Kehlani - It Was Good Until It Wasn't (Album Discussion)

Started by zaiye9837, April 24, 2020, 01:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilgamesh.

I wish she had done more with the Masego song. It doesn't really go anywhere. 

Beau

I wish serial lover was longer n she really played with adlibs... Won't lie the some songs just seem lazy/ unfinished ...it's like she was shooting for chill vibe rnb album a la summer debut.. but the production n lyrics n melodies carry this album so I can actually appreciate it.

Change your life, can you blame me, toxic, grieving, can I, hate the club, water, & bad news all have replay value and that's basically the whole album so I like it ...not a great album but  not bad at all. Definitely her least best from the last 2 projects (album & EP).

Dr Naomi Campbell

Beau

Quote from: Gilgamesh. on May 08, 2020, 02:32:56 AM

That's how I feel throughout the album makes me believe it's intentional, I can't help but hear PND influences n thats kinda his things as well

🦚

Quote from: Beau on May 08, 2020, 02:41:32 AM

That's how I feel throughout the album makes me believe it's intentional

she intentionally made a wack album? wow
Hear 'em swarmin', right? (Zz) 🐝 🐝  is known to bite (Zz, zz)
——————///——————-
https://justiceforbreonna.org/

Gilgamesh.

It's too vibey and abstract. I don't use for Kehlani for that sound.

Love Toxic. F&MU, Bad News and Can U Blame Me are good bit it's a step down from SSS. 

🦚

Quote from: Gilgamesh. on May 08, 2020, 02:42:57 AM
It's too vibey and abstract. I don't use for Kehlani for that sound.

Love Toxic. F&MU, Bad News and Can U Blame Me are good bit it's a step down from SSS.

she is always trying to be something she's not.

Like when she released that Honey mess
Hear 'em swarmin', right? (Zz) 🐝 🐝  is known to bite (Zz, zz)
——————///——————-
https://justiceforbreonna.org/

Gilgamesh.

Quote from: Slæyanla Vanzant on May 08, 2020, 02:42:17 AM
Quote from: Beau on May 08, 2020, 02:41:32 AM

That's how I feel throughout the album makes me believe it's intentional

she intentionally made a wack album? wow

Nnnn

I think she was going for the minimalist thing, sorta like an Urban James Blake.

Which is cool for girls like Kelela and Jhené who can arrange the hell out of a song, I love Lani's voice but she's not THAT girl so a lot of these songs just sound empty or boring.

Beau

BUT BABBBAAAY JAMES BLAKE VERSE ON "GRIEVING"  :melmel:

He DID THAt!

Beau

QuoteKehlani's obvious talent shines through on moments like this. Her new brooding sound frustratingly swamps the vivaciousness that fans loved on previous releases, as well as distracting from searing lyrics. 'Serial Lover', which sees Kehlani sing unashamedly about past relationships ("I got bodies I'm going to take to the grave / I've got girls I want to give my last name / No regrets, Don't got no shame") is the perfect middle-ground, combining the dark new production with a lithe Destiny's Child-tinted flute riff and strutting beats.

It's understandable for an artist to want to change their sound, but the problem with 'It Was Good Until It Wasn't' is that it loses sight of the sheer brilliance Kehlani has demonstrated on previous releases. The dark and sexy new songs shine their brightest when coated with a layer of her previous sparkle; which makes the artist's second album a fine but frustrating release.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nme.com/reviews/kehlani-it-was-good-until-it-wasnt-review-2660815%3famp

THIS!!!

Beau

Threw in "Good Thing" "Get Me" w/Justin, All Me" & "Hit My Phone" w/ Meg  for some uptempos mixed in

Im sure I'll toss "Baby Mama" Remix w/ Bran as well when Queen grants us the remix .

Navyman