware that, yes, my music has become fairly popular in the last year. but I?m trying very hard to use the platform I?ve been given talk about these things and bring light to issues that aren?t fair, all while trying to make the most of the weird, amazing success I?ve been lucky enough to have. I will not let everything I?ve worked for be diminished by people taking offence to my accomplishments and feeling the need to tell me how much I suck. here?s something fun! I?ve been thinking I suck since I was old enough to know what sucking meant. I?ve beat u to it. And that?s why this means a lot to me. despite my 183625 insecurities, I?ve been shown that what I?ve created is worth something and that people actually give a shit. all of the years feeling like I wasn?t good at anything or that I was naive for dreaming about something improbable have paid off in a way that I have yet to process. I know it sounds cheesy and dumb but it?s the honest truth. thanks to everyone who?s shown me kindness and support along the way. I?ll stop talking now.

HUGO

She deserves every bit of this lashing. Give that Grammy to who it properly belongs to

:cheerup:

Kaeli.

I like Alessia so I?m gonna ignore this LMAO

But yea she shoulda been nominated last year. Can?t believe her album came out in 2015 :guys:

HUGO

Quote from: Kaeli. on January 29, 2018, 03:47:23 PM

But yea she shoulda been nominated last year. Can?t believe her album came out in 2015 :guys:

Wait this is even worse

I thought maybe she had released new music after. I?m fuming even more they did my girl Sza like this

:stressed:

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

BAPHOMET.

BAPHOMET.

they didnt wanna give it to someone black that bad that they had to REACH back

Kaeli.

I was rooting for SZA or Lil Uzi in this Category bc alessia aint new and Khalid & Julia are ass

yummy

Quote from: HUGO on January 29, 2018, 03:50:30 PM
Quote from: Kaeli. on January 29, 2018, 03:47:23 PM

Wait this is even worse

I thought maybe she had released new music after. I?m fuming even more they did my girl Sza like this

:stressed:

q

You know Sza has been around longer than her right?

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

BAPHOMET.

Mel.

People really do suck.
I'm so annoyed with everyone's need to complain about something nowadays

this girl seems sweet and is living her dream, who gives a fuck when she came out
if the committee thought she was eligible and wanted her to win, then that's that on that
sis didn't ask to be nominated, so why is she getting hate for it

congrats to her and fuck her naysayers.