Eve: "I thought of rap as a sisterhood. It was not like that"

Started by Freemala Harris, July 20, 2019, 08:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freemala Harris

Her debut album, Let There Be Eve, reached No 1 in the US, making her only the third female rapper to land the top spot after Lauryn Hill and Foxy Brown. "There definitely weren't a lot of females out there, and the labels were basically trying to make you get naked," she says. But with Ruff Ryders, it was always: 'We like who you are, we're not going to try and change you.'"

She says she was unaware of how the music industry would pit female rappers against one another. "Before I'd met anybody, I always thought of it as this sisterhood. I thought we were all gonna be friends. It was not like that. I'd see [Lil] Kim and say hi, and she'd be like: 'Get the fuck away from me." Not verbally – you could just tell what she was thinking. But I was in a bubble and it never felt like a competition. I loved Missy [Elliott] and Kim but I never wanted to be them."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jul/19/eve-i-thought-of-rap-as-a-sisterhood-it-was-not-like-that

Cowgirl

So basically no one ever fucked with each other back then too?

Cowgirl

Quote from: i'll get banned 4 Fox on July 20, 2019, 08:43:41 AM
I'm really crying

I'm glad she said something. Let outsider fans tell it, and they'd say Shim was some sort of welcoming and friendly girl who just wanted to see everyone win and mess.

She was a complete bitch. :plzstop: :plzstop: Especially if you were stepping in her territory as much as Fox was.
nccccccccvg

And here we were thinking they were having Ruff Ryder slumber parties every weekend

Cowgirl

Oh, and Nicki was the first rapper to be a bitch in history btw.

HUGO

Kim embraced the gorls. We would've never gotten a ladies night remix.

HUGO

The only direct competition for Kim was Foxy. And tbh they were cool in the beginning until Doodoo brown started jackin her shit

:diddraispoot:

Cowgirl

🦚

Eve came in starting shit with kim and with fox.

She came for ingrid on who's that girl and kim on blow your mind.

You get what you give.
Hear 'em swarmin', right? (Zz) 🐝 🐝  is known to bite (Zz, zz)
——————///——————-
https://justiceforbreonna.org/

RAY7

Quote from: i'll get banned 4 Fox on July 20, 2019, 08:43:41 AM
I'm really crying

I'm glad she said something. Let outsider fans tell it, and they'd say Shim was some sort of welcoming and friendly girl who just wanted to see everyone win and mess.

She was a complete bitch. :plzstop: :plzstop: Especially if you were stepping in her territory as much as Fox was.

I'd say Missy and Lauryn were the ones who minded their business and just did their thing. You never really saw them hopping in beefs with other rappers and going out of their way to shade the gorls on their songs.

And even til this day Missy genuinely seems as if she just loves to see female unity in rap.
!!!
and the rappers themselves these days now that they are past their prime and cordial they act like it was always all good and its so terrible that Nicki and Cardi cant get along  :kii: :kii: :kii:
like Kim and Foxy were in a whole shootout :uhh:

Cowgirl

Image-wise, Missy and Brat weren't in the same lane as her and neither was their content. Left Eye was beautiful but didn't play glam too often and her content wasn't similar either.

HUGO

Quote from: i'll get banned 4 Fox on July 20, 2019, 08:53:42 AM
Quote from: Hugo on July 20, 2019, 08:52:19 AM
Quote from: i'll get banned 4 Fox on July 20, 2019, 08:51:28 AM
Left Eye, Missy and Da Brat were not direct competition for Shim

And eve was?
She was definitely more in her lane than one of those dykes were.

Eve called herself a damn "pittbull in a skirt"  :dead: Sis wasn't quite selling sex like Kim and Fox.

Cowboy Nine

HUGO

Quote from: i'll get banned 4 Fox on July 20, 2019, 08:57:58 AM
Quote from: BowDown on July 20, 2019, 08:54:53 AM
Quote from: i'll get banned 4 Fox on July 20, 2019, 08:54:07 AM
Quote from: Hugo on July 20, 2019, 08:53:08 AM
The only direct competition for Kim was Foxy.
And she was not invited.

Next caaaaase
nsndbbdbdhdhhdd

Clock it!!
:blessed:

So funny that Shim could get along with everyone but the one bitch who was right next to her in that lane.

Fox showed her mad luv when she made her debut.
See: "Ill Na Na"

QuoteWaiting for Kim album to drop, knowin it's tight
Standing center stage, closin the show holdin a gat

https://genius.com/Foxy-brown-ill-na-na-lyrics

Kim showed doodoo brown love as well which is why they were kii kii sisters at first. Cut the shit!