is the age of ERAs.... over?

Started by ophababes., April 08, 2022, 02:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ophababes.

i've been looking at how NONE of the new acts in any category are giving what the girs seem to want

but i'm starting to feel like the expectation for artist roll outs are rooted in the past/what we got used to

single --> video --> album drop --> repeat 1-3x

but we living in the age of saweetie now. no albums necessary

single --> ride the buzz --> repeat ∞

have the days of an era passed us? do we need to adjust our expectations to the new way the gors are approaching it? thoughts...

JCJ 🪐

Dua and Doja are two of the only girls who have given us an ERA.
From 2024's Album of the Year, "Deeper Well"

Plastic.

nah, look at doja

she's milking her mess & woman is shaping up to be her biggest hit of the era  :dead:

best selling female rapper of all time

Cowboy Nine

I feel like Doja and Dua are the exceptions, not the rule. which was probably Oph's point.

Most girls don't really have eras anymore, with rollouts, like the ones we were used to.

tbh I wouldn't say eras are over but they've definitely changed.

It's more like throwing out a bunch of singles, then just dropping the album and going back to making more singles.

Cowgirl

Few have eras. Bey predicted this a long time ago.

Freemala Harris

Well the newer tiktok generation doesn't have much of an attention span so maybe

But when an artist can actually churn out an era and ride it out, it pays off. ie Dua & Future Nostalgia, Invasion Of Privacy, The Weeknd's previous era, ANTI, etc

Cartierline

Quote from: Freemala Harris on April 08, 2022, 02:48:37 PM
Well the newer tiktok generation doesn't have much of an attention span so maybe

But when an artist can actually churn out an era and ride it out, it pays off. ie Dua & Future Nostalgia, Invasion Of Privacy, The Weeknd's previous era, ANTI, etc

Freemala Harris

On a positive note, I feel like the microwavable era we live in his good for creatives/indie gorls

Nashe churns out multiple projects/EPs based on her inspiration at the time

Charli XCX caters to her fanbase like this among the pop zorls

Shit, even Calvin Harris said he'd focus more on singles/EPs

The problem for me is the quality. Cause its less of oof wanna dabble with something creatively different on various EPs

& more of throwing shit out till it sticks and not being able to carry an album for many reasons (shit some of my faves might fall under this category)

Demetri Lipa 🤴🏾

Quote from: Cartierline on April 08, 2022, 02:49:55 PM

French Exit ♻️

It's not a broken heart if I don't break it
"Goodbye" doesn't hurt if I don't say it
And I really hope you'll understand it
Only way to go is a French exit

People Tune In To see Stars.I'm a Star.I steal the Show- Demetrius

FAMÈ

I think it's more so because the girls are FLOPPING down and throwing out anything if they don't get a top 10. (Megan the Stallion, Clohe, etc)

FAMÈ

Doja's album was fuckin amazing. Her music is really fire. That's why the album has so many legs

ophababes.

ackkk

valid points all aroubd bbys

:ATLcameo:

Young

Quote from: Big Barbie on April 08, 2022, 02:36:04 PM
Few have eras. Bey predicted this a long time ago.

!!!

It's hard to have an era these days

Not many can do it atm

Ready for Trenches

Young

Quote from: DemetriusRocka 🤴🏾 on April 08, 2022, 03:25:59 PM
Quote from: Cartierline on April 08, 2022, 02:49:55 PM