Viola Davis Says She Regrets Her Role In ?The Help?

Started by Lazarus, September 13, 2018, 05:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

Although she garnered an Oscar nomination for her role in The Help, Viola Davis says that her portrayal of Abileen Clark was one of the roles she regrets taking.

During an interview at the Toronto Film Festival on Tuesday (Sept. 11), Davis divulged on why she regrets playing the character, stating that she doesn?t think the role provided a ?voice? for the women helmed as ?the help.?

?Have I ever done roles that I?ve regretted? I have, and The Help is on that list,? she told The New York Times after answering questions submitted by the publication?s readers. ?I just felt that at the end of the day that it wasn?t the voices of the maids that were heard. I know Aibileen. I know Minny. They?re my grandma. They?re my mom. And I know that if you do a movie where the whole premise is, I want to know what it feels like to work for white people and to bring up children in 1963, I want to hear how you really feel about it. I never heard that in the course of the movie.?

However, she said that she hopes to continue choosing roles that shine a positive light on women of color.

?Being that role model and picking up that baton when you?re struggling in your own life has been difficult? [but] I choose to be the leader.?

🦚

Hear 'em swarmin', right? (Zz) 🐝 🐝  is known to bite (Zz, zz)
——————///——————-
https://justiceforbreonna.org/

BAPHOMET.

🦚

There was nothing wrong with that role / movie.

It wasn?t a cliche / Shame mess out.

And it helped Octavia get her hiring rate up.
——————///——————-

Lazarus

Kurama

QuoteBeing that role model and picking up that baton when you?re struggling in your own life has been difficult. Looking at the deficit and seeing that once you?re on top, you can either take the role of leadership or you can toss it in the garbage and say, ?I?m just out to save myself.? I choose to be the leader

This. In any field for a Blk person.

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Vonc2002

Quote from: Lazarus on September 13, 2018, 05:22:24 PM
Lela Rochon was offered and passed on a role.

So basically this bitch just doesn't have an eye for a good story.  That's why she ain't been in anything outside of the basic films
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

🦚

Quote from: Vonc2002 on September 13, 2018, 05:39:55 PM

So basically this bitch just doesn't have an eye for a good story.  That's why she ain't been in anything outside of the basic films

:plzstop:
——————///——————-

BetterAngels

I agree.  I thought The Help wasn't a good movie.  It was more about the girl than the help.

Zankou.

was Lela offered the role or did she just get a script to audition like everyone else?

RAY7

Yea she?s tripping
Minnie and her shit pie stole the whole movie

Lazarus

September 13, 2018, 06:51:02 PM #13 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:51:44 PM by Lazarus
Quote from: Zanny on September 13, 2018, 06:46:27 PM
was Lela offered the role or did she just get a script to audition like everyone else?

She said there were things she was offered and was like meh. She didn't want to pursue The Help and threw the script in the trash. She also mentioned The Matrix too.

fedswatchin

Quote from: 21WeeksInTheTop10 vs 3 on September 13, 2018, 05:40:26 PM
Quote from: Vonc2002 on September 13, 2018, 05:39:55 PM

:plzstop:
Y'all like being wrong in every thread :dead: