HARRIET - TRAILER (In Theaters 11/01)

Started by GLOCK, July 23, 2019, 11:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalifornia.

Kalifornia.

Quote from: BAPH. on July 23, 2019, 02:55:34 PM
Quote from: Kalifornia on July 23, 2019, 02:52:42 PM
Quote from: jtwoeleven on July 23, 2019, 12:50:15 PM
Why do y'all hate slave movies? I think they serve an important purpose, but that depends a lot on who's making it, and how it's handled.

There's a lot of historical misinformation floating around, especially about American slavery. There are too many voices out there who try to minimize its impact, or flat out lie about historical events, like the civil war for example.

I agree, but I want more diverse roles for Black folks. I'm tired of always seeing us as slaves & maids, or in comedy & hood flicks.

Thank gawd we are finally getting more variety in the big roles for Black actors

Did you go see Taraji's "Proud Mary" ? Or whatever that movie was that was like SALT

I saw it when it came out on Prime

b7

Cynthia Erivo 😍 i love her so much. I hope she does a soundtrack for it

Looks like a TV movie though :dead:  and Janelle monae is a solid actress but this role seems modern and out of place. Idk what it is but I'm not using

yummy

July 23, 2019, 04:00:43 PM #93 Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:01:31 PM by animmai.
The "tired of slave movies" thing is always a kii because I'm sure most people can name maybe five slavery themed films they've seen in their entire lifetime, but niggas act like like Hollywood is popping one out every year like the MCU.

Vonc2002

Quote from: Kalifornia on July 23, 2019, 03:05:54 PM
Quote from: BAPH. on July 23, 2019, 02:55:34 PM
Quote from: Kalifornia on July 23, 2019, 02:52:42 PM
Quote from: jtwoeleven on July 23, 2019, 12:50:15 PM
Why do y'all hate slave movies? I think they serve an important purpose, but that depends a lot on who's making it, and how it's handled.

There's a lot of historical misinformation floating around, especially about American slavery. There are too many voices out there who try to minimize its impact, or flat out lie about historical events, like the civil war for example.

I agree, but I want more diverse roles for Black folks. I'm tired of always seeing us as slaves & maids, or in comedy & hood flicks.

Thank gawd we are finally getting more variety in the big roles for Black actors

Did you go see Taraji's "Proud Mary" ? Or whatever that movie was that was like SALT

I saw it when it came out on Prime
I went and saw it in theaters.  I'm better than u
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Vonc2002

Janelle gave me what i needed here tbh and I love what i saw from her
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Young

They gonna run the slave mess into the ground huh 

But this sounds iconic 

Vonc2002

Quote from: animmai. on July 23, 2019, 04:00:43 PM
The "tired of slave movies" thing is always a kii because I'm sure most people can name maybe five slavery themed films they've seen in their entire lifetime, but niggas act like like Hollywood is popping one out every year like the MCU.

Not true. And it's not just about the movie being a "slave movie". It's about black people being in these roles of servitude, so even if the movie isn't a "slave movie" it still feels like watching some shit like that because it's very much that same lowly ass, depressing vibe

Vonc2002

12 years a slave
The help
The butler
Selma
Birth of a nation
Django
Like :dead:
Even sumn like Fences and When they see us because it's still watching black people on some struggle shit. It's ALL the same kinda shit to me

BAPHOMET.

I get what you're saying and its kinda like we want want to keep Slavery under wraps and in the past. Kinda like how whites do.

WHY YA GOTTA BRING UP SLAVERY THAT WAS SO LONG AGO.

:bvy: but i think it just pissed most of us off. We hate to see it

Sovereign.

!!!!!

yummy

Quote from: BAPH. on July 23, 2019, 04:12:44 PM

I get what you're saying and its kinda like we want want to keep Slavery under wraps and in the past. Kinda like how whites do.

WHY YA GOTTA BRING UP SLAVERY THAT WAS SO LONG AGO.

:bvy: but i think it just pissed most of us off. We hate to see it

I understand the sentiment, but the exaggeration is what irks me. You're not seeing a new slavery movie pop up every like it's apart of some franchise.  :dead:

And there are plenty of other black films, new and old,  that cover a variety of topics, you're probably just gonna have to look further than Netflix and Hulu

Vonc2002

2011 The Help
2012 Django
2013 12 years a slave
           The Butler
2014 Selma
2016 Birth of a nation
          Loving
2017 Mudbound
          Hidden Figures
2019 When They see us
          The best of Enemies 

And these are just the few I could remember. Historically,  when black movies are made and recognized on a large scale, it's some slavery, maid, yessuh massa type shit

BAPHOMET.

Nine

I mean, cute.

Won't be watching though.