My white friend wants to borrow "ghetto" clothes for a Gangsta theme party

Started by SouravMay, May 10, 2016, 03:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouravMay

Quote from: herbie. on May 10, 2016, 03:52:38 PM
it's not racist, just ignorant as fuck. and close minded. he's only basing his perception on what he sees on TV and in much of Black culture. educate him on the fact that not all Black people adorn themselves in "hip hop clothes".

He did not say black. But my thing is the hip hop clothes, the gangsta rap style etc. came from a reality of struggle, poverty and discrimination. And these privileged white Euro gurs just dress up like this for kiis and drinks without knowing or appreciating the context of the culture.
B7

STUNNA GOD

DSSDSLDSDLDKLSDKLSDKLSDKSLDKLSLSDFSFFSSFSFSDSSLKLSKDLDKLSDKKSDSDLSDKSDSDS
DS
DSD
S
CLX
X
V
X
XMVXCMKXMCXMC,XCMX,CM,MC,CM,XMCX,MC,XMC,XCMXMCX,MCX,MX,CXMCMXCMC,XMCXC

SouravMay

Now if he was 13 and just mimicking his fave okay. But these are all academic and intellectual 20 somethings, it is just distasteful IMO. But on the other hand the whole style was mainstream and crossed over the world during that time, so for the throwback factor he has a point.
B7

Rxxf

Quote from: herbie. on May 10, 2016, 03:52:38 PM
it's not racist, just ignorant as fuck. and close minded. he's only basing his perception on what he sees on TV and in much of Black culture. educate him on the fact that not all Black people adorn themselves in "hip hop clothes".

it's extremely ignorant.
and it's interesting cause "hip hop clothes/style" has evolved throughout the years.
BRANDY

tigernathan

You should be offended that he asked YOU for ghetto clothes tho

SouravMay

He's been in town only for 2 years, I am his only black friend here.
B7

tigernathan

yummy

Judging all these justifications, you don't seem to be that bothered by it.

pCj

Maybe they saw what you wore on German Idol and they're assuming you still have something like that?

AIDS!

Right!? :uhh:
Gorl just give fish out that fubu shirt and call it a day

Rxxf

BRANDY

SouravMay

Quote from: herbie. on May 10, 2016, 04:01:37 PM
Quote from: ANIMMAI on May 10, 2016, 04:00:59 PM
Judging all these justifications, you don't seem to be that bothered by it.

Well at first I was... But then I realized who he was and that he wouldn't mean any harm. But I was not sure how to feel and consulted with you a bit...

On the one hand, the thought weirds me out on the other hand it is kind of a retro 2000's party
B7