Is your fave relevant in this generation?

Started by iman, October 26, 2015, 09:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iman

Most of us stan for artists who debuted in the late 80's/early 90's to late 90's. Are the bbys listening to them? Do they even know them?  :ohwow:

Malc mentioned how he asked some young people who they associate as R&B and that they mention Jason Derulo, Drake and Rihanna.

That's kind of fucking sad tbh :usuresis:

Makes me wonder if someone took a poll who would get mentioned

Young

October 26, 2015, 09:17:58 PM #1 Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:18:13 PM by Young
Monica isn't where the famous pop gorls are but she's certainly relevant.

She books shows and gigs with ease
Her singles get radio play
She's headlining her own tour

She's not in the struggling 90s has been Category

iman

Quote from: Young on October 26, 2015, 09:17:58 PM

v

She is tho.

I mean, do you think any 14 or 16 year old knows sis?  :plzstop:

Young

Quote from: iman on October 26, 2015, 09:18:40 PM

v

She is tho.

The ones who listen to R&B? Yes

iman

Quote from: Young on October 26, 2015, 09:19:28 PM
Quote from: iman on October 26, 2015, 09:18:40 PM

v

She is tho.

The ones who listen to R&B? Yes

:usuresis:

Young

iman

Herb.

Miranda

Casual music loving teens do not know Monica. And would know Brandy as an actress. Many kids know Kellz, because he worked with Justin Bieber and Chris Brown. One kid was like "He sings that PYD right?"

:plztop:

Other than that, I think the only 90's acts they know are Destiniy's Child and Usher.

Hell they probably know they 80's acts (Madonna, Michael, Prince, Whitney) better than the 90's stars.

Young

iman

October 26, 2015, 09:30:24 PM #11 Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:31:55 PM by iman
Quote from: Miranda on October 26, 2015, 09:28:16 PM
Casual music loving teens do not know Monica. And would know Brandy as an actress. Many kids know Kellz, because he worked with Justin Bieber and Chris Brown. One kid was like "He sings that PYD right?"

:plztop:

Other than that, I think the only 90's acts they know are Destiniy's Child and Usher.

Hell they probably know they 80's acts (Madonna, Michael, Prince, Whitney) better than the 90's stars.

also DWUW and praise from artists like Bruno Mars and Weeknd. And somehow a lot of the people know about "Ignition" and "Bump N' Grind"  :ohwow:

I just asked my brother, he's 16 and he mentioned some guy named Roy Woods and said "R. Kelly, of course" :stressed: made me so happy. Then he mentioned Bryson Tiller and Drake :overit:

Miranda

Back in the day even Lil Mo would cross over a lil bit. There was so much to pick from. Now it's just Bey, Rih or a white girl (Ariana, Jessie J, Adele)

My Nigerian cousin is an Ariana stan, went to concerts and all and probably doesn't even know what a Sevyn is. :stressed:

Young

I think to this generation a lot of R&B acts are unknown because they're aren't mainstream right now.

MelMel