The Marvin Gaye Estate Is Suing Ed Sheeran For His Song ?Thinking Out Loud?

Started by JRocka, August 10, 2016, 09:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRocka

The Marvin Gaye estate claims Ed Sheeran?s song ?Thinking Out Loud? shares a likeness to Gaye?s ?Let?s Get It On,? and they want compensation.

It wasn?t enough Gaye?s estate won $7 million in damages against Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams, who believed their song ?Blurred Lines? was a rip-off of Gaye?s 1977 single ?Got To Give It Up.? Now they?re after Ed Sheeran, alleging he ripped off the melody, harmony, and rhythm composition from ?Let?s Get It On? for ?Thinking Out Loud.? Gaye co-wrote the song along with Ed Townsend, both of whom are dead, and now the owners of Townsend?s estate are coming after Sheeran.

Compare both songs below:

Last month, Sheeran was hit with a similar suit. Two songwriters, Martin Harrington and Thomas Leonard, along with their publishing company HaloSongs, claim Sheeran?s ?Photograph? is a ?verbatim, note-for-note? copy of ?Amazing,? which was released by 2010 X Factor winner Matt Cardle.

They sound similar but I don't get copy cat vibes...what do you guys think?  :ATLcameo:

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

RAY7

I like Ed but, I love how its all these non Black artists getting busted for stealing from old school Black artists
karma for not playing our music

FRANCE

Robin Thicke's song was a clear rip-off. This is reaching. That's like Fantasia getting sued by James Brown's ppl for Sleeping With The One I Love.

BAPHOMET.

RAY7

Quote from: Francois Lite on August 10, 2016, 10:06:11 PM
Robin Thicke's song was a clear rip-off. This is reaching. That's like Fantasia getting sued by James Brown's ppl for Sleeping With The One I Love.
Fantasia openly says that her song is inspired by James
and has included the original in her set

FRANCE

Quote from: Yar backwards on August 10, 2016, 10:08:40 PM
Quote from: Francois Lite on August 10, 2016, 10:06:11 PM
Fantasia openly says that her song is inspired by James
and has included the original in her set
And even if she didn't state it, I'm sure they'd leave her alone. And I'm sure Ed is 'inspired' by a lot of artists too. Lets Get It On doesn't sound anything like Thinking Out Loud. That's way too much of a stretch.

b7

b7

but damn, if thats the case, a whole lotta people gon be in TROUBLE from here on out

if ur this damn inspired, just ask for permission to sample the man, cuz the Gayes aint fuckin playin i suppose