Snoop Dogg calls for a BOYCOTT of "Roots"

Started by Ashley Bank$, May 31, 2016, 05:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rxxf

Quote from: aGhoulact on May 31, 2016, 09:36:44 PM
Quote from: ? on May 31, 2016, 08:35:16 PM
Quote from: aGhoulact on May 31, 2016, 08:28:57 PM
These professional writers can't make up shit; they always gotta base their stories on shit that happened in the past. Not every story that gets publicized has to be factual :uhh: unoriginality and money hunger at its finest. White writers aren't gonna go out of their way to create stories about other races unless oppression is somehow involved. That's his point.

As deplorable as you portray yourself to be...
This statement is truth.
Thanks, hun

And what you said was so important. Through storytelling, we learn new things, especially younger kids. We don't need to be givin historical background checks in films, tv series as much as we do when we can be using these ethnic artists to tell brand new stories that have yet to be told, possibly inspiring black and all types of youth to aspire for something greater. What is a remake of Roots going to truly inspire a young person to do, or an older one for that matter? To not be racist? Ppl should've been known that
BRANDY

Sinpool

Quote from: BENTLEY! on May 31, 2016, 09:56:15 PM
But I see what Snoop is saying

Can we get a Howarts mess out or fantastical story even based on voo doo, without it being a demonizing skeleton key mess out

Shit I'll even take a story set in the GHETTO if they throw magic in there. Jamal and Shameka wanna cast spells too.

I loved that British movie Attack the Block with John Boyega. It was a british hood sci fi mess out.

Rxxf

May 31, 2016, 10:05:54 PM #32 Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:06:39 PM by ?
Quote from: Dumas. on May 31, 2016, 10:00:34 PM
I'd love to see a movie on the Free People of Color too.
Not all Blacks in the pre-Civil War era and shortly thereafter were downtrodden and in despair, many came to Louisiana from their homeland on their own terms with their own tea.
Built businesses, schools , and all.
They used their education and influence to help jumpstart the Civil Rights movement.

Kids should learn about and be exposed to them IMO.

I love you dearly...
But it's missing the mark.
Some how, some way.

These movies are not telling anyone anything different than what they may experience today in 2016. Eric Garner, anyone?

Tell NEW stories... with rich (personality wise) characters living all types of lives... give inspiration and knowledge through that. My former supervisor, white man, told me that he used to watch The Cosby Show (I know, Bill is a mess, but...) and he said that that family played a role in helping him to be inspired to achieve in life ...

Just show young black, white, asian kids the possibilities with AA faces.
Let's do something different.

I don't know.
BRANDY

Rxxf

As a matter of fact... I looked around on TV the other day.
And AA television is replaced with AA REALITY shows... The basketball wives, The housewives...

That, is a problem, within itself.

Even if I wanted my younger family members to be well-rounded... is that all of what I have to show them? Where is the Family Matters? Where is Moesha? It's not good.
BRANDY

BranLover

Omg. I actually do wanna see a movie about this. It could definitely motivate and wake us up.

The date was June 1, 1921, when "Black Wall Street," the name fittingly given to one of the most affluent all-Black communities in America, was bombed from the air and burned to the ground by mobs of envious whites. In a period spanning fewer than 12 hours, a once thriving 36-Black business district in northern Tulsa lay smoldering--a model community destroyed, and a major African-American economic movement resoundingly defused.

The night's carnage left some 3,000 African Americans dead, and over 600 successful businesses lost. Among these were 21 churches, 21 restaurants, 30 grocery stores and two movie theaters, plus a hospital, a bank, a post office, libraries, schools, law offices, a half dozen private airplanes and even a bus system. As could have been expected the impetus behind it all was the infamous Ku Klux Klan, working in consort with ranking city officials, and many other sympathizers.

leftout

Quote from: Dumas. on May 31, 2016, 10:08:59 PM
I still think there's a need for slavery movies because that part of America's history should NEVER be swept under the rug or forgotten. But I definitely align with what you guys are saying as well. Snoop encourages everyone to create their own stories, you can start by doing your research and saying "no thnx" to exclusively feeding on whatever the whites serve to us on a platter. And unsubscribing to white man's theory, such as one drop rules, and all that other mess.

Snoop is onto something but there's a lot of internal work that needs to be done within the community so these beautiful stories can really begin to sprout.
to me, it's like they're glorifying slavery because they know black audiences will run to support it.

Sinpool

Yeah it's not as easy as people think to just go out and create your own. People are going out and creating their own, it's just they aren't getting the funding and backing that they need.

Rxxf

We are not unaware.
But it's not enough.

Slave movies outnumber these shows right now.

And the OSCARS only support those kind of Slave-like films.
BRANDY

Rxxf

2 black shows are not nothing compared to what our generation or uncle/aunts generations had growing up.
BRANDY

Rxxf

Afro... no one is saying get rid of slave movies.
We need to know our history.
That goes without saying.

BUT are we gonna talk about HISTORY all day long and NOT portray new AA characters?
The AA people I know are not slaved up.
They are perched, educated, condo-living downe, and slaying the scene.
I mean. Come on.
BRANDY

Rxxf

But I bet, my little cousins (innocently) would correlate an AA person to slave or living in the "hood" before they correlate an AA person with being perched in some fancy high-rise. 

That's a problem. And it's annoying me.

And those movies are not always helping the WAY people think they are.

I'm sorry. I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Still love you.
BRANDY

leftout

Quote from: Dumas. on May 31, 2016, 10:15:15 PM
Quote from: ? on May 31, 2016, 10:05:54 PM
Quote from: Dumas. on May 31, 2016, 10:00:34 PM
I'd love to see a movie on the Free People of Color too.
Not all Blacks in the pre-Civil War era and shortly thereafter were downtrodden and in despair, many came to Louisiana from their homeland on their own terms with their own tea.
Built businesses, schools , and all.
They used their education and influence to help jumpstart the Civil Rights movement.

Kids should learn about and be exposed to them IMO.

I love you dearly...
But it's missing the mark.
Some how, some way.

These movies are not telling anyone anything different than what they may experience today in 2016. Eric Garner, anyone?

Tell NEW stories... with rich (personality wise) characters living all types of lives... give inspiration and knowledge through that. My former supervisor, white man, told me that he used to watch The Cosby Show (I know, Bill is a mess, but...) and he said that that family played a role in helping him to be inspired to achieve in life ...

Just show young black, white, asian kids the possibilities with AA faces.
Let's do something different.

I don't know.
Well if we're talking about simply putting out "new, fresh" stories, we already have EMPIRE. We also have "Black-Ish", which definitely introduces the new concept of Black family in a wholesome setting, etc.

Are we unaware of these shows?
Well, the title black-ish is proof whites will generally only write in a minority character for superficial, stereotypical reasons. It is definitely a great show though.

Rxxf

Quote from: Dumas. on May 31, 2016, 10:28:11 PM
and her got damn sittin up in my room ass diary.

I can't argue over whose life was more SHITTY than the next.
Not the cause I want to fight for.

I want NEW AA characters to be seen.

Period.
BRANDY

BAPHOMET.

Rxxf

Quote from: Dumas. on May 31, 2016, 10:32:28 PM
Quote from: ? on May 31, 2016, 10:30:43 PM
Quote from: Dumas. on May 31, 2016, 10:28:11 PM
and her got damn sittin up in my room ass diary.

I can't argue over whose life was more SHITTY than the next.
Not the cause I want to fight for.

I want NEW AA characters to be seen.

Period.
If you read closely you'd see my argument wasn't who had it worse.

Let me reread.
BRANDY