vocaroo fun! let your voice be heard!

Started by tigernathan, April 13, 2016, 02:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herb.

Quote from: Sirius on April 13, 2016, 09:41:14 PM
Sometimes I feel it is an obsession and sometimes I feel like it could be an identity crisis. Like someone else said, a lot of us don't want to just be seen as AA's because we have been taught that we have no value and neither did our ancestors.

Other times, people just want to know how they came to be. I
!

And my grandmother just lights up with excitement when I tell her about what I found. It's crazy to find out that your grandparent who raised you isn't exactly who you thought they were. And to be honest, it's ignorant Black people who say things like "did you perm your hair" ... "what do u do to it to get it like that? " when they see someone with a dark complexion and curly hair, or calling you Ramen Noodle head because your hair isn't of a kinkier texture, that send you off finding answers wondering what the hell is so special or quirky, or fake about a Black person with these features.

And funnily those are the same people who will shade someone for finally going to seek answers. Who actually finds their ancestry is highly admixed, not mixed as in a slavemaster way way back, but mixed as in their grandparent not even being "Black. " Some Black people are insecure and backwards as hell, it's late and I have no time to cater to it. Or even empathize.

BAPHOMET.

I just dont care to look DEEP and wayyyyyy back. I know what my father is and what my mother is. I dont need to dissect it any further.

tigernathan

n

My issue isn't with ancestry research. There's power in knowing your roots honestly but I see why many reject it... It's one thing to read about slavery but it's different when you go back further in your own family tree and see how you got your English last name. What kind of identity crisis. fjjfj I couldn't imagine.

Herb.

Quote from: MAKEDA on April 13, 2016, 10:58:20 PM
n

My issue isn't with ancestry research. There's power in knowing your roots honestly but I see why many reject it... It's one thing to read about slavery but it's different when you go back further in your own family tree and see how you got your English last name. What kind of identity crisis. fjjfj I couldn't imagine.
For some that may be needed so you can see how it affected and impacted your own family.

Yes it's one thing to read about it, but sometimes I think we like to believe that we are further removed from certain times in history than we really are. My grandmother is still living and was alive to see the Civil Rights movement in action. My aunt and uncle were the only black kids in their classrooms post segregation.

It's a difference between researching a hurtful truth, and taking pride in it. I'd applaud anyone for having the guts to reach back to slavery, because shit gets real when you see those documents. It's educational and informative. Where's the negative in that? But I'd side eye someone who took pride in that particular portion of their ancestry. Or revered their slavemaster ancestor :udontlookok:

There's a lot of power in pride in cultures like Creoles and Melungeons. These were people of color who had status, power, and money. MOst of all, their freedom. I mean, who doesn't want that.  :ohwow: And their unique mix of DNA is still present way down the line. It's definitely strong, I don't know what's in it. BUt one word: Tina. :plzstop: and Julez.

LOONA.

Quote from: Baphomet. on April 13, 2016, 10:52:02 PMI know what my father is and what my mother is.

!!!!

Still might do my ancestry mess though.

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Vonc2002

Quote from: Baphomet. on April 13, 2016, 10:52:02 PM
I just dont care to look DEEP and wayyyyyy back. I know what my father is and what my mother is. I dont need to dissect it any further.
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Real

Quote from: Vonc2002 on April 13, 2016, 11:14:22 PM
Quote from: Baphomet. on April 13, 2016, 10:52:02 PM

Herb.

It's not really going way back if the DNA is still in your system, from that ancestor in amounts at or over 25%. It's a big part of who you are. Not a trace.

And knowing who my grandmother is, is knowing who mother was. Not all of us are fortunate to still have them with us. And my grandmother is learning about herself as well.

Proud of where my family is from, and no insecure person who's uncomfortable with my pride or my family's legacy can change that.

Young

Quote from: MAKEDA on April 13, 2016, 10:58:20 PM
n

omfff

Herb.

I'll end with this:

QuoteBut anyone who traces back to someone considered Melungeon before the Civil War is definitely Melungeon.

http://whatisamelungeon.webs.com/

Nite guys